Dr. Filippini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Filippini

I don't know how many of you know Dr. Filippini. He is the air race flight surgeon. I understand that he is extremely ill, leukemia, and he has stopped treatment.

He's on hospice now. Please pray for him and his family and friends.
    Last edited by sandramore; 11-16-2011, 07:35 PM.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Re: Dr. Filippini

Oh no. OMG...he's a stallwart member of the Board! My prayers go out to him and his family! As a cancer survior myself, I know what his family's going through. Thank God for hospice...they are truly the best!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjets View Post
      Oh no. OMG...he's a stallwart member of the Board! My prayers go out to him and his family! As a cancer survior myself, I know what his family's going through. Thank God for hospice...they are truly the best!!!
      The thought of losing him too just breaks my heart. Is this year never going to end?

Comment

I have been going to him for over 12 years. A very nice man! Some times things just do not seem fair. " He had that sly smile also, Hugs "
        Last edited by AiRick; 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I just got the news. Dr. Filippini passed away this morning. His family and friends could use your prayers and healing thoughts.

RIP Charlie, we'll miss you.

At least now our heavenly racers have a flight surgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
            ....At least now our heavenly racers have a flight surgeon.
            Well said, Sandra!

I truly hope and pray for Dr. Fillipini's family, especially at this time of the year, and that they receive peace in their hearts that he is in a far better place.

Comment

I don't have all the details yet, but as soon as the funeral home knows, so will I.

Charlie's memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, December 10th, tenatively starting at 1:00pm, at the Stead airport. I should have complete details by later today and I'll post them.

Comment

Charlie's memorial service will be held @ 11:00am on December 10th, in RARA's hangar out at Stead.

Comment

Charlie's obit from the RGJ:

Charles Filippini (1935 - 2011)

January 3, 1935

November 29, 2011

Charles Filippini M.D., 76, a long-time local Reno resident , who was affectionately known as "Charlie" or just "Doc" to so many of his close friends and patients, passed away in his home on November 29, 2011, surrounded by his loving family. Charles was born on January 3, 1935 in San Bernardino, CA to Carlos Santos Filippini and Luz Cereceres Filippini. He attended San Bernardino High School where he excelled in music and tennis. As a young adult, he was recognized and celebrated as an accomplished and talented concert pianist.

After receiving a B.A. at the University of California Riverside, he attended the University of California Berkeley and the University of California San Francisco School of Medicine where he earned his M.D. His Medical career began in the Emergency Room at San Francisco General Hospital where he eventually met his wife Norma Jean Spaeth, RN and Head Nurse.

Charles began his military career in the Air Force as an aero-medical flight surgeon, stationed at Beale Air Force Base in California and later at Stead Air Force Base in Nevada where he was actively involved with the Survival School Training Program. He later joined the Reno Air National Guard where he flew as a rated flight surgeon and navigator in the RF-101 "Voodoo" and RF-4 "Phantom II", and ultimately became the State Flight Surgeon for the State of Nevada. He eventually retired as a "full-bird" Colonel. Because of his expertise in Aviation Medicine and Aviation Photography, he was also invited to fly with other military flying units in the U.S. and Canada including: The U.S. Navy Top-Gun School, The U.S. Army and the Canadian Snowbirds.

He started his General Medical Practice in Winnemucca, NV and later moved to Reno, NV where he practiced Medicine for 43 years. His practice evolved into other specialties including: sports medicine, pain management, and aviation medicine. As a Medical Doctor for the World Boxing Association, he oversaw many Professional Championship Fights in the State of Nevada as a ringside doctor. One of the biggest honors in his life was the opportunity to serve his patients and to work daily with his life-long staff and close friends: Pam Fisher and Elsie Dewey.

Since the 1980's, Charles also served on the Board of Directors of the Reno Air Racing Association which hosts the National Championship Air Races and was the Medical Director/Physician of Record for the Air Races. He had the opportunity to work closely with the FAA where he performed Class 1, 2, and 3 Flight Physicals for Commercial and Private Pilots.

As a revered photographer, he thrived in the disciplines of nature, aerial and large-format photography and was published in many magazines and books.

An avid sports and recreational enthusiast, he was happiest in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, California Dessert, and Caribbean Sea where he enjoyed biking, hiking, camping, snow-caving, kayaking, scuba-diving, swimming, and snorkeling. An only child, he enjoyed being alone with nature as well as being accompanied by loving family and friends. Charles was preceded in death by his mother, father, and his eternal love and wife, Norma Jean Filippini. He is survived by his children: Alicia Maria Filippini (Peter Gissing), Brian Carlos Filippini (Leigh Filippini) and grandchildren: Remi, Carlo, Sante, Cooper, Izabella, Madison, Jordan, and McKenzie.

Memorial Services and a celebration of life, for Dr. Charles Filippini will be held on Saturday, December 10, 2011, at 11:00 AM, at the Reno Air Race Association, Headquarters Hangar, located at 14501 Mt. Anderson Street. The hangar is situated at the far west end of the ramp at the Reno-Stead Airport Facility . Parking will be available immediately in front of the hangar and a reception will immediately follow the service. O'Brien-Rogers & Crosby Funeral Home will handle arrangements (775)323-6191. A future charity in the name of Charles Filippini will be established to help find a cure for the treatment of Myelofibrosis and Acute Myeloid Leukemia.

You are invited to share a condolence message in the Book of Memories at the website www.waltonsfuneralhomes.com.

Comment

Working...
                  X