GREAT stuff on the big V-12s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREAT stuff on the big V-12s...

Air & Space Smith. has an excellent multi-page article on the big 'VEE' aircraft motors, and more (click link):

Masters Of The V-12

Re: GREAT stuff on the big V-12s...

Great read.....thanks
    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

What about roush they do stuff for merlin v12 engines

Comment

Roush Aviation

Comment

I don't believe Roush Aviation qualifies under the title of "Masters" of the V-12. Specializing in automobile engines and road racing (and very good at it too), they've only been working on the big Merlins for a dozen years or so. I'm sure they hired some qualified people to do the work and they do it well, but still...

The experience of the skilled folks mentioned in the A&S article go back several decades, some to the 50's or earlier! They've pretty much learned all the secrets of the beast.

Comment

"In the ’60s, acres of Los Angeles were carpeted with Merlins and Allisons owned by a speculator who had bought them for pennies a pound. When land prices shot up the engines were sent to Japan, melted, and recycled."

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV12 View Post
              What about roush they do stuff for merlin v12 engines
              The article is now 10 years old! Several of the engine builders quoted in the article are sadly no longer with us.
              Last edited by Mike51; 11-26-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Yes, that's the sad aspect of it.

Still, for those who haven't read it yet, there's really good stuff there, including several little Merlin details I had no idea of. So good that I wish the article were the beginning of a 300 page book!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                  Yes, that's the sad aspect of it.

Still, for those who haven't read it yet, there's really good stuff there, including several little Merlin details I had no idea of. So good that I wish the article were the beginning of a 300 page book!

I started reading and began thinking, "This is all very familiar...." then I checked the date. I've got a copy of the printed article from way back but its nice to find it online. Too bad they didn't include the photos that go with the story.

Comment

Working...
                  X