Moved Thread: Galloping Ghost Model Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved Thread: Galloping Ghost Model Thread

Hi folks, new here since the accident, and finally signed up. Your forum has been amazing with the photos, and the sincerity you all have for the air races and for Jimmy Leeward. Ive been around racing my whole life, just the dirt oval kind. I am building a 1/32 model of the Galloping Ghost, and will post up some pics as I get further along if ya dont mind. If somebody will answer me this though, the wings on GG were they white or a very light grey, I cannot tell in photos, it always looks different depending on reflections and shadows. Thanks again for the great forum, and incredible rendering Victor, its very moving.
    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Re: Jimmy Leeward memorial art

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
    Hi folks, new here since the accident, and finally signed up. Your forum has been amazing with the photos, and the sincerity you all have for the air races and for Jimmy Leeward. Ive been around racing my whole life, just the dirt oval kind. I am building a 1/32 model of the Galloping Ghost, and will post up some pics as I get further along if ya dont mind. If somebody will answer me this though, the wings on GG were they white or a very light grey, I cannot tell in photos, it always looks different depending on reflections and shadows. Thanks again for the great forum, and incredible rendering Victor, its very moving.
    Well in 2010 they were a very light grey almost white, but in 2011 they were silver like the fuselage of the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebehne View Post
      Well in 2010 they were a very light grey almost white, but in 2011 they were silver like the fuselage of the plane.
      That is a completely false statement. The wings and horizontal stabilizers in the '40's on the original Ghost were white and the fuselage was polished metal.

In 2009, 2010, and 2011 the wings and horizontal stabilizers on the Ghost were white and the fuselage was painted silver.

The color of the wings were never changed. Perhaps you're thinking it due to light issues like in this picture. But trust me...they were always white.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        That is a completely false statement. The wings and horizontal stabilizers in the '40's on the original Ghost were white and the fuselage was polished metal.

In 2009, 2010, and 2011 the wings and horizontal stabilizers on the Ghost were white and the fuselage was painted silver.

The color of the wings were never changed. Perhaps you're thinking it due to light issues like in this picture. But trust me...they were always white.
        My bad, I guess I shouldve specified that I was looking for the most recent color. I have scoured the build photos on WarbirdsAeroPress, and the more I looked the more I talked myself out of them being white. I was assuming that some of the interior structure cockpit/ect was a real light grey(hope I was right). Anyway, thanks for the info, and your acceptance of me into your community. Hope I can do the plane justice. Its a thing of beauty and speed.

.....so far, removed the scoop, clipped the wings, and in process of fabbing up the canopy and its fairings.

Thanks again

Comment

A bit more progress, the canopy shape is a bit off, but, bout the best I'm capable of. Its been about 10 years since I built a model. Btw, dont mean to hi-jack this thread, so if i need to start a new thread let me know.

Comment

Last one for a while. I'm going to take my time with paint and I have to make the decals and paint the stand.....

Rounding Reno Home Pylon...

Comment

That is going to be an extremely nice tribute!

Give me some time, this topic deserves its own thread!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I hope these help with your project. I have more if you need additional photos or have questions.....

Will
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
                  Last one for a while. I'm going to take my time with paint and I have to make the decals and paint the stand.....

Rounding Reno Home Pylon...

I am building a 1/32 model of the Ghost as well and wanted to give you an FYI that might save you some time. Red Pegasus Decals just completed a 1/32 set of decals of the Ghost #177 for about $13 I believe. I've ordered them but haven't received them yet so i can't speak to the quality however, the link is below. Mine is a bit farther along than your last pic, I'm clear coating right now. I'll post pics shortly.

As for the paint colors, I think the wings and horizontals plus the rudder are more of a winter gray rather than white. The fuselage is a metallic silver.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by DOC.129 View Post
                    I am building a 1/32 model of the Ghost as well and wanted to give you an FYI that might save you some time. Red Pegasus Decals just completed a 1/32 set of decals of the Ghost #177 for about $13 I believe. I've ordered them but haven't received them yet so i can't speak to the quality however, the link is below. Mine is a bit farther along than your last pic, I'm clear coating right now. I'll post pics shortly.

As for the paint colors, I think the wings and horizontals plus the rudder are more of a winter gray rather than white. The fuselage is a metallic silver.

Brian
                    The rudder is the same color as the fuse. Wings and horizontals were light gray.

Comment

One more note, the horizontals were clipped right before the elevator hinges. I couldn't tell if you did that or not...

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
                        The rudder is the same color as the fuse. Wings and horizontals were light gray.
                        Dammit!! Your right and I've already put three coats of clear on the whole thing. The spec drawings of the GG on Leeward Air Ranch.com show a gray rudder and I couldn't really tell in most of the pics I saw so I went with it.

It's ok, I've already painted the thing 3 times now. One more can't hurt.

Brian

Comment

Sorry Brian?!?!?!?!

Comment

I would rather spend the time to make it accurate, I'm glad you said something.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
                              I'm so confused

Thanks for the compliments, and the tips, oh and yup, I clipped the horizontals are just outboard of the elevator hinges.

Comment

Working...
                              X