PDA

View Full Version : World Speed Record Broken - Steadfast Will Whiteside

johnnyrace
10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Will Whiteside, His Crew, and Steadfast have set a currently UNOFFICIAL Speed Record in Class 1C1D at 407mph...They are getting ready for another attempt to increase the record as this is written...Photos below.

Wendover, Ut On Monday October 10, the world turned it's attention to perhaps the most historic ground on earth for speed records, the Bonneville salt flats. At 407 MPH, Will Whiteside and his Reno Air racer "SteadFast" unofficially shattered the previously held three Kilometer speed record by 102 MPH. Originally set in 2002 by the Howard Hughes designed H1 replica Racer, and previously established by Howard Hughes himself in the original H1 in 1935.

40 year old Veteran Reno air racer Will Whiteside claimed the second fastest qualifying time at the 2011 Reno National Championship Air Races in the P-51 VooDoo and was a contender for the overall win. "SteadFast", Will's WWII era Russian fighter/racer appropriately named for it's yearly prowess on the racecourse at Reno Stead airport is in its sixth year of speed refinements. This powerful piston powered, propeller aircraft was chosen to break the three Kilometer closed course for the under 6600 lb. world aviation record because of its significant power to weight design characteristics.

TUESDAY October 11 , 2011... SPEED NOW IS THE NEW UNOFFICIAL RECORD OF 416mph!!!!

wingman
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for this! I'm glad somebody's there and keeping us up to date...

Neal

Desertdawg
10-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I second that.

Thanks

:beerchug:

johnnyrace
10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I wanted to be there, but could not make it...Will is sending me info as it happens to keep you all informed as quickly as possible.:bullhorn:

3pedal
10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Very cool - I didn't know this was going on. Wish I could be there.

wolfee
10-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the update Johnny...

And congrats yo Will and team Steadfast on the new record! Awesome stuff!!

Wolfee

hattend
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Congratulations to Will and Steadfast!

Well Done!

Don Hatten
Go Bear!

flyingjibus
10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Awesome for Will!

Now someone needs to go break his record in an american designed aircraft. Maybe something like this?

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/20408/Xs58020.jpg

Daver
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
AWWWRIGHT! Go SteadFast!!!!

invader28
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Where was this record set at exactly?

johnnyrace
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Today's speed and the record is now UNOFFICIALLY 416mph!!!

wolfee
10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
416!!! :eek::eek:

That is just AWESOME!!! :beerchug:

AAFO_WSagar
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Woo HOO!

Go WILL WHITESIDE!!

Will... PM/Phone me, looks like we're going to have to update your site!!

:thumbsup:

boomtown
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Congrats to Will and Steadfast!!! :thumbsup: I have a feeling we might see more of these records broken......

johnnyrace
10-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Here is a low quality video of a pass...Sorry it's such bad quality, I received it as a text on my phone and uploaded it to youtube from that, but you'll get the gist!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2i47wnFUw

Lowell
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Way to go Will!

Now while everything is all set up, how about going back and getting that purple 'Stang so a P-51 can once again hold the absolute record.

taglialavore
10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I´m very happy for this.
Congratulations Will and your team, You did it :thumbsup:

wyhdah
10-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Congrats to Will and crew and to the little Yak that could. First 400 on the course now a speed record!:thumbsup:

gp70442
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Pretty exciting stuff right there!
Congratulations to Will and Team Steadfast. Not everyone has a record in their pocket.

GP

Jeff Lee
10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Congrats Will! A great accomplishment!

FuryFan
10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Congratulations to the whole team!

Kevin

FlyGirlKat
10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
WooHoo!! Go Will!! That record is yours!!

Maybe it's just the cell phone video, but it almost looks like he had a gear hanging?

AAFO_WSagar
10-11-2011, 11:25 PM

Maybe it's just the cell phone video, but it almost looks like he had a gear hanging?That's interesting... I talked with Will earlier tonight.. he's broke down in Elko... gear came down on him on its own on his way back home today.........

Gotta look at that video!

johnnyrace
10-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Maybe it's just the cell phone video, but it almost looks like he had a gear hanging?

After reading your observation and watching that video over a few times frame by frame , I think its just the frame rate of the video makes a propeller blade look like a gear drop in the video...He did have a gear issue on the way home, but I am pretty sure that's an illusion in the video...

sandramore
10-12-2011, 12:30 AM
That's interesting... I talked with Will earlier tonight.. he's broke down in Elko... gear came down on him on its own on his way back home today.........

Gotta look at that video!

My condolences, Will, knowing you're stuck in Elko... I hope you get unstuck from that place soon and have a safe trip home. :thumbsup:

T. Adams
10-12-2011, 05:18 AM
Great job team Steadfast. Now what I really want to know is when is Strega going after the Bear. That is the only record that really matters.

Propellerhead
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Congratulations Will and Team Steadfast! That's awesome.

Lockheed Bob
10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Great job Will & Team. Get home safe.:beerchug:

Fence Sence
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Right on Will! Outstanding!

RBriscoe
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Awesome for Will!

Now someone needs to go break his record in an american designed aircraft. Maybe something like this?

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/20408/Xs58020.jpg

No! The original killed enough people.

Jimmy Doolittle is one of the few men to have flown it and lived to tell the tale.

Whiteside
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you guys for all of the nice comments on our efforts. Its really precise flying and its really fun to have an airport all to yourself to race on!
Team SteadFast is a great bunch of guys and we proved that this week. These guys are dedicated and they are out for blood.

