Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

searching for Air Classic photographer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching for Air Classic photographer..

1981 was my first year at the Reno Air Races and at a young age standing on a Pylon was a great thrill. , March 1982 the Reno Issue of Air Classic came out and we were shocked to find our 1970 VW Van and my brother in a Photograph with Lefty Gardner's "White Lightning". Opposite page was an article about Lefty's low flying and wingtip damage due to tree trimming.

This year i finally got my hands on that issue and would love to have a copyof this photograph. If anyone has any idea who took this Photo or how we could locate a copy it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: searching for Air Classic photographer..

I experienced the same thing in 1982.

I THINK it was '82...could be '83, but doubtful. One of the unlimited Mustangs (time prevents me from remembering which one) drifted off the side of the runway into the sand while landing, and ended up doing an end-over-end cartwheel, tweaking the whole airframe.

Well, the Monday after the races we decide to take my friend's beige VW Rabbit to the far "Military display" end of the field to look around before we headed back home to the S.F.bay area. The 'Stang in question was parked out there. from head-on you could see the wing bent one way, stabilizer the other, and fuselage twisted.

When the Reno issue of air classics came out late that year, there was a full page photo of the aircraft as it sat there, and off to the side,in the background of the photo was my friend's car. We got a kick out of that.

I've been searching for a copy of the issue or at least the photo, but have had no success. Is it in your issue? If it happened in 1982 then it should be in there.
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Hi scott the Photographer you are refering to is Ron Buda, i havent seen or herd form Ron in over 10 years he used work for the San Jose Mercery news and he work in Freemont were i used to live. Last i herd he might be retired from them. Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post

I THINK it was '82...could be '83, but doubtful. One of the unlimited Mustangs (time prevents me from remembering which one) drifted off the side of the runway into the sand while landing, and ended up doing an end-over-end cartwheel, tweaking the whole airframe.

Well, the Monday after the races we decide to take my friend's beige VW Rabbit to the far "Military display" end of the field to look around before we headed back home to the S.F.bay area. The 'Stang in question was parked out there. from head-on you could see the wing bent one way, stabilizer the other, and fuselage twisted.

When the Reno issue of air classics came out late that year, there was a full page photo of the aircraft as it sat there, and off to the side,in the background of the photo was my friend's car. We got a kick out of that.

I've been searching for a copy of the issue or at least the photo, but have had no success. Is it in your issue? If it happened in 1982 then it should be in there.
        The aircraft in question was Wiley Sander's "Georgia Mae" and was being flown by John Putnam (sp?) as memory serves. I was at the event in '82 and don't recall "Georgia Mae" being present. I may have a copy of said "Air Classics" I could spare.

Chad Veich

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
          The aircraft in question was Wiley Sander's "Georgia Mae" and was being flown by John Putnam (sp?) as memory serves. I was at the event in '82 and don't recall "Georgia Mae" being present. I may have a copy of said "Air Classics" I could spare.

Chad Veich
          It was 1985 on Saturday.

Comment

It couldn't be that one then. Not 1985.

We only drove the Rabbit to the races in '81 and '82. I'll have to do more researching.
            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

The 1981 Air race was covered in the March, 1982 Air Classic Unlimited Racing At Reno. I had a chance to look at the mag again and the picture was taken by R. Burda. Thanks Shawn

Picture below is that Hispano that ground looped after the announcers explained that very few were still flying due to gear failure. Just under Mach

The Article was about Lefty inspecting his damaged wingtip and said
              "They sure are growing sagebrush tall out there"

I remember watching this race and seeing our Blue VW Van flying buy. I think it was on ABC's Wide World of Sport and . It was a good Rookie year.

(R. Burda) Took some great photos!

Comment

specking of the 1985 issure of Air classics with the groung looping of Georgia Mae during my senior year of High School my U S History teacher just happen to be John Putnam Sister in law i showed her the mag and she asked me if she could browed it for the weekend. that weekend John came to visit them and she showed him the magizine and he wroke me a note in the Magizine

Comment

Then it would be an '83 issue his car was seen. I think in later years some "RENO" issues came out before the year ended, so that led to some confusion on my part.

'81 was my first exposure to the races, but we arrived late Saturday and had to head back home Sunday afternoon before the Golds raced, so 1982 has to be the year his car was accidentally photographed on Monday morning.

I'll have to find out what Air Classics issue released in 1983 covered the races.
                  Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

This is off memory from reading about it a few times in the AC issue and In Tegler's book, the Hispano ground looped in 81.

Comment

I have a "Osprey" publication called" Reno 2" by Mike Jerram & it has color photos of "Georgia Mae" after it ground looped. It was Sat. 1985 Heat3B & "Lefty" in the P51 Thunderbird won the heat race.Great photos throughout & lots of memories.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                        This is off memory from reading about it a few times in the AC issue and In Tegler's book, the Hispano ground looped in 81.

I saw that, or at least the aftermath. It basically was my first Reno Air Race experience.

We arrived Saturday around the time the show had ended for the day, parked behind the stands (Back then, you could) and walked into the unmanned gate to the front of the General Admission bleachers. We saw a lot of spectators walking out to the runway, plus many already out there standing around the HA-109 sitting on it's belly.

I suspect Ridge Runner was the plane I'm thinking of, since it was the only unlimited to "crash land" during a race that year. In 1982 Dan Martin had to make an off-runway landing on a dirt road, and ended up in the weeds with collapsed gear and lots of "tweaks".
                        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-02-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I suspect Ridge Runner was the plane I'm thinking of, since it was the only unlimited to "crash land" during a race that year. In 1982 Dan Martin had to make an off-runway landing on a dirt road, and ended up in the weeds with collapsed gear and lots of "tweaks".
                          That is the ONE picture I wish I could have back. I snapped a photo of RR crossing the start/finish line on the first lap. A half-second after I pressed the button, I heard this "POW".

Once I got the film developed, here was this picture of RR about 100 feet beyond start-finish, a brown puff of smoke and a 50 foot smoke trail....but it was out of focus because I had had the shutter speed down a bit too low.

Not quite as dramatic as the shot Jim Larsen took of Whittington blowing up the engine in the same place...but man, it would have been a great shot if I had just bumped the speed up to about 1/450 or so.

*found it......
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Big_Jim; 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            That is the ONE picture I wish I could have back. I snapped a photo of RR crossing the start/finish line on the first lap. A half-second after I pressed the button, I heard this "POW"....
                            Ahh, so that's the picture you were talking about. Out of focus or not, it's still pretty neat!

Jarrod

Comment

Oh, and as an aside...how many remember when home pylon used to be BLACK and white, as opposed to blue and white?

Comment

Working...
                              X