Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a nasty rumour? Or is RARA really planning on pulling the plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a nasty rumour? Or is RARA really planning on pulling the plug?

I heard something while up at the Cruz home that has me bothered. I'm leaving it under the "Rumours" heading for obvious reasons.

I was told that RARA wants to hold the races for two more years, to get it to the 50th anniversary - and then they intend to stop the races permanently.

WTH?
    Last edited by sandramore; 11-21-2011, 09:47 AM.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Re: Just a nasty rumour? Or is RARA really planning on pulling the plug?

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
    I heard something while up at the Cruz home that has me bothered. I'm leaving it under the "Rumours" heading for obvious reasons.

I was told that RARA wants to hold the races for two more years, to get it to the 50th anniversary - and then they intend to stop the races permanently.

WTH?
    That has been a rumor for the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      That has been a rumor for the past couple of years.
      Hmm, I wonder if that's an indication there's truth to it...

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post

WTH?
        That's a terrible idea

Comment

Don't think so.

It's going to take such a huge effort to actually have races after the accident that if RARA....somehow produces a race in 2012 and 2013, they will not just give it up. I don't think anyone can imagine the hoops RARA will have to jump through, just to host anymore races. Really think they would do all that work then just quit?

'71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
            Don't think so.

Really think they would do all that work then just quit?

To be honest, I don't have any trouble envisioning that at all.

Comment

Risk/reward folks. When the risks outweigh the financial rewards, they'll stop. Until then...
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I think if there are races next year that rumor would be untrue. If they were planning on canceling I believe they would just call it quits now.
                My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

I just hope this isnt a game of political chicken Between RARA and Reno.
                  If the economic impact is really 50 to 70 million, then the good folks of the city of Reno do need to put up some bucks to make this happen. How many bucks they do now put up I have no idea....

I was privy to a lecture of who came up with what bucks for
                  Spokane to win the 2010 US Figure Skating Championships, a 26 million dollar event. The State of WA pledged $100,000 knowing that at over 6 percent sales tax, they would make out like a bandit if Spokane got the bid. Well, Spokane got the bid and set an attendance record, and the State of WA pulled its pledge after the fact and kept all that tax revenue. The promoters told me, "Never again".

Chris the mushroom

Comment

I heard a rumor they want to go to a 100th Air Race before stopping...but that's only a rumor.......

Comment

Ahhh- 'rumors of old rumors'... (I remember that dialogue & forum). Obviously, f/the majority of us true blue air racing fans, the immediate real concern at hand has been regarding- 'the plug' -f/next year's Reno 2012.

Some of you subscribe to RARA's 'E-News' email updates (all you have to do is sign up via their airrace.org website).

FYI- I just received their November 2011 issue today as a matter of fact. It again outlines ticket refund procedures f/Sat.-Sun. ticket holders, and Reno 2011 items still avail. for sale via their online store. But also includes some text copy of significant note which is definately worth sharing here on the msg board that's relevant f/some response to this thread theme:

Reno Air Races E-News – November 2011 edition

“Thank You RACE FANS!”

“While there are some ticket holders who have requested refunds for their 2011 tickets, we are amazed and humbled by the overwhelming number of fans who have requested to leave their money with the Reno Air Racing Association,” said Mike Houghton, president and CEO of RARA. “We remain committed to preserving this unique aviation event and any funds left with this organization will go directly towards saving the future of the event.”

“We’ve always said this event would not be possible without our fans and that has never been truer than right now,” said Houghton. “As we keep the victims of this recent tragedy in our thoughts and prayers, the outpouring of encouragement we’ve received from many of those affected by this accident, from this community and from people all over the globe has inspired and motivated us to do whatever we can to bring the National Championship Air Races back to northern Nevada as soon as possible.”

Future Air Race Dates

Sept. 12-16, 2012
                      Sept. 11-15, 2013
                      Sept. 10-14, 2014

Now, I don't know about you folks & can only speak f/myself. I totally-love air racing motorsports & have been involved w/it f/almost 40 years now,-on various levels starting out as just a fan in the seats. I know just fm volunteering, that putting on a major premiere world aviation event such as the Reno NCAR for almost 50 years has been a monumental undertaking for RARA, and they've earned & well-deserve the support of the participants & the fans in my book- especially right now.

True, there've been some rough spots w/RARA over the years, but that's to be expected, especially w/an event that's seen alot of people & changes during its' growth over the decades. I certainly don't envy them right now w/all the formidable challenges they face fm the aftermath of last September's huge tragic accident, but they are the ones in the trenches who have to deal w/all their non-profit group's legal & financial realities & hurdles of the present and future.

IF, they're willing to hang in there for the sake of future Reno NCAR events & the Reno community economics to keep the tradition alive-even if for only one more running- then my hat's off to them & bless 'em all. Same goes for all the air racing team participants, especially the Unlimiteds (-who've invested enormously to field their big fast machines).

So for now, I'm just gonna try to think positive & keep my hopes up for the best,- that maybe we might be able go racing again next September- just one more time! What d'ya say?

Respectfully- Don 'Bucky' Dawson

Comment

I am thinking positive shawn

Comment

Here is an old article from 2003 that I am sure you have all seen about RARA funding...

I had never seen it for some reason but found it interesting and how RARA survived 911.

So my question to you is, what would YOU be willing to do to save RARA?
                          Would you be willing, for instance, to give 2 percent of your annual income as a one time deal? I know RARA is a non-profit but I dont know if gifts are deductible. My guess is that since this was a 3 million dollar event, and of course that has changed with inflation, 1,000 die hard fans giving 500 to 1,000 bucks each could make a real difference....

I know I am a die hard fan and would have no problem at all giving $1,000 but I am retired and dont have kids....for others, it could be very hard.
                          Still, if you are looking at a pile of money that says, "Reno 2012 is an iron clad go", would you put that pile in your pocket or send it to RARA?
                          There is no good or bad answer here....just a hypothetical question.
                          Would you pledge $1,000 to be delivered to the "Friends of Reno" at the end of the first day of racing 2012, maybe get a ride in a T-6 or better, certainly get access to the racers ,have your pic taken in Strega or the plane of your choice, attend a free breakfast with top name guest speakers....for a $1,000 donation?

Comment

Enough of the rumors.

Rumors are just that, and should not be passed on as to do so gives weight to the rumor that in most cases is not justified.

These are tough times for all involved with and love Unlimited Air Racing. Now is not the time to speculate and rumor, especially in this and other on-line forums, as to do so gives ammunition to those who would end the NCAR.

Have you noticed the large number of visitors to the forum since the 2011 NCAR? The numbers were much higher than this person has ever scene. Who are/were these visitors? Some were curious, and some, well I'll let you think about what they were after.

Instead of punching the keyboard with the latest thing one hears, just stop and ask yourself, who is served if I post this, who may be hurt if I post this, what is the source and is it a reliable source.

Respectfully,
                            Willie

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
                              Instead of punching the keyboard with the latest thing one hears, just stop and ask yourself, who is served if I post this, who may be hurt if I post this, what is the source and is it a reliable source.

Respectfully,
                              Willie
                              Hence my making sure I stated it was firmly under the "Rumours" category. I wasn't trying to pass it on, nor was I asking that anyone speculate. I simply thought if anyone would know if there was any truth to it whatsoever, it would be folks from AAFO.

Comment

Working...
                              X