Sad to see E-Bay Gardner Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad to see E-Bay Gardner Trophy

I feel like buying it and give it back to the family http://www.ebay.com/itm/130591756429...9#ht_631wt_156

Re: Sad to see E-Bay Gardner Trophy

I agree, that's where it belongs. I hope it at least goes to someone who understands its value.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

You know, the family may appreciate it very much if they get it back.

In 2007 Someone on WIX saw on ebay a plaque of my uncle's for his service to the CAF on the PBY trip to Australia in 1981. This person bought it and gave it to my family (we sent him a check). It was one of the most amazing things ever. Sadly my uncle died 1500 miles from us so short of spending thousands to get a truck and haul everything down here, his stuff pretty much was open season for anybody to grab and sell off.

Comment

John H, was your uncle's name Ron Himelburg (SP?) by chance?

Thanks Bruce

Comment

Kind of strange the price is so high.
          It was listed about 3 weeks ago and got no bids.

Comment

Originally posted by FENCELINER View Post
            Kind of strange the price is so high.
            It was listed about 3 weeks ago and got no bids.
            I got a message from the seller that the first auction was up to $200 then he took it down because (I had to take it off at the request of the Gardner family.) So I feel better at least the family knew it was for sale. Now its back up for sale so something may have been resolved. At least they can bid on it, maybe thats why its so high now.

Comment

Maybe I'm just dense, but if something like that came into my possession, I'd immediately give it back to the family.

Comment

I would also. I have a 4th place finish trophy from the Cleveland Air Race in 1949 that my father won. Its one of my prized possessions.

Comment

My guess, however, given that Lefty had over 25 years worth of trophies, maybe a 3rd place Bronze trophy from 1982 wasn't terribly important or impressive for the family. I mean, remember....he was the 1976 National Champion.

If I wanted to preserve trophies, that would be the ONLY one that would matter to me.

Comment

If it won't ruffle too many feathers, can someone post a bit of history regarding these possessions? How did someone get hold of one of Lefty's trophies in order to sell it? It sounds like some of his possessions changed hands in possibly less than honest means. I'm just curious.

Craig

Comment

I am the current high bidder. Back to the family, or on public display would be my choice.
                      pylon judge, race fan

Comment

Originally posted by frankg View Post
                        I am the current high bidder. Back to the family, or on public display would be my choice.
                        You're a good man, Frank.

Brad, I think the family should at least be given the option, you know?

Comment

Way to go Frank! If not the family maybe the CAF... Good luck Frank at least now I know not to bid over you!

Comment

Originally posted by AiRick View Post
                            Way to go Frank! If not the family maybe the CAF... Good luck Frank at least now I know not to bid over you!
                            For whatever its worth, I can promise you that the CAF would not have any interest at all in it, especially with the direction that organization has been going over the last 10-15 years.

Neither White Lightnin nor Thunderbird were ever CAF aircraft. They were always privately owned by Lefty, and as with some of the other CAF-associated aircraft that raced over the years, the CAF
                            never "officially" supported or condoned 'their' aircraft being raced. When they did race it was a decision made by the primary Col.'s sponsoring the aircraft (as in 1976-77 when Ed Messick and Gerald Martin raced the CAF P-39 and FM-2).

I understand the sentiment everyone is expressing about wanting the family to have the trophy...but my experience with racers in various forms of motorsports is that unless it's a winner's trophy, there ususally isn't a whole lot of sentiment attached to them after you start accumulating a lot of them.

Just my .02 worth.

Comment

WOW $1026 bucks!!! and probably done by one of those auto bid programs...

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              ...but my experience with racers in various forms of motorsports is that unless it's a winner's trophy, there ususally isn't a whole lot of sentiment attached to them after you start accumulating a lot of them.

Just my .02 worth.
                              Not to dispute what you are saying, but for me, all I have left are the dust collectors and a few memories....over a hundred trophies in my garage....my poor kids will probably hate me when Im gone...LOL
                              Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Working...
                              X