Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PISTON, Packard V1650-9. Voodoo Mustang Race 5, Matt Jackson, Bob Hannah markings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PISTON, Packard V1650-9. Voodoo Mustang Race 5, Matt Jackson, Bob Hannah markings.

SOLD. SOLD. SOLD...

Offering this piston with Voodoo Race 5, Matt Jackson, Bob Hannah markings on it. It's 5.25 inches in diameter, silver in color, with the words I believe to be: "Blown up by Matt Jackson, Voodoo #5, Bob Hannah" and looks like Bob Hannah signed it also.

You can compare it to another piston that I photo'd months ago (which I never acquired) and it appears to be the same 5.25" diameter. Pictures of the two pistons here:

I googled Bob Hannah's autograph and the signature on the piston looks like Bobs autograph on this poster shown here: http://www.motocrossgiant.com/PhotoD...H701PSPictures here:

I was told by a viewer from this forum that it is from a Packard V1650-9 motor, here is what he said about it:

"Packard V1650-9 is what they call a "100 Series" engine as the internal oiling system is what they call end fed. The -9 was the latest engine in production that Packard built. The -9 is the engine that was used in the P-51H as well as the same basic engine layout with a few changes was used in the Merlin powered P-82's. In the P-82's they were V1650-23/25, one RH prop rotation & one LH prop rotation. The -9 parts are used in the build up of race engine's by some of us, all the Allison rod engines I've built incorporate a lot of -9 parts in them. The piston in the pics is a stock unit for a -9 Packard engine, unmodified. In VooDoo there have been -9 parts used, but I suspect whatever flavor of piston had been used in those engines would've been modified for a differant ring package."
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM.
Working...
X