...and another Wingman Quiz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...and another Wingman Quiz...

So here we go again. Usual suspects excluded (including John Slack and 51fixer) til noon Tuesday, and then it's theirs to comment on (endlessly in Brad's case I suspect) (though always interestingly!).

So how many of these folks can you all identify? I actually talked to three of them this year at Reno.

Bonus points for the year this was taken, and for any decent guesses about what is going on here...

Neal

Re: ...and another Wingman Quiz...

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue..."

Comment

Two things...maybe they are checking the fuel to make sure that there is no Dr. Pepper in the gas tank or they can't find the Diablo sandwich.

Comment

The Baron!!

Comment

Definitely working a '70s vibe there, Neal -- '77 or '78? Maybe to fill a couple of the blanks, Jim Maloney on the far left, Rafe Thomset (?!) on the wing, Jimmy of course in the Lou IV shirt. I'm guessing the crewman with the jar is debating whether he wants to finish another smoke oil . . .

Comment

Well Bill, you got one right...

Certainly not Rafe on the wing, but I'm surprised to see his name come up! I haven't seen Rafe for many years...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              Well Bill, you got one right...

Certainly not Rafe on the wing, but I'm surprised to see his name come up! I haven't seen Rafe for many years...

Neal
              I believe 5 race pilots, past and present , in the pic.

Thats right, I'm not allowed here.

Comment

How 'bout John Maloney? Rafe (former Snowbirds photog) is still around, though apparently not here.

Damn -- guess I shouldn't have had that last smokeoil . . .

Comment

You're up to two, Bill. Young John would have been about 18 in this shot.

Rich -- I reckon noon is unfair to you, as it'll be noon in Washington State in an hour. So call it 9 am your time...

Neal

Comment

Robby Patterson on the wing

Comment

OKay Neal- I'll take a WAG on a couple IDs-

Guessing maybe Dan Martin at ctr w/back to camera lookin' up towards RB-51 crew chief Randy Scoville on the wing (scrutinizin' the sample jar). Long shot, but is that maybe Gary Levitz w/aviator sunglasses on just beyond the back of Leeward's shirt collar? No clue on the Dr.. Pepper drinker...

DBD

Comment

Wondering if the Dr Pepper drinker is John Hinton???? Kinda looks like him, but not sure if the age is right.

Comment

We're getting there. We have Johnny Maloney, Robbie Patterson, Dan Martin, Jimmy Leeward, and Randy. Those were the ones I knew. Interesting guess on the sunglasses guy -- Levitz seems plausible though I hadn't caught that. I also have no idea on the soda drinker, or if he even was part of the group in this snap photograph. I also have absolutely no idea what might have been in the sample jar that Dan has brought to Randy.

So now we wait for Brad and Rich to chime in! Rich says 5 racers here -- I only have 4 for sure -- maybe Levitz as the last? I would guess that Rich is fixing Griffons or something today, and maybe Brad is actually doing something productive for a change instead of hanging out on AAFO.

So we're waiting, guys...

Neal

Comment

Hi Cindy -- Interesting guess on the Dr. Pepper guy. I initially would have said no, but I went back and looked at it again and now it's a maybe... John Hinton is a bit older than John Maloney, isn't he?

Neal

Comment

Here's a shot of Gary Levitz that same year...

Comment

Working...
                              X