Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Off topic...I've got these old books...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Off topic...I've got these old books...

One of the things my Father left us with are maybe 200 old aviation books, gotten over a lifetime of being a Naval Aviator and Airline Pilot...

Several of the "Janes" volumes, WWII books, manuals, stuff you wouldn't believe.....

Wayyy tooo much stuff to list here....

But the question is, What should I do with this stuff? Donate it..?? Sell it on EBAY..(I saw just one of the Janes books was like worth $900..).

None of my three sons wants anything to do with it....but it's a wealth of information in actual books (not just a copy on the Internet).

What should I do???

Re: Another Off topic...I've got these old books...

Would you be willing to auction them off, perhaps through Ebay and possibly donate part of the proceeds to the Family Assistance Fund?

Today I need to have a look at setting up an Ebay "store front" so we can auction off some artwork and wine for the Fund, so if you're interested, perhaps we could chat about it this evening?

Sandra
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

That is a thought.... I had not considered .... not a bad idea....

I have not cataloged any of it, so it would take me a little while to get a list of the stuff together....

But I have band practice tonight....but I like the idea...so let's bounce it around some more...

Comment

Any flight gear.............helmets, O2 masks, etc

Thanks.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
          That is a thought.... I had not considered .... not a bad idea....

I have not cataloged any of it, so it would take me a little while to get a list of the stuff together....

But I have band practice tonight....but I like the idea...so let's bounce it around some more...
          I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Comment

If you do list them, please post it so we can bid on them. I have a collection of aviation books and would love to add to it. Thanks.
            "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
              If you do list them, please post it so we can bid on them. I have a collection of aviation books and would love to add to it. Thanks.
              My two serious weaknesses - air race pictures and aviation books. lol

Comment

I would also be very interested. I have a very large aviation library and just purchased an old volume of Jane's for example.

So if you decide to put stuff up for sale here definitely consider giving us first shot!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                  I would also be very interested. I have a very large aviation library and just purchased an old volume of Jane's for example.

So if you decide to put stuff up for sale here definitely consider giving us first shot!

Spacegrrrl
                  I guarantee that anything that gets auctioned for the Family Assistance Fund will be posted here first!

Comment

Thanks for all your interest.

I have these in storage at my house...I do not have a list of what I have..Yet, (even though I've been sitting on them for 15+ years) and I haven't seen them in a couple months..but when I do find them again, I will let you all know what there is, that might be worth your time.

I hope to get this project done by years end, I am a lazy a$$ so I have to give myself that much time.

And No facemasks, headsets, or much other paraphanalia still exists, but I might still have some old sliderule computers for specific planes...I know there's at least a couple of those...Maybe I saw a sextant in there too???

We used to have some Japanese aircraft instruments my father personnaly scavanged from some downed Jap planes on some of the South Pacific islands he flew into...But the old man must have tossed that stuff probably back in the 70's...I thought that stuff was SO COOL...

I also have a chest full of WWII photos taken with B&W cameras mostly by Dad, A lot of air to air and ground crew shots....That'll be another project...to get that stuff scanned and shared before it turns to dust...

Comment

Just a thought:

If you are selling things on e-bay they take a large percentage of what the item sells for, so it may be better ,and cheeper in the long run to make a web site to sell through. Then there would be more money to be had for the fund raiser instead of giving away a large chunk of the proffits to people who could care less about the cause.

David

Comment

Originally posted by AEROBAT View Post
                        Just a thought:

If you are selling things on e-bay they take a large percentage of what the item sells for, so it may be better ,and cheeper in the long run to make a web site to sell through. Then there would be more money to be had for the fund raiser instead of giving away a large chunk of the proffits to people who could care less about the cause.

David
                        Sorry for this t/j.

David, they discount the fees pretty substantially depending on the percentage going to a "registered" non-profit. Which is why I don't have the store front going yet, I'm waiting for them to let me know the Family Assistance Fund has been registerd.

Think Kindness has a website, but Brian handles so many other things besides our Family Assistance Fund, that Stewart and I are handling all the fundraising and events, leaving Brian to count the incoming donations.

And we're working on a website, but at the moment, Stewart and I are unemployed so the money is tight. lol Stewart was fired from KOLO Channel 8 news for refusing to turn over to them the close up video of the crash, in all its gory detail. The NTSB has it but no one else.

Sandra

Comment

Wow, Sorry to hear stewart lost his job but I totaly agree with the decision not to give them the vidio. Sounds like you got a good handle on the store and web ideas. I know all about money being tight. I am working and strugling to just get by. But I would still go into debt to buy some things once you get it going, and to help send some money in the right direction. Hope the best for you and Stewart.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X