This Golden Age race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Golden Age race?

There is nothing on the Reno web site except the time, but who is flying and which of the golden age racers are showing up.
    anybody got any idea the line up for this race?
    ECVSteve
    E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
    Reno Fan since around "82"

I was told by someone who "should know" that Delmar Benjamin and the GeeBee are scheduled to be there. Also heard a rumor that the Laird Super Solution replica would be there...but that was a rumor and must be treated as such.

Comment

Golden Age Racers at reno

The golden age racers that have agreed to make the trip to Reno are;
      GeeBee 2
      Mew Gull (being shipped from England)
      Super Solution
      Laird-Turner Racer
      Mister Mulligan

And Jim Wright was scheduled to return with the Hughes H-1. I have heard that Kermit Weeks had purchased Delmar Benjamin's GeeBee. I talked to each of the owners at Oshkosh and they were still planning on bringing the racers to Reno. With the Hughes H-1 crash the whole thing may have been cancelled. I am trying to find that out. The racers are not scheduled to race but will fly in a parade of some sort. Looking forward to seeing all of them at Reno. Nearly all of these racers were at AirVenture 2003. Great looking aircraft all of them.

Dave

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to the rest of the Golden Age Race field? We travelled from England to support the Mew Gull and to see all those superb US racers 'in the flesh', only to find the 'Meteor' (which, incidentally, is a beauty!)...

Comment

I don't know what happened with the rest of the "Golden Age Racers" but due to a disagreement between Delmar Benjamin and the Reno Air Racing Assn., Delmar, along with the GeeBee R-2 Replica, was asked not to attend.

A very unfortunate thing, because it would have been wonderful to see Delmar there one last time. He has sold the airplane to the Kermit Weeks collection and they had planned on bringing both the former Benjamin R-2 and another GeeBee that is in the Weeks collection.

From what I understand, next year at Sun-n-Fun, both airplanes will be flown. Should be a grand showing!

I hope I've ruffled no feathers with this "revelation" but it is what happened, however unfortunate that it was.

Wayne Sagar
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ouch....RARA really needs to quit uninviting people like this.

Comment

Interesting. There is an earlier model Gee Bee here in Lincoln and when I heard about the Supposed Golden age race, I emailed RARA for information on it to pass along to the owner. I got a reply Mr. H himself, stating nothing of the sort was planned, but theplane could be displayed at the heritage area.

Comment

Vintage Racers

Sure would have been neat to see the Hughes H-1 fly with the Roscoe Turner replica.....(and the Gee Bees etc.) ...tragic

Maybe when my friend Lee Oman gets his Gee Bee finished- we will see #4, #7 and #11 fly together?? That would be very COOL!

Man, I can just see it now..............
                The Gee Bee R-1, Gee Bee R-2, Gee Bee Z, Turner LTR-14,
                Mr. Mulligan, Keith Rider R-3, maybe even a couple Wedell-Williams replicas, (while I'm dreaming) maybe even "Firecracker" and "Mr. Smoothie".....running around the pylons at Reno.......

What an event that would be! hahaha

I must say one thing, that Mew Gull sounded SWEET!!!!!!

I can only wonder what some of the other vintage racers sounded like- I bet "Firecracker" SCREAMED!!

All the best, Randy Goss (Air Racing Dreamer)
                Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
                X