PDA

View Full Version : Aviation movie night!

spacegrrrl
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
I want to make this a running thread. Once a week I am going to offer up a movie to watch. When the week is over we discuss!

Short notice but this weekend lets talk about

Always

I needed a favorite movie to watch for my birthday so I'm watching it now.

I'm adding a new thread to talk about this movie. This thread will be about what movies we pick for the next week.

So this week - Always

Next week I propose The Great Waldo Pepper, if someone has a better choice for the next movie post it here. :-)

Spacegrrrl

hattend
10-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Strategic Air Command (although hard to find in DVD)

Birds of Prey (crappy movie but the best helicopter scenes EVER!)

The original Flight of the Phoenix with Jimmy Stewart

Top Gun (fast forward through the love story)

Final Countdown (Splash the zero...repeat...splash the zero)

spacegrrrl
10-14-2011, 12:07 AM
I had to buy strategic air command on VHS. :-(

Flight of the Phoenix is a great choice, it was also remade I think! So I am going to basically take responses here as votes and in the next couple of weeks I'll post a schedule through the winter.

Here is a not complete list of movies under consideration.

The Great Waldo Pepper
Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines
Top Gun
Air America
Bat 21
Hot Shots
Airplane
Blue Max
Battle of Britain
High Road To China
Jet Pilot
Strategic Air Command
The Aviator (Christopher Reeves)
The Aviator (Howard Hughes bio)
Flyboys
Six Days, Seven Nights
Torra Torra Torra
Pearl Harbor
Flying Leathernecks
The Dam Busters
633 Squadron
Spirit of St. Louis
Flight of the Intruder
Cloud Dancer
Iron Eagle
Fire Birds
12 O'clock High
Memphis Bell

adding

Birds of Prey
Thunder Over Reno
Test Pilot
Bridges of Toko Ri
Thirty-Seconds Over Tokio
No Highay in the Sky
Catch 22
Dr. Strangelove
Failsafe
Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow
Rocketeer
The Skydivers
The Starfighters
Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies

So everyone please let's pick a great list to talk about for the next couple of months!

Spacegrrrl

AAFO_WSagar
10-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Michelle... should I "merge" this thread with the other to avoid confusion???

I do like the idea of a "movie night" not sure if I'm into or able to be into any "regimented" watch it tonight gig... (I'm so friggin "independent", wuz on my own, pretty much since 11 years old, if you tell me I have to drink water to survive, I'll die of dehydration!)

But I do like the idea of discussing movies!

wolfee
10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Jet pilot is def on my list spacegirl. Only because my grandfather did all of the flying seances for John Wayne. I have it on DVD, and original cast photos taken at Edwards infront of an F-86.

The movie isn't too bad either. :D

AAFO_WSagar
10-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Jet pilot is def on my list spacegirl. Only because my grandfather did all of the flying seances for John Wayne. I have it on DVD, and original cast photos taken at Edwards infront of an F-86.

The movie isn't too bad either. :DWolfee... I smell a great public interest story here..

Wanna chat? :dunno:

sandramore
10-14-2011, 02:29 AM
(I'm so friggin "independent", wuz on my own, pretty much since 11 years old, if you tell me I have to drink water to survive, I'll die of dehydration!)

Man after my own heart. lol

darrellmims
10-14-2011, 06:13 AM
"Fandango" while not a aviation movie has a short story in it when the group gets one guy to sky dive . The Hippie instructor and rickity Cessna is very funny ! :cool:

JLKnolla
10-14-2011, 07:54 AM
The Rocketeer - the retro look and Saturday Filmie feel were really great - plus I think there is a GB or Hughes-esque racer in it towards the end.

N22252
10-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Don't forget to include Thunder Over Reno!!!

