moral dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moral dilemma

I need my moral compass swung. A friend of mine, who we shall call, "Andrea" and her husband were at Reno with me this year. A few weeks back, she and her husband went to the Paul Allen Museum.
    This is what she wrote me.....
    "this Paul Allen guy really knows how to put together an incredible collection. It was helped by an excellent docent who personally showed us all of the aircraft in the exhibits. The docent had one thing to say about Reno that we had not heard (maybe you know). Apparently three people are still missing from the crash, one of whom the docent knew personally, who just never returned. His friend was in the VIP section. He said they were "vaporized" (his words) and not counted in the 11."

I have no idea if anyone is indeed missing or not, let alone three people. I have not heard this. If it is not true, I think I should suggest that Andrea e-mail the museum and let them know one of their docents is telling this mistaken story. Has anyone else heard of people still unaccounted for? Even if the story is true and there are missing folk, I hardly think using the terminology he did is appropriate.

Re: moral dilemma

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    I need my moral compass swung. A friend of mine, who we shall call, "Andrea" and her husband were at Reno with me this year. A few weeks back, she and her husband went to the Paul Allen Museum.
    This is what she wrote me.....
    "this Paul Allen guy really knows how to put together an incredible collection. It was helped by an excellent docent who personally showed us all of the aircraft in the exhibits. The docent had one thing to say about Reno that we had not heard (maybe you know). Apparently three people are still missing from the crash, one of whom the docent knew personally, who just never returned. His friend was in the VIP section. He said they were "vaporized" (his words) and not counted in the 11."

I have no idea if anyone is indeed missing or not, let alone three people. I have not heard this. If it is not true, I think I should suggest that Andrea e-mail the museum and let them know one of their docents is telling this mistaken story. Has anyone else heard of people still unaccounted for? Even if the story is true and there are missing folk, I hardly think using the terminology he did is appropriate.
    He is not 'telling a mistaken story'. I know of at least one person on the list that they just simply could not find anything that they could positively identify. They were able to identify this person's spouse--who witnesses say had been sitting next to each other at the time of the impact.

As for the appropriateness of his term...well...what would you suggest? Considering that there was nothing they could use to positively identify them, they essentially were just as the docent described.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      He is not 'telling a mistaken story'. I know of at least one person on the list that they just simply could not find anything that they could positively identify. They were able to identify this person's spouse--who witnesses say had been sitting next to each other at the time of the impact.
      Just trying to clarify. Brad, you said at least one person "on the list." Does that mean they were missing and assumed dead, but counted in the 11 dead?

Or did we have 14 deaths total? The very idea makes me wince.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
        Does that mean they were missing and assumed dead, but counted in the 11 dead?
        Yes, that is the case.

Comment

OK, so there are still two issues....one, there are not, at least to our knowledge, 3 missing people not counted on the list of 11. And
          two, and I admit this is just a personal thing, I would not have used the word vaporized. There is no point for a docent using any graphic words at all as to what really happened when the crash occured. I certainly wouldnt want a docent at a space museum describing how in the first
          Shuttle disaster, the shuttle didnt expload but disintegrated except for the crew cabin, and the tapes recorded the crew members screaming all the way down to the water. Who wants their five year old daughter to hear that?

Comment

My wife, an RN soon to be PNP, ran to help. By that point, they gave her gloves and a bag and said "pick up anything human" regardless of its size.

Those biohazard bags are then collected and DNA tested. That is how they get positive I.D. of the persons remains.

I am pretty sure those results were available within days of the crash.

To suggest more people are "missing" and not counted is pretty stupid, and that person should be told exactly that.

On a side note, I'm about tired of people not involved, introducing their expert opinion.
            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
              On a side note, I'm about tired of people not involved, introducing their expert opinion.
              Hear Hear!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK, that is exactly what I wanted to hear....I will write my friend and tell her what I suggest she does. If she does not do it, I will. Thanks!
                Chris with good compass now

Comment

Working...
                X