Wind shield washer on GG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind shield washer on GG.

I saw a switch that was labeled windshield washer on the dash of the Ghost, can anyone elaborate on that system?

Re: Wind shield washer on GG.

I don't know what the liquid was, but the system was to remove oil on the front of the canopy in case of a blown engine.

Comment

Some squirt fuel, others alcohol IIRC.
      Gives you a postage stamp of clear vision, maybe.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I figured it was something like that I was curious what medium might be used. Thanks again.

Comment

That is one thing that I have always wondered about and would consider a life saver. Could you imagine how you would feel trying to land an aircraft through a film of oil over the canopy, let alone with a bad engine??? Gives me the willys just thinking about it. Crazy.
          My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
            I saw a switch that was labeled windshield washer on the dash of the Ghost, can anyone elaborate on that system?
            If my memory is correct this was something that came about because of the Bill Spear crash were the windscreen in his mustang was covered in oil. Someone mentioned that if we used the same idea of an automobile wiper washer pump and filled the reservoir with solvent the air flow from the prop would clear the windscreen.

Comment

The late John Crocker had the same thing installed on Race 6 "Sumthin Else" back in the 80's. Whne i joined the team in 85, one of my jobs was to check the solvent level before every race. To do that involved going up through the "hell hole" in the aft fuselage to check the fluid level. It sure worked to clean the canopy when the engine blew.

Comment

If I remember correctly, they had already installed the system on race 55 but did not have time to install it in race 56 before race week. the system was in the trailer and they were going to try to install it before race days.
                bob burns
                ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Working...
                X