2012 Reno Air Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Reno Air Races

When you have to consider all the logistics and everything involved with planning a major event, the planning probably starts shortly after the current event ends.

With the accident and loss of life that happened this year and not knowing what the results and recommendations will be, 2012 is one big question mark.

Heres an idea I had this morning while doing my cardio mountain bike ride :-)

Do the usual planning for the Air Races, with a footnote being (back-up plan B) should the air races be cancelled, Plan B would be the biggest warbird/race plane fly in west of Oshkosh. A big pit and field celebration of life, remembering those lost, socializing with all the owners/pilots/crews.

Static displays, photography workshops, Fly-bys, etc, etc., Pan cake Breakfast, The famous Bacon Sandwich from Oshkosh. Or the famous Reno "corn dog" and garlic fry cook offs. Maybe allowing some special photo opportunities under the pylons during fly-bys?

Theme - "Warbird - Pylon Racer Rendezvous 2012"

Focus around Air Racing History from past to present. Get all the the old guys from the Cleveland days into seminars. This would a excellent chance for the world to see our passion.

Of course my glass is "half-full" so we will have Plan A :-)

Last edited by Desertdawg; 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM.

Re: 2012 Reno Air Races

Boy I am all for that.

And so what if just by chance a few of the planes were to be flown around the course. Maybe even bump up the throttle a tad and show a pass. Doesnt have to be called a race. Either wawy it would be great fun for every one!

David

Comment

I thought the idea lame brained at first, but it is growing on me. EAA puts on a show in WA state, Oshkosh, and Florida...why not a warbird/racing specialty show/Fly-in at Reno? Lecturers and clinics, mock air races, air show acts and demos.....kind of like Oshkosh without the heat, humidity and piper cubs....I think you folks all need to join the EAA and start a campaign....and if racing is allowed, that is icing on the cake. I pay lots of money to go to OSH but I get to see Bob Hoover and other legends lecture and lots of warbirds flying around walls of fire....
      Racing or not, up the admission and bring in the big guns...and lets have a real warbird show!

Comment

It really is a good idea. I'd certainly be on board for that.
        sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
        http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

We could fill all the hangers with F1, Bi-planes, Sports Planes.

Fill the entire ramp with:
          Mustangs
          Sea Furys
          Yaks
          P47
          F2
          F4
          Bearcats
          F7
          P63
          AT6
          T28
          P40
          AD6 Sky Raider

Lets get a bomber alley:
          B17
          B24
          B25
          B26
          B29
          B52

I'm sure the Air Force and Navy would help with modern stuff.

Ideas

Planes could be grouped on the ramps for photo sessions throughout the 4 day event offering only the planes without the throng of spectators.

The bombers could offer flights for people that want to experience (one of my life goals is to fly in a B17)

RARA lost money in 2010, I don't even want to know what 2011 losses are. So maybe this could become a large fund raiser as well.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I think it certainly would be the way to go, if it's deemed the air races can't go ahead with 2012 because they're still waiting for NTSB/FAA decisions.

For that matter, I wonder if it could be done prior to the start of race week. I'm sure lots of us remember when race week didn't start quite so early. Maybe go back to the original schedule, making room for static displays, photo sessions etc?

Comment

*IF* we can't have air racing as we know it, then I say this is what September in Reno should turn out to be... a major west coast fly in/show were the world is invited to bring and show us what they got. Bring the British Red Arrows (the demo team I wish to see the most), the Snow Birds, Blue Angles, Thunder Birds, and other military demo teams from around the world.

Though I think only the jet (no big loss) and unlimited (a major loss) classes are really in danger of being lost. The F1, Biplanes, and sport classes should be able to race at Reno on the current courses as they are layed out.

Should we lose any element of the races, It should be filled in with military flybys and demos (Like the old days), and civilian teams. Or even a aerobatic competition of some sort (not the red bull either).

Who remembers the Black Hawk flyby with the Marines dangling out of the side doors on zip lines. Or the attack chopper that was shooting the anti missile flares, and chafe. Or the the C-130 short take off and landing demo. Then there was the SR-71, flybys (only got to see that once). I say bring that element back to the AIR show, not racing cars on the tarmac. Hell bring back Tora Tora Tora, or the junk car drop only from the Chinook now. Reno/Stead is a base for the fire bombers. Have them do a flyby and drop water. That would be really cool to see too. There is so much that can be done for the future, to Make it an air show that the world wants to come to. Another REALLY COOL idea for that something special. Find out when NSASA plans on farying the space shuttle to Cali.. See if they can plan it during race week and have them do a flyby or 2. Now THAT would be too cool for school, and a photo op that "couldn't be missed"!!!

My $.02

Wolfee
              Last edited by wolfee; 10-15-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Oh Man!...Oh Man! Yeah, if there is a possibility of the 2012 Season being put on hold because NTSB/FAA haven't made a decision before the deadline for RARA to commit to the race event, then to have something like the "Reno International Exhibitional Fly-in" would be a great alternative. Just my $.02 cents worth, too....

Comment

How about helicopter rides that follow the join up, down the chute and around the unlimited course then a lap around the Formula or bipe course for comparison?
                  Last edited by Sky Critter; 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM. Reason: sp
                  Sky Critter

Comment

I think this could really work....Every day at Osh, there are continuous B-17, Tri-motor, and P-51 rides....Who wouldn't want to attend a lecture by Hoover standing next to a ME-109, FW109, and ME262? Make this a Kind of Gathering of Eagles....the EAA, CAF, and RARA have the expertise to do this...it just has to be done somewhere else than Wisconsin. You know why 20,000 people camp out at OSH from all over the world? Cause its worth it! And this could be worth it too.

IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME......

Comment

I'm hearing a rumor that the NTSB and FAA have given the green light for the races to go on in 2012.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to it?

Comment

Haven't heard that, but those are only a couple of the hurdles in the way...

Comment

Do most of you who attend Reno regularly camp on-site at Stead or stay in town?

I have a 36' Bounder RV I might bring up if I get a couple friends to join in on fuel and lot expenses - seems like the Optimist Lot would be a cool place to park.

How quickly do the RV spaces fill up?

Any other recommendations for a newb in the planning stages?
                          Last edited by JLKnolla; 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

JLK, personally, I prefer the Catholic church lot and it never fills up since they took it over. Others can tell you about the other RV camps.
                            We will have lots of info for you later but please forgive us if we all dont chime in now. Some times we pilots/fans are supersticious and dont want to jink things....just saying... and welcome aboard. Lots of info can be gained by going back through the posts for the last two years on attending.....
                            chris

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                              Some times we pilots/fans are supersticious and dont want to jink things....just saying... chris
                              Us, superstitious?

Comment

Working...
                              X