Pancho Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pancho Barnes

Nice story on the History Channel I finally got to see. A colorful lady aviator from the Roaring 20's.
    Last edited by mgbf4u; 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM.

Re: Pancho Barnes

I am a huge fan of Pancho! Although for a lot of reasons folks never seem to realize. In about every way she was a much better aviator than Amelia but she was not quite so easy on the eye. So she never got the same attention. But she just pressed on and did everything she could to keep aviation her life focus, even if it wasn't always in the cockpit.

I'd take one Pancho to a hundred Amelias any day of the week! You know she had be a lot more fun to hang out with!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

She was quite a gal. Loved reading all the exploits of Yeager,Hoover and the rest of the crew at her Riding Club @ Muroc. She really accomplished a lot during the 20's and 30's. And, you're right...she didn't get the noteriety of Amelia. It takes a true aviation buff to know who she is.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
        She was quite a gal. Loved reading all the exploits of Yeager,Hoover and the rest of the crew at her Riding Club @ Muroc. She really accomplished a lot during the 20's and 30's. And, you're right...she didn't get the noteriety of Amelia. It takes a true aviation buff to know who she is.
        The best book I ever read was Chuck Yeager's. The adventures about hanging out at Ponchos were hilarious. I still have that old paper back and it may be time for another reading this winter.

Comment

Go to:

It was the Roaring 20’s, the early days of aviation, and most folks in America didn’t know that women were up in the air flying. Pancho Barnes took the aviation industry by storm, or sh…

Comment

Chuck Yeager observed that Amelia Earhart came along when aviatrices were a novelty and she had the money to fly her own ac and promote herself. "Being an airplane driver, I wasn't impressed", said Chuck, or words to that effect.

General Yeager was a close friend of Pancho's. Go figure.

$
            "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
            Martin Caidin

Comment

Working...
            X