looking for pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for pictures

I'm looking for any pictures to download of an old sport biplane called the"Sorceress" all aluminum staggerwing with inverted gullwing on the bottom

Blacksheep
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Re: looking for pictures

I remember it but I don't know if I have a photo of it. I'll look...
    Bill L
    --------------------

Originally posted by blacksheep
    I'm looking for any pictures to download of an old sport biplane called the"Sorceress" all aluminum staggerwing with inverted gullwing on the bottom

Blacksheep

Comment

I know I have various pics of it ,I will just have to find them and scan them and I will try and post a few for you
      Aviation Buff/Artist/Pilot

Comment

This was my Uncle Don Beck's plane. I have a few 8x10s at home. Call me @ 925 363 5111 I will copy them and send them to you

Blair Beck

Comment

I remember watching it race years ago. Does anyone know whatever happened to the plane?

Comment

if my memory is correct it (or Sundancer) is in storage at the Smithsonian Air Musuem.
            blacksheep

Comment

Blair Beck , The nephew of Don Beck the owner of Sorceress was kind enough to send me a framed copy of an areial shot of Scorceress shot over Lake Tahoe along with an extra copy so I can scan it in for the rest of you to enjoy which I will do the first chance I get
              blacksheep

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                I remember watching it race years ago. Does anyone know whatever happened to the plane?
                It is in the Smithsonian

Comment

Well, it's probably not as nice as your pic - but here's one from the old pylon1.com website.

A special thanks to photographer, Chuck Aro

Photo info: Taken at Reno 1972, Sorceress Race #89 took 1st place in the Biplane Class - flown by pilot/owner Don Beck - set a new race record speed that year of 189.72MPH.
                  (note metal stress shown in upper left wing)
                  Attached Files
                  Mark K....

Comment

Hey what a cool photo yeah man

Comment

Thanks Mark,
                      I still think She is the most beautiful biplane ever built
                      blacksheep

Comment

Didn't that ship begin life as a Midget Mustang?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                          (note metal stress shown in upper left wing)
                          The wings were fully cantilevered, the struts were added on only
                          to comply with class rules, pop-riveted at first if memory serves me.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep
                            Thanks Mark,
                            I still think She is the most beautiful biplane ever built
                            There were quite a few beautiful & interesting designs, in that class, during that period. I've got another thread on this forum looking for some photos of the other designs. Dave Forbes Cobra, Sundancer, (Sorceress), Rutan-Quickie, were all pretty, Hot canary, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Miss-Q, some of the Mong, Knightister and Smith mods, all made it an entertaining class, for a while.
                            I contratulate Tom Aberle for stiring things up this year....
                            Love to see the bi-plane guys put up an official web site and start paying tribute to the history & creativity, the class has shown.
                            .................................................. .................Paul

Comment

When Don Beck's Scorcess and Dr. Sid White's Sundancer were in their prime sport class Biplanes were a race for 3rd place .

If my memory serves me Scorcess was orignally designed as a cross country ship and didn't fit the sport biplane rule until it had a landing accident and damaged a lower wing tip. So the lower wings were shortened to make it qualify and having cantiverered wings it did not require the wing struts required by the rules so they were added to the wing tips

Sundancer was based on the "miget mustang " with the bottom inverted gull wing added
                              blacksheep

Comment

Working...
                              X