What's In A Number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's In A Number?

Can anyone fill me in on how race numbers are assigned to aircraft?

There are several numbers that have always belonged to a team, other famous numbers that have belonged to different teams.

Race 77, 38, and 5, are a few that have been assigned to other famous aircraft in the past, do they get assigned to the aircraft, the team, or the pilot?

What if the same team replaces the original aircraft, do they keep their original number?

Thanks. . .

Don

Re: What's In A Number?

Each class handles the assignment of numbers.

In the T-6's, they are assigned to the pilot. I was lucky to get our old number back this year and raced it as Race 22 and under the race name of Tin Lizzie. When I raced last year, it was such a rush to get the airplane there, I was allowed to use the number on the plane and just came up with a name to put on it and raced it as Race 56 Team Dutchman.

If I can arrange to race it again, I'm not sure if I can keep the number because it actually belongs to someone else. Altough I am a number holder, I have not had a number assigned to me.

Comment

In the unlimiteds, the number is assigned to the owner / team and must be renewed every year (maybe every two, I can't remember) or they will lose it. That's how Polar Bear is now race 4. They bought the number after it was not renewed for Dago.

Comment

Ok, interesting and thank you.

So if an aircraft in the unlimited's say was out for a few years for a major restoration, the team could keep the number current by paying a fee?

I read somewhere in this forum that Jimmy Leeward wanted 77 back at some point but of course it was already taken.

I suppose as a number holder you have first dibs on it until you no longer pay the fee.

Cheers, Don

Comment

Originally posted by CRJpilot View Post
          Ok, interesting and thank you.

So if an aircraft in the unlimited's say was out for a few years for a major restoration, the team could keep the number current by paying a fee?

I read somewhere in this forum that Jimmy Leeward wanted 77 back at some point but of course it was already taken.

I suppose as a number holder you have first dibs on it until you no longer pay the fee.

Cheers, Don
          Exactly

Comment

Makes sense, thanks. . .

Don

Comment

Working...
            X