It still hurts but its changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It still hurts but its changing

Tonight I was cleaning up some stuff on my computer and ended up watching some video of the crash. Of course I'm up at 4:30 in the morning because even though I say I'm over it I still don't sleep.

As I watched the video I realize I physically recoil at the impact. But I can no longer seem to feel like I was there. It is becoming "abstract" for lack of a better word.

Jimmy has become to be like Gary in MA II, Rick in the Pond, Gary in his F1, the AT-6 mid air (I never wanted to know their names because I needed to keep it "abstract") and all the other crashes I've witnessed. I saw so many up close but over time they are more a video than an experience.

Healing, processing, forgetting, moving on..... I don't know.

I still feel this hole in my heart but tonight I realized its been there for a while and it is because so many aviators that mattered to me aren't in my life any more. Some because of accidents, some just passed away. In the end how they leave isn't so important. I just miss them all.

I realize I'm moving forward but its painful progress. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. When I talk to friends that never got my love of flying I realized I could never be as connected to them as I am with my friends that share my love of flight.

We that love air racing are the last of the true aviation romantics. We still see heroes rounding those pylons. We understand how 2 MPH in F1 or biplane that sets that new record is ultimately more important than 20 more seats in some random Boeing cattleplane.

We see the clear line from Wright to Curtis to Lindberg to Turner to Johnson to Sharp/Hinton/Shelton..et al. Reno gives us our heroes.

So tonight, Jimmy, I have to let you go. You are always someone I will consider an aviation legend. But I have to make room for the new heroes I hope to see in the air races of the future.

Sorry for the ramble, like I said a sleepless night but this forum seemed like the community most likely to understand what I wanted to share.

Spacegrrrl

Re: It still hurts but its changing

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
    So tonight, Jimmy, I have to let you go.
    That's the hardest part, isn't it. Thanks for posting that. It helps more than you know.
    Last edited by mrcraigarcher; 11-03-2011, 06:03 AM. Reason: Reformat

Comment

Dear Spacegirl; I share your grief. I raced at reno, am a man of faith, a Viet V, and when I was in the cockpit, chalks out, salute to my crewchief done, and taxing out, I said only one prayer. "Please Dear Lord, if I go... please let me go alone.

God bless & God Speed to those hurt and lost.

Comment

Well said Spacegirl.

Good luck and sweet dreams.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystical Power View Post
          Dear Spacegirl; I share your grief. I raced at reno, am a man of faith, a Viet V, and when I was in the cockpit, chalks out, salute to my crewchief done, and taxing out, I said only one prayer. "Please Dear Lord, if I go... please let me go alone.

I used to have a quiet talk with the airplane just before they taxied out - "Be a good girl, do your best, but make sure you bring him back in one piece."
          sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
          http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
            That's the hardest part, isn't it. Thanks for posting that. It helps more than you know.
            Yep. That's why we fight it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystical Power View Post

Powerful.

Thank you and all race pilots for sharing your passion for flight with all of us folks on the ground.

Comment

Working...
              X