Cool Crop Duster Scene
(fast-forward through some crap)
Cool Super Corsair Scenes
Cool Mustang Scenes
Drink a toast to Jimmy Leeward:beerchug:
(fast forward through some crap)
Drink a toast to Gerry Beck:beerchug:
Cool Racing Scenes
Drink a toast to the "lucky pliers" saving the day:eek13:
Watch the credits for the Real Stars:thumbsup:

degroodtt
10-14-2011, 08:41 AM
I couldn't get thru the movie ALWAYS. If you like the movie you have to find a copy of "A Guy Named Joe". Exact same movie only with Spencer Tracy and P-38's

http://www.videodetective.com/movies/trailers/a-guy-named-joe-trailer/326

My Favorite movie is Test Pilot with Clark Gable

tim
10-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I had to buy strategic air command on VHS. :-(

Here is a not complete list of movies under consideration.

Spacegrrrl

Bridges of Toko Ri
and
Dr. Strangelove, mostly cause Slim Pickens deserved the Oscar for the best bomber pilot ever.

Ramjets
10-14-2011, 08:56 AM
And, while we're still on Spencer Tracy, "Thirty-Seconds Over Tokio"!!!:thumbsup:

spacegrrrl
10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
"Fandango" while not a aviation movie has a short story in it when the group gets one guy to sky dive . The Hippie instructor and rickity Cessna is very funny ! :cool:

I definitely considered Fandango, it has some fun flying scenes and it is one of my favorite moveis of all time! I also sort of considered Wind because of the semi-aviation aspects of it.

Maybe at some point we should compile the "best flying scenes in movies not about flying" list!

Spacegrrrrl

spacegrrrl
10-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I couldn't get thru the movie ALWAYS. If you like the movie you have to find a copy of "A Guy Named Joe". Exact same movie only with Spencer Tracy and P-38's

http://www.videodetective.com/movies/trailers/a-guy-named-joe-trailer/326

My Favorite movie is Test Pilot with Clark Gable

I have "A Guy Named Joe" but I liked Always much better.

I need to chase down a copy of Test Pilot, I wish some of these movies were on DVD since I expect I'll have to find it on VHS.

Spacegrrrl

TomL
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I need to chase down a copy of Test Pilot, I wish some of these movies were on DVD since I expect I'll have to find it on VHS.

Speaking of wishing for DVD movies, I wish that someone would finally get Wings (1927 silent film) on DVD. It's the only academy award 'best picture' film to not be available on DVD :(
Another oldie is Howard Hughes' Hells Angels. Huge dogfighting scenes (and cheesy story lines) but overall an incredible aerial ballet!
TomL

Apteryx
10-14-2011, 12:12 PM
"Motherlode" with Charlton Heston....horrible movie, INCREDIBLE (unintentional) crash sequence...

Ditto with "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

hattend
10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Ditto with "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

I always wondered if that was a real crash (helicopter)

Don Hatten
Go Bear!

Lockheed Bob
10-14-2011, 01:42 PM
How about the "Blue Max" with George Peppard,Ursala Andress & James Mason. Another one I always liked was "War Lover" with Steve McQueen.:beerchug:

spacegrrrl
10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
How about the "Blue Max" with George Peppard,Ursala Andress & James Mason. Another one I always liked was "War Lover" with Steve McQueen.:beerchug:

I have Blue Max on my original list, not sure I've ever seen War Lover, I'll chase that down!

Spacegrrrl

KAHNZILLA
10-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Blue Max (my favorite) and Wild Blue Yonder a Czech movie with a great spitfire blasting a train scene, Happy Birthday. Thanks, KC:cool:

wolfee
10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Wolfee... I smell a great public interest story here..

Wanna chat? :dunno:

Sure, I love talking about my Grandfather. He died way before I was borne, so I never got to meet him. But the more I talk about him the more I learn about him.

Check your PMs for my phone number.

Wolfee

sandramore
10-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Now that's my idea of the way to watch a movie!! lol

Don't forget to include Thunder Over Reno!!!

