Voodoo - a question for the statisticians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo - a question for the statisticians

Voodoo - another one, like the 'Ghost, whose potential has been obvious but has not (so far) been realized.

A question for the statisticians out there - what was the fastest lap ever turned by Voodoo (either race or qualifying)?

Re: Voodoo - a question for the statisticians

I think I asked something similar and got crickets. I think 2010 Qul lap is close to thier best. I have heard whispers of faster speeds last two years. I hope some answers this better than I have.

Comment

Ahh...the big "Voodoo" question.

She's for sale, so for record, just how fast is she??

Button and the team have made a once fast mustang, even faster since they arrived at Phoenix in '95 with a pretty purple 'stang. She wasn't new to the air racing circuit though. Let's look back to when Speer owned her.

Let's see, some stats to note:
      '87 - 5th in the Gold at 386.892mph (First year out!)
      '89 - Finished 1st ahead of Yancey, Crocker, and Rheinschild in Friday's Heat 2B.

'90 - Qualified at 404.640mph...(Remember that's about equal with a 420mph lap today)

'91 - Ran consistently ahead of #66 "Fury

'93 - Qualified 4th at 429.2720 ... (Ahead of Dago!!)

Something to note, Speer's other mustang, "Deja Vu" was pretty fast also, for a sleeper stang.

We all know the major transformation #55 (now #5) has gone through over the years.... It's certainly as sleek as anything, I think the question is, has the curse been lifted? Plagued with mechanical and engine difficulties in the past, it's only now that we are starting to see her real potential.

'10 - Qualified 2nd at 479.180mph
      '11 - Qualified 2nd at 485.184mph

One thing's for sure....it's fast.

Joseph

Comment

485.948 When it won the Saturday heat race in 2009.

Comment

[QUOTE=Idaho_cowpony;97340]Ahh...the big "Voodoo" question.

'90 - Qualified at 404.640mph...(Remember that's about equal with a 420mph lap today)

Why do you say this ? Change in the race course or somesuch ?

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
            Ahh...the big "Voodoo" question.
            We all know the major transformation #55 (now #5) has gone through over the years.... It's certainly as sleek as anything, I think the question is, has the curse been lifted? Plagued with mechanical and engine difficulties in the past, it's only now that we are starting to see her real potential.

'10 - Qualified 2nd at 479.180mph
            '11 - Qualified 2nd at 485.184mph

One thing's for sure....it's fast.

Joseph
            ...and I wish (like everyone else) that we had the opportunity the past two years to show everyone what she had under the hood. There was a lot left and in many ways, we felt it was better than Dago.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Galloping Guy View Post
              485.948 When it won the Saturday heat race in 2009.
              Was that an average race speed or a lap speed?

I'm curious as to the fastest lap that Voodoo has turned.

Michael, do you by any chance have the official speeds for the first 2 laps from Friday's heat this year? Were there any official times from this race, even?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
                Was that an average race speed or a lap speed?

I'm curious as to the fastest lap that Voodoo has turned.

Michael, do you by any chance have the official speeds for the first 2 laps from Friday's heat this year? Were there any official times from this race, even?
                Given the outcome of the race, I don't think anyone on our trailer wrote down any times.

Attached is the speed from the telemetry. Ground speed varies with wind on the course and I calculated a reasonable true airspeed from the indicated. I think the first lap average aircraft speed was around 490-495mph.

Michael
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Michael f/sharing that Voodoo telemetry. No doubt in my mind that had we seen a Reno 2011 UNL Gold Trophy Sunday final- it would've been the 500+mph record race everyone was hoping to see all these years (assuming, of course the engines held up). And probably a good chance that record would've been broken by more than the first-place finisher, I would've bet. *Sigh*...

DBD

Comment

I was timing Will in Voodoo from a position right in front of Team Steadfast's pit so I was not at the Finish Line. I only had a brief second to look at the time for the 2nd lap when Jimmy flew right over the top of us. I did look at my watch later that evening and I had Will at 483mph average for the 2nd lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Unlimited Fan View Post

Why do you say this ? Change in the race course or somesuch ?
                      Do a little searching on the forums, but it's not a much the actual course change(s) over the years, as it is how the speeds are now calculated.

Joseph

Comment

Working...
                      X