Red Bull Cancels 2012 Air Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull Cancels 2012 Air Races

In yesterdays RGJ, Red Bull has cancelled the 2012 Air Races (Air Shows IMO)

Re: Red Bull Cancels 2012 Air Races

That's been known since last year. There is about a zero percent chance of it ever coming back.

Comment

Thanks for enlightening me. I never watched it so it was kind of news to me.

There are some things in the article where one of the lawyers will probably use this as additional evidence against the Reno Air Races?

"Anthony Buzbee, a Houston lawyer who sued the Reno air races for a Texas physician who lost her husband in the September crash, said the Reno Air Racing Association knew Red Bull air race officials had safety concerns and cancelled, but did not inform ticket-buyers about possible dangers during the event."

Last edited by Desertdawg; 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Evidence?

That's not evidence, it's media fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Evidence?

That's not evidence, it's media fodder.
          I was going back through articles from September, trying to make sure I had all the victims' names for my website. Interestingly, Mr. Buzbee was already representing Mrs. Salerno and talking to the press within the first couple of days.

I remember thinking at the time that it was sort of odd.
          sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
          http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

That story is unbelievable.

RARA new there were previous deaths in previous years? Is that not stating the obvious??? Every fan in attendance knew that as well.

the danger is what makes it so exciting to the fans. Humans crave excitement. not that we want to see another human hurt or killed, but we crave danger, it is in all of our blood to one degree or another.

sheesh.

Im suing my mom for bringing me into a dangerous world!!! damn her!! she knew it was dangerous and yet she still had me!! What was she thinking??

Anyone know a good lawyer to sue my mom?

Comment

The two events are unrelated. The author even quotes an official saying there is no correlation between the two events.

The Red Bull Series had several incidents in which there were safety concerns leading the organizers to cancel the 2012 races while they evaluated things. Most of their events were flown over water (the Thames River, the Bosporus, San Diego) or over unoccupied areas (Monument Valley comes to mind).

Low flying or exceeding G limits instantly ends a run. Low flying over the water while maneuvering became an issue with one aircraft even touching down in the water (Ontario), but recovering to land normally.

If you ever get the opportunity to watch one of the Red Bull Races on video you will see that the event is nothing at all like Reno. Take a look at the official Red Bull website. They have some videos there and information about what they call "a one year break".

The article you reference tries to tie the two events together and, predictably, fails to do so. It either was written by someone who understood little about the events or simply wanted to write an opinion piece even where the facts do not support the premise. The attorney representing the Texas family attempts to tie safety concerns of the Red Bull event to Reno which is like trying to tie driving in a third world country to driving in Idaho.

All that aside, the "news" about the Red Bull series is old.

Comment

No it is certainly not the same thing, apples and oranges, and of course this Liawyer is stretching it.....that is what they do.

In some ways that kind of flying is harder and more dangerous, and in other ways it is not. Either way it is not true air racing, and should not be compared to pylon racing.

Im not certain RBAR is gone for good.......it may...or may not.

I for one enjoyed watching it......and hope they do decide to continue.

I dont know this for sure, but the rumour is that they shut down do to lack of sponsorship...not safety concerns.

Comment

I know, you know and he (the lawyer) DAMN well knows the RB races are not the same.

However, he also knows that if he brings that point up in court, then the defense have to argue and prove it down, silly statement or not.

That takes time, and the longer the case runs, the more money the lawyer makes. Bring in as many points of evidence and witnesses for the other side to counter, and he/she could extend the case for weeks or even months longer and in the process make a small fortune in hourly wages (something like $600 an hour is it not?). They can simply blame it on having (by law) to make sure his client gets the best defense (or offense) possible.

THAT's why lawyers will spout crap like that....the more bull they can sling, the more they can earn.

It's a screwed system. Every lawyer should be paid a fixed fee based on the type of case plus a few other considerations, and have to follow minimum requirements to assure a fair trial for his client(s). If the trial will take longer to complete, then they shouldn't get paid more, to prevent them from extending it intentionally for financial gain and bogging down the already-crowded-with-cases legal system.

Let's take the power stolen by the lawyers and put it back in the hands of the people! Everybody grabs tents, sleeping bags and supplies and we'll make camp in front of the courthouse and protest....

...Well, maybe not.....Looks like it's pretty crowded there with tent cities and protesters already. Maybe next year...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

No, actually that is not right Airdogg.

Most liawyers bill around 300 to 400$ an hour.....which is nothing compared to your 600$...lol.

But seriously on those kind of injury/product liability type case, the liawyer take them on a contingency basis, and do not get paid hourly at all. As a matter of fact they don't get paid a dime if they do not win the case. Typically the clients sign a retainer and the lawyers get 20-40% of the settlement plus some minor legal fees.

I don't think liawyers drag cases out intentionally, except to the point where they are reasonably sure they will win so they can get paid.

Of course there are always exceptions to the above, but generally that is how it is done.

Comment

Working...
                    X