Best day to qualify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best day to qualify?

Sorry to those of you that have already read this, but I think it got lost during the evolution of the 500 mph lap thread.

What is the usual thinking about when to qualify? There are a few different scenarios that I can see happening. Anybody out help me with this?

1) Go for the record on Monday so that if you break you have more time to repair and try again.

2) Qualify at "reasonable" settings, and go for the record if conditions are right later in the week.

3) Wait and see what everybody else does and qualify when conditions are right, even if it is late on Wednesday.

I ask this because I can't get up to Reno til Wednesday. I will be bringing my parents and want to show them the fast guys in the air. I have been hyping the event to them for many years, and finally have gotten a commitment to go. What are the chances of seeing "gold qualifiers" in the air on Wednesday? Does anybody have a schedule for qualifying days, the RARA site doesn't list anything about qualifying. Due to other commitments, we are leaving after the Thursday show. As I remember, none of the gold qualifiers fly that day, except for a few that may be in the air before and after the show, can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
    Brewski
    Brewski

Qualifying Days

Brewski,

As you stated in your post conditions play a major role in the qualifying game. Past years have shown that team Dago Red prefers to go out on Mondays session and fly the course on a preset power settings. As Bill has stated, We like to go out and qualify early and get it out of the way. The 500 MPH lap is not something I believe the team is specifically hunting for during a qualifying session. If all the elements fall into place when they decide to qualify you may see it. Otherwise, they are looking to qualify as the top dog. The rest of the field is a mystery. Weather conditions play heavily in the process and my advice would be to check the weather pattern for the week and look for cool, calm conditions. Best advice I can give you bud. Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

Dave

Comment

Re: Qualifying Days

Originally posted by paintboy
      Weather conditions play heavily in the process and my advice would be to check the weather pattern for the week and look for cool, calm conditions.
      Dave,

I'm never really sure of anything anymore (gettin ooold here) but, I think that you'd really want to watch for HOT conditions rather than cool... The engine might produce more power during cool dense air conditions but the airframe has to plow through that denser air. I believe the "right" conditions for really fast laps is very hot air, because the density altitude is therefore higher... the engine boost system can compensate for that thinner air and produce good power... The indicated airspeed would be lower but the actual ground speed/airspeed ratio would be higher...

Racers..... am I right here? Or.. all wet?

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Qualifying Conditions

Wayne,

You may very well be right. I will have to confer with my staff of experts. Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X