1989 Air Racing Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Air Racing Trivia

Name the two airports that held Unlimited Air Races in 1989.

HINT #1: Stead Airport (Reno Air Races)
    HINT #2: It was held on February 25-26, 1989

Re: 1989 Air Racing Trivia

Was that the year they held the races at Hamilton field?

Comment

I'm thinking ... Wendover???

Comment

Clue...the second event in question was put on by ex-San Francisco 49'er Russ Francis. And in then end it was more of a 'paid exhibition' than an actual race.

But Wingman has some bitchin pictures of my all-time favorite racer there in 'new clothes'.

Comment

Bolder City, NV. The course wasn't ideal with high voltage transmission lines from the nearby Hoover Dam to contend with. Another unique feature of this venue was that rather than the relatively flat terrain most race courses traverse this one ran downhill from the airport/front straightaway. This was great for viewing the races, but new experience of having to fly downhill and then uphill while trying to locate the pylons on an unfamiliar course I'm sure did not endear this course to the racers.

Comment

Wayne Newton was a primary sponsor of this event and it benefitted the local Angel Plane foundation--which I believe was a mercy flight for families of terminally ill patients.

Not many planes showed up for this 'race'...again I think only seven or eight aircraft. The main contenders were David Price in Dago Red, Rick Brickert in Dreadnought, and Gary Levitz in the old Levitz/Whittington "Precious Metal", which was fresh from 'storage' in Gary's hangar in Salt Lake City and sans-markings except for a red and white 38 on the fuselage.

Unfortunately, Levitz had a disagreement with Russ Francis over some details about the event, so he packed up his stuff and left on Saturday morning.

In the end it turned out to be more of an exhibition race than an actual competition.

Comment

Working...
            X