Maybe It's Me but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe It's Me but...

Permit me to vent just a bit. I have a website or two to display my photography. One site permits watermarking but it's a bit more complicated than ususal. Sometime in October I attempted to change the watermark and the hosting site didn't accept it. Instead the host pasted a rather large "PROOF" diagonally across the images. Yikes! Not pleasing to look at all.

It was during this time that someone viewed my Air Racing gallery on that site and proceded to place a comment on the gallery that was both rude and uncalled for. Typical of today's society...be as mean-spirited as you can and you'll get attention. Sad.

Reason I bring this up here is in the comment this individual mentioned a very prominent photography contributor to AAFO by name when he went on say neither that photographer nor other Reno photographers ("...including myself...") would think of protecting images in that manner.

It was that last part that got me thinking perhaps, and I sincerely hope it's not the case, but perhaps this person is a visitor, contributor to AAFO.

So, if you're reading this, whoever you are, show you got a pair and leave your name next time. I fully appreciate the constructive critisism but the rude, mean-spirited dribble was uncalled for. Better yet, learn from your childish behavior and be the adult you're supposed to be.

OK...I'm better now. Thanks.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: Maybe It's Me but...

I just read the comments posted Sure looks like typical "Proof" to me.

Great photos and the website is nicely done.

Comment

Air Judge: your pictures are beautiful. don't fret the dopey post. Thanks for what you do!

Comment

Ignore the Asshat. There's ALWAYS someone who thinks they need to have some opinion about what you do.

--Mark

Comment

Owen,

Don't let the comments from one faceless person bother you.

Your images are really great. I just went through my Dads copy of your Pylon Judge book. Thanks for putting it together, it means alot to him.

Sincerely, planecrazy2

(Howard Merritt's son, Glen)
          '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Nice work! Especially like the close up focus on the pilots in-flight.

Comment

Very nice!
              If it's any consolation, that 'tude seems to be everywhere on these boards nowadays.
              Don't know if it the anonymity that gives people a pair and makes them drop all tact and politeness, but they do. It seems that most comment sections and discussion boards degrade fairly quickly into cat fights and insults!
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Owen,
                It's terrible what people will write with no consideration of how much it will hurt a real person. They have a problem. Don't let their problems keep you from doing what you love to do.
                pylon judge, race fan

Comment

Thanks All. Wasn't a plea for sympathy but certainly appreciate the comments and expressions of support. Take the pats on the back and stiff upper lip stuff anytime!

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.

I've been reluctant to start the clock but...275 days and counting.

Cheers all,
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

There are a lot of amazing things about the internet. Most of them are good, but there is always the chance encounter with the other side of things. It is unfortunate, but "just consider the source."

I did not read the offending comment.

I have looked at your images and enjoy looking at them. I also appreciate you not using inordinately large watermarks. As a matter of personal opinion, I sometimes wonder why some people bother to post their images online after intentionally defacing them with enormous "bullseye" watermarks, but it is their privilege to do so.

I only have the opportunity to shoot a few air shows every year and have continued to explore the balance between a shutter speed slow enough to blur the propeller blades and still keep the image sharp. I mention this because I appreciate you posting some of the EXIF data for the photographs of aircraft. It gives me a better understanding of your images and an appreciation of the difficulty in achieving such fine results.

Thanks for sharing your images.

Cheers,
                    Richard

Comment

Thanks, Richard. They EXIF data really helps me as well. Learn a lot from folks like Victor, Two Zero, Bucky, etc. and try to apply it where I can.

Now that I assigned to Home Pylon (I'm the radio guy for all judges and also to Timing/Scoring, etc.) the light is really horrible for any shots to speak of, except in the AM for the Bips' and F1. But I've got a great gig and the best seat in the house, no question.

Happy shooting. Splendid Subjects...Wonderous Light!

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Owen
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

Wow, nice shots. When I grow up i want to be a (good) photographer!

Comment

Working...
                        X