P51 Ferocious Frankie and MH434 at Duxford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P51 Ferocious Frankie and MH434 at Duxford

One of my goals in life is to go to the Duxford Air show.

Pair display by the Old Flying Machine Company's P-51D Mustang 'Ferocious Frankie' and Spitfire MkIX MH434 during the Duxford Autumn Show in 2009.Make sure t...

Last edited by Desertdawg; 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM.

Re: P51 Ferocious Frankie and MH434 at Duxford

Me too!

Cool video by the way. . .

I hope to get there in the next two years.

Don

Comment

do it. we went in 97 what a great show. got to see the last flight of black 6.
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

desertdawg i can tell you it's worth every cent to go the a duxford airshow.
        i was at legends this year and even with the loss of "big beautiful doll" it was an incredible airshow,with the bonus of 3 great museums on site and the tfc restoration hangar.

Comment

Thanks for the great pictures. That was sad about "Big Beautiful Doll", a P51 with some war heritage, the good part was the pilot lived to fly again.

Is that old "White Lightning" flying?

Our friends the Brits have a great fondness for aviation history and there is a good airshow circuit. I love the grass airfields.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            Thanks for the great pictures. That was sad about "Big Beautiful Doll", a P51 with some war heritage, the good part was the pilot lived to fly again.
            It's an Australian-built CAC Mustang, with no war history. And I'm sure that it will fly again (at least, the dataplate will!). It does however have a good movie history, including 'Empire of the Sun' and 'Memphis Belle'

And yes, the P-38 is the former 'White Lightnin', now with Red Bull in Austria

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
              It's an Australian-built CAC Mustang, with no war history. And I'm sure that it will fly again (at least, the dataplate will!). It does however have a good movie history, including 'Empire of the Sun' and 'Memphis Belle'

And yes, the P-38 is the former 'White Lightnin', now with Red Bull in Austria
              Mike,

Ok, so there were 2 P51s called Big Beautiful Dolls. The one I was thinking of was 272258 and that one was based out of Duxford during the war as per "Great Planes of WWII" and scored 14.5 victories and is hanging is on display in a museum. The one that crashed at the Duxford airshow was 472218. Really close numbers. I'll have to read up a little on the history of both numbers.

Hans

Comment

The other Big Beautiful Doll in the UK is hanging in the Imperial War Museum in London and is an ex RCAF (RCAF 9246, 44-73979) aircraft presented to the IWM in the early 70s, neither this aircraft and the much missed G-HAEC (D-FBBD) are the real Big Beautiful Doll.
                Last edited by Chris_UK; 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_UK View Post
                  The other Big Beautiful Doll in the UK is hanging in the Imperial War Museum in London and is an ex RCAF (RCAF 9246, 44-73979) aircraft presented to the IWM in the early 70s, neither this aircraft and the much missed G-HAEC (D-FBBD) are the real Big Beautiful Doll.
                  Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I never had the intend of this post becoming a learning experience, but now I am really curious.

You give a different serial number for the one thats hanging in the IWM. So who is the original Big Beautiful Doll, what happened to her??

I just Googled "Who Is The Original Big Beautiful Doll" and got this:

Thats showing a Australian built (1951) serial #A68-192?

So now I am somewhat confused

By-the-way are you a Hanger Talk member from the UK?

Comment

Wasn't there another "Big Beautiful Doll" that crashed at Camarillo,Ca on first solo flight?
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Yes, I am in the UK.... and have the good fortune to mess around with a few old aircraft over here....

The original Big Beautiful Doll is no longer around, a number of aircraft have worn the paint scheme over the years including 44-63634 in America, the IWM aircraft and the one which had the accident at Duxford this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                        Wasn't there another "Big Beautiful Doll" that crashed at Camarillo,Ca on first solo flight?
                        No

That was a 'Lou IV'

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          I think you're suffering to "Lou IV" that John McKittrick crashed during his P-51 solo in 07 when he torque-rolled on a second approach.

Very sad story, he did not survive and I believe the plane is still in resto.

Comment

Originally posted by DOC.129 View Post
                            I think you're suffering to "Lou IV" that John McKittrick crashed during his P-51 solo in 07 when he torque-rolled on a second approach.

Very sad story, he did not survive and I believe the plane is still in resto.
                            * referring

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                              One of my goals in life is to go to the Duxford Air show.

Pair display by the Old Flying Machine Company's P-51D Mustang 'Ferocious Frankie' and Spitfire MkIX MH434 during the Duxford Autumn Show in 2009.Make sure t...

Beautiful, very beautiful video. One plane better than the other.
                              Thanks for possting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X