• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yak-11 Racer Project?

Anyone know anything about this plane?

Looks fast!

Re: Yak-11 Racer Project?

I know that it has been for sale for a long time. It would make an interesting racer for sure! I just found an old link on here from 2007, and it is the old Mr. Awesome. It would be AWESOME to see on the course again!

Eric
    Last edited by Ebehne; 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure that used to be/is Mr. Awesome
      Last edited by johnnyrace; 10-17-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Very cool, thanks for the info guys

Comment

Old story here
          All Aviation FlightLine OnLine-Reno Air Races: The story of "Mr. Awesome" now known as "Red Heat"
          Last edited by FENCELINER; 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

The above pic is of the plane prior to the addition of the T-33 tail surfaces - which I believe it looks better/safer with. It now has a new cowl from a Canadian Argus coastal patrol airplane which also used R-3350TCs for power.
            Last edited by Unlimited Fan; 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM. Reason: added material/correction

Comment

I know Skip Holm flew it one year and had nothing good to say about how it handled. If you got the money to build a racer I wouldn't start here

Comment

I read many years ago Mr. Awesome got the T-33 tail after initial test flights found stability problems. The original tail just didnt look right to me (ArmChair engineer that I am . The yak must be built like a tank to be able to handle the R-2800. I'd love to see Mr. Awesome make a comeback. I think he had a lot of potential.

Comment

3350 Turbo compound

Comment

Wow, a 3350...... Too cool!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sctybdy View Post
                      Wow, a 3350...... Too cool!!!!!!
                      <opinion follows>
                      Only if "cool" means "slower than an engine more suited to the airframe." "Mr. Awful" indeed. </opinion>

Comment

You guys have some of your history wrong... I have Skip on record as saying the airplane had a lot of potential... It would indicate 400 at sea level, and 400 at 10,000 ft. Once they got the T-33 tail on it, it had acceptable flying qualities for a racer.

Now... Before that time... Yes, it was a handful and not very good.

If I had the money, I'd buy it.
                        Scotty G

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                          <opinion follows>
                          Only if "cool" means "slower than an engine more suited to the airframe." "Mr. Awful" indeed. </opinion>
                          How do you figure????
                          A stock Yak 11 has a Vne well under 300 mph. Mr. Awesome did over 400 mph. Without dreamers putting oversized engines in airplanes, we never would've had the Super Corsair, Rare Bear, or Dreadnought!!!!!
                          I also think Mr.Awesome was plagued with its share of bad luck and bugs still to be worked out. I would sure like to see Him back at the races with someone who can afford to take it to the next level.

Comment

Noticed they have eliminated the induction trunk from the top of the cowl. Also notice the large yellow tubs inside the fuselage and wondered if they had worked on putting a boil-off system to it. I think it could be an interesting competitor and certainly has an interesting history. This is one of the more highly modified racers ever built.

Comment

I think Czech Mate has gone fast enough to prove a 2800 is plenty of motor for a Yak. I don't see that monstrosity being any faster than Czech has gone. Hell, look at the speeds Argo ran with the 2800 this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X