Help needed for Reno accident Survivors Larry and Tracy Cruz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for Reno accident Survivors Larry and Tracy Cruz

Help me and the Family Assistance Fund help Larry and Tracy. Larry will be going home from the hospital on Nov. 13th.

We're also helping another woman, who lost her husband at Stead. She has 10 acres and needs help with work on the property.

Very quickly, here's what we know we need:
    • Materials to complete enlargement and refitting of the bathroom to make it accessible for Larry.
    • The bathroom work means removing the current wall between the master bedroom and bathroom, so materials will be needed to repair the master bedroom.
    • Materials for wheelchair ramp.
    • A couple of people with construction skills.
    • A couple of people to help split rounds of wood for the winter.
    • Someone with tractor driving skills to help with the 10 acre property.
    • A couple more folks to help with labor as Larry's property and the other property need "winterizing." Not sure what that entails yet.

A call is in to Home Depot's corporate office to see if they will approve the donation of materials.

If you can help with getting materials donated, that will help greatly.

Tracy's brother, who is a contractor, is taking time off from his job without pay. We need donations to cover whatever material we can't get donated, and to help replace some of Tracy's brother's lost wages.

I also need someone in Washington to help me coordinate this so Tracy doesn't get inundated with calls.

If you can help out in any way, please let me know.

Thanks, everyone.
    Sandra
    Last edited by sandramore; 11-01-2011, 01:05 AM.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Re: Help for Larry and Tracy Cruz

Sandra,
    I posted your link and info over on WIX, a board with world wide warbird followers. Hopefully there will be some there that can help you as well.

Good luck,
    Rich

Comment

Does Tracy's friend with the 10 acres also live near Graham, Washington??

Comment

Pete Jackson, a member of the Cascade Warbirds, will put it on the agenda at our Board of Director's Retreat on Sat. Nov.5th in Arlington, WA. Many of our pilot members have used his services or know him. Our regulars in our Reno Air Races box also know him.
        Betty
        Last edited by ShermB; 11-01-2011, 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
          Pete Jackson, a member of the Cascade Warbirds, will put it on the agenda at our Board of Director's Retreat on Sat. Nov.5th in Arlington, WA. Many of our pilot members have used his services or know him. Our regulars in our Reno Air Races box also know him.
          Betty
          Aww Betty, I knew you'd show up in this! I figured I can drive a tractor but my distance from there and my travel budget is going to keep me from being able to make it. I'd bet there's some Cascade Warbirders who can do same and would have a lot of fun doing it!

What a great community!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sandra, I am not able to provide any of the needed material help right now, but as an amputee (below knee, right leg) I would be happy to provide any advice/answer questions Larry and his wife may have about life as an amputee, including general health, health insurance, prosthetics and adaptive equipment, mental health, etc.

He looks like he has the right attitude which is huge in terms of recovery and adjustment, but I know it can be struggle sometimes - PM me if interested and I will provide private e-mail and phone.

John

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Don, yes, she lives about 6 miles down the road from Larry and Tracy.

John, I'll send you a PM.

And I agree, Wayne, what a great community.

One last thing. If you want to donate and have it go specifically to Larry and Tracy, when you donate online you can specify that. Here's that link again:

Last edited by sandramore; 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Re: Help needed for Reno accident Survivors Larry and Tracy Cruz

I keep going back to the picture of Larry in his hospital bed...

That man's spirit is inspirational and I wish there was some way we could share it with the nation as a whole.

His passion for the sport, his country, his work, his family, his life, goes beyond the everyday impression of "who is America" today when viewed by the rest of the world.

That photo of a broken but not beaten man just says so friggn much.

Time to write some letters folks...

I absolutely HATE morning "big three" daily shows... "Today".. bla bla whatever the rest of them have but..

Larry and his wife, his neighbor and a few (many) others need to get noticed by "where in the world is Matt... whatever his name is"..

BN was watching TODAY this AM and I went into her TV room at her place and sat with her for a while..

I was hoping to find out what was happening in the real world.. What's the latest from Afghanistan, Iraq.. wherever else...

Damn... was it Justin Beeber's new hairdoo?? or was it... what to hell was it they were babbling (all at once) about....???

But..

They have the audience, if someone like Larry, his wife, neighbor and others passionate to see the sport continue were to be able to share their super human devotion, it would have to open a few eyes! (lots, hopefully)

Anyone know an email address or three to submit suggestions for shows?

Maybe a "Holmes Inspection" or a special show "Holmes Intervention" or something?

I'll open my radar.. anyone else have ideas??

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I agree, Wayne, Larry's amazing. And after talking to Tracy, I know he married the right woman. She's as upbeat and determined as he is.

Okay, this is where I start stamping my foot.

<beginning of frustrated rant> I know somebody must live in Washington State besides Betty. I'm not asking for your entire life or your first born child. I'm asking for a day or two of your time and muscle. That's it, that's all.

Make a few phone calls for me. Ask your friends, explain what we need. I'd bet more than a few of you talented folks spend time at Lowe's or Home Depot. Call them up, tell what we need, see if they're willing to donate some materials.

I don't want Tracy worrying about this getting done before Larry comes home in the 10-14 days. I don't want lack of material or help to be an obstacle to finishing the work.

Remember, they don't currently have an income, with Larry unable to be in the shop. Tracy's brother can't absorb all the costs. If all you can manage is to donate $2.00-$3.00 and specify that it goes to the Larry and Tracy, between all of us, we can make this happen.

I refuse to go back to Tracy and tell her we failed. Don't sit there and assume that someone else will pitch in. It's not happening.

</end of frustrated rant>
                  Last edited by sandramore; 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Sandrmore,

Sent you a PM.

Comment

As always, Don, thank you.

Comment

I wanted to say "thank you" to Chris Henry and the guys at Warbird Radio, for having me on and helping to spread the word about the Air Race Family Assistance Fund and our current needs in Washington.

Warbird Radio

Comment

If there is a work crew I can be part of (I live in Seattle) or a fund I can donate to I am in.

Let me know,

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Thanks, Spacegrrrl.

I just talked to Tracy. At the moment, she's sort of on hold because she's waiting to hear from Home Depot's Corporate Office about what they are willing to donate. Without the materials, everything stops, and Tracy doesn't want to use her and Larry's funds to purchase what might be donated.

She's thinking of having everyone come help, not this coming weekend, but next weekend. She and I will try to firm that up this weekend. She's asked for a couple of days to try to figure out where she's at with everything. I'm amazed at how upbeat she is.

I'm thinking that maybe the way to do this is sort of like a gift registry. She's sending me the list of materials. If I post those, perhaps people can volunteer to purchase/donate those particular items/materials? If you think that's workable, I'll post the list.

Then hopefully Home Depot will fill in the gaps. Apparently just the shower attachment thingy (yes, a technical term) is an $800 item.

Today is the Committee meeting, so I need to arrange to get the donations already made up to her so they can start buying materials without dipping into her savings..

If you want to make a donation specifically for Larry, go to thinkkindness.org and when you make the donation through PayPal, you can leave additional instructions as to where that money goes.

I'll keep posting updates as I have them.

Comment

There is one thing about that picture of Larry (besides the fact that he is obviously a driven man) that made me smile....and that is the cell phone that is velcroed to his hand! If that ain't a recipe for success, then nothing is.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X