Cool Crop Duster Scene
Cool Super Corsair Scenes
Cool Mustang Scenes
Drink a toast to Jimmy Leeward:beerchug:
(fast forward through some crap)
Drink a toast to Gerry Beck:beerchug:
Cool Racing Scenes
Drink a toast to the "lucky pliers" saving the day:eek13:
Watch the credits for the Real Stars:thumbsup:

MRE
10-14-2011, 05:18 PM
How about HBO's, Tuskegee Airmen? Can someone name the four Unlimited pilots that flew in the movie?

Dialtapper
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
How about HBO's, Tuskegee Airmen? Can someone name the four Unlimited pilots that flew in the movie?

Dan Martin, Jimmy Leeward, Dan Vance and ............?

Reever
10-14-2011, 09:51 PM
People, people, people! Robert Mitchum, Richard Egan and Robert Wagner. "The HUNTERS!" Love that movie. "This little stinker can get MIGs, and if he keeps his nose half way clean, I won't stand in his way!" Col. Dutch Imel.:bullhorn:

I must add one of my other favorites. If you love Mustangs, "Battle Hymn" with Rock Hudson.

I just remembered one more. One for us air race fans. 1957 "The Tarnished Angels" with Robert Stack, Rock Hudson and Dorothy Malone. This movie portrays air race fans in a VERY bad light. If you look past that, it's a very good movie.

"Bear" Driver
10-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Sorry y'all...Nothing can compare to "Test Pilot" with Clark Gable, Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy....

Dialtapper
10-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Actualy, there where 5.

Dan Martin, Jimmy Leeward, Dan Vance, Art Vance & Matt Jackson.

Thanks Danny.

BuckyD
10-15-2011, 03:00 PM
If you're into P-40s, AVG & total WW2 fighter pilot nostalgia like I am...

GOD IS MY COPILOT - Dennis Morgan, Dane Clark, Raymond Massey & Alan Hale. (My all-time fave since a kid & now on dvd) :p:D:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kdc4yT8guw

:cool: DBD

sandramore
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm waiting to see George Lucas' new film "Red Tails," which is supposed to be out next year.

Ramjets
10-15-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm waiting to see George Lucas' new film "Red Tails," which is supposed to be out next year.

Yes, you are soooooooo right! Tentatively due out Jan 20, 2012. I only hope Lucas does the Tuskegee Airmen and the 332nd Fighter Group proud!

MRE
10-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Of coarse you are right Dialtapper there were five. My mistake. A lot of good flying left on the cutting floor.

Leo
10-17-2011, 08:53 AM
The Tarnished Angels, I've been trying to remember that name!

I would add:
Island in the Sky
The High and the Mighty
Toward the Unknown
Wings of Fire (horrible movie except for some great Bearcat and Mustang flying)

frett board
10-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Airforce and Fighter Squadron.

Skyracer
10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
"Gypsy Angels" with Vanna White is another air racing treat.

V1670
10-17-2011, 12:13 PM

I would add:
Island in the Sky
The High and the Mighty
Toward the Unknown

Finally.......someone mentioned "Towards the Unknown" Any movie that has a glimpse of just about every aircraft in the Air Force inventory from the 50's is a MUST SEE. The X-2 shots are terrific. And what other movie includes the XB-51? Great flick.

Leo
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I watched one a while back on TCM that was about flight ops in the arctic (not Island in the Sky) and it was FULL of P-82 footage and other era Air-Force stuff, including a Fulton recovery. For the life of me I cannot remember the name and I did not DVR it.

This could be fun!

Reever
10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
X-15 with Charles Bronson!

Leo
10-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Cool movie! Everytime I see it, and the copy I have taped from TV years ago, it is all squished because of it's original format. LOTS of great original footage there.

spacegrrrl
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM

I would add:
Island in the Sky
The High and the Mighty
Toward the Unknown

After seeing some scenes from Tarnished Angels at the Flight Museum at Hood River (they have a plane there from the movie) I had to chase down a copy. Interesting movie! If you can find it definitely check it out, I'll add it to the list of possible movies.

Spacegrrrl

Leo
10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I actually saw it about a year ago on TCM. Used to see pieces of a lot of movies on that channel.
My wife now gets their monthly newsletter and movie listing. They show a lot of old aviation and war flicks. She undelines ones she thinks I might be interested in and we DVR since many are on at odd times.

frett board
10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Another good one is Dive Bomber in color 1941!

Reever
10-17-2011, 02:34 PM
It's not a movie, but I would love a copy of a documentary about the X planes. I think it was called "The Rocket Men". It went from the X-1 to the X-15. It was done in the early eighties after the space shuttle had made some of its first flights. I think it was done on an ABC show like Sixty Minutes, but not sure.

Skyracer
10-17-2011, 03:18 PM
It's not a movie, but I would love a copy of a documentary about the X planes. I think it was called "The Rocket Men". It went from the X-1 to the X-15. It was done in the early eighties after the space shuttle had made some of its first flights. I think it was done on an ABC show like Sixty Minutes, but not sure.I think that was "The X Planes". If it wasn't then we have another one to add to the list.

Skyracer
10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
After seeing some scenes from Tarnished Angels at the Flight Museum at Hood River (they have a plane there from the movie) I had to chase down a copy. Interesting movie! If you can find it definitely check it out, I'll add it to the list of possible movies.

SpacegrrrlI think the whole thing is on YouTube in six parts. I watched it the other night and nothing seemed to be out of sync.

Skyracer
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
"Gypsy Angels" with Vanna White is another air racing treat.Also has Eddie VanFossen, Al Goss, and others from the T6 ranks.

sandramore
10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Also has Eddie VanFossen, Al Goss, and others from the T6 ranks.

I was going to say, I need more of a reason to watch this flick than Vann White. lol

Donald McMullin
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
A movie not mentioned yet is "The Big Lift" which is about the Berlin Airlift.

Mostly C-54's with P&W R-2000 engines and good flying and ground control scenes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Lift

MustangFan
10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Haven't seen these mentioned yet, so I'll add:

1. "Empire of the Sun": Pretty good (to me at least) Spielberg flic about a boy coming of age during the Japanese occupation of China. Best scene is when a squad of Mustangs bombs and strafes the camp where the kid (played by Christian Bale) is a prisoner, and the kid is on top of the guard tower yelling "P51!! Cadillac of the Sky!!".

2. "One Six Right": Great documentary about the history of Van Nuys Airport in SoCal. Wonderful flying scenes.

3. "Speed and Angels": Documentary on two of the last USN pilots to qualify in the F-14 Tomcat (including the only woman). Good story on what it takes to get a fighter driver job, and the risks associated with it.

eagledriver
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Blue Max (my favorite) and Wild Blue Yonder a Czech movie with a great spitfire blasting a train scene, Happy Birthday. Thanks, KC:cool:

You mean "Dark Blue World". Fantastic movie, most Czech films are...

eagledriver
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
A couple to add to your list(s):

Captain of the Clouds - James Cagney

Flight from Ashiya - Yul Brenner

Dragonfly Squadron - I've been looking for a copy of this for years. RoKAF Mustang footage during the Korean conflict.

N22252
10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Don't forget the The Right Stuff

"There was a demon that lived in the air....":beerchug:

AirDOGGe
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I just ran across this one I have never seen nor heard of before. Surely, "Airplane" CAN be serious, so don't call me "Shirley"... :o

The description of this 1957 film may sound VERY familiar, as said comedy movie was a send-up of this drama flick. Even character names are similar, although "Joey" was not "Ted's" son in the later 1980 parody:

IMBD description page...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051221/

ZERO HOUR!

Ted Stryker is an ex-World War II squadron leader and fighter pilot who, 10 years after the end of the war, is still haunted by a decision he made that resulted in the death of several of his men. He's been unable to keep a job and when he gets home one day, he finds a note from his wife saying she and their young son Joey are leaving him and flying to Vancouver.

He manages to get on board the aircraft before it leaves but when the pilot and co-pilot - along with many passengers, including his son Joey - fall severely ill due to food poisoning, Stryker is the only man on-board with any flying experience, though not in multi-engine aircraft. He has to overcome his fears if he is to save the life of his loved ones and the rest of the passengers and crew.

:eek:

tim
10-25-2011, 10:48 PM
I just ran across this one I have never seen nor heard of before. Surely, "Airplane" CAN be serious, so don't call me "Shirley"... :o

The description of this 1957 film may sound VERY familiar, as said comedy movie was a send-up of this drama flick. Even character names are similar, although "Joey" was not "Ted's" son in the later 1980 parody:

IMBD description page...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051221/

ZERO HOUR!

Ted Stryker is an ex-World War II squadron leader and fighter pilot who, 10 years after the end of the war, is still haunted by a decision he made that resulted in the death of several of his men. He's been unable to keep a job and when he gets home one day, he finds a note from his wife saying she and their young son Joey are leaving him and flying to Vancouver.

He manages to get on board the aircraft before it leaves but when the pilot and co-pilot - along with many passengers, including his son Joey - fall severely ill due to food poisoning, Stryker is the only man on-board with any flying experience, though not in multi-engine aircraft. He has to overcome his fears if he is to save the life of his loved ones and the rest of the passengers and crew.

:eek:

Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande?

RBriscoe
10-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I have Blue Max on my original list, not sure I've ever seen War Lover, I'll chase that down!

Spacegrrrl

Great air-to-air formation sequences. Each side of the aircraft were painted differently so that the shots where McQueen looked out one window the camera saw one set of birds and then they would move the formation to the other side where the different paint job would make them look like different aircraft when he looked out the other window.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0056676/trivia

The major problem with "The Great Waldo Pepper" is that I have yet to find a widescreen transfer of it.

One film that I think missed the list is "A Gathering of Eagles" which has some great shots of an entire B-52 wing scrambling.

"Jet Pilot" with John Wayne and Janet Leigh has a few interesting, but all too brief, aerial sequences that were interesting.

Leo
10-26-2011, 07:23 AM
"Bombers B-52" with Karl Malden had some good bomber stuff in it also.

Martin Caidin wrote a book "Everything but the Flak" about the recovery and cross atlantic flight of the B-17's used in "War Lover". One of the first warbird books I read.
The buzzing scene in it (if you can find a version not cut to pieces) is legendary and real. B-17 below and between the hangars!

xmh53wrench
11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey folks, just FYI.....just scored "Twelve o'clock High", "Flying Leathernecks", "Tora Tora Tora", and "Battle of Britain" for the mere 5 bucks each DVD at the local Wally World (WalMart). They are have a run on them for Veterans Day.:D:D:D

sierra fox
11-12-2011, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Leo;95865]I watched one a while back on TCM that was about flight ops in the arctic (not Island in the Sky) and it was FULL of P-82 footage and other era Air-Force stuff, including a Fulton recovery. For the life of me I cannot remember the name and I did not DVR it.

This could be fun![/QUOTE

Hey Leo, the movie you mention is "Top Of the World" starring Frank Lovejoy. I own this one and agree its got some great footage of twin-stangs as well as some Flying Forts and a few other notables!

"Only Angels Have Wings" with Cary Grant and Thomas Mitchell is worth a look, cargo pilots flying the in the Andes!

"Cloud Dancer" which i havent seen on the list, this one gets alot of bad press but its worth the flying of Jimmy Leeward alone, "way" better than TOR!!!

"Too Hot to Handle" with Clark Gable and Myrna Loy, worth seeing for the water landing of a float equipped staggerwing with Loy at the controls!

"Command Decision" with Gable, Pigeon and Van Johnson. Outstanding film evolves around the Flying Fortress crews over Berlin!

If i repeated any, my appologies

Anthony

First time Juke
11-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Wing and a Prayer
Porco Rosso
Iron Eagle I, II, II IV

:thumbsup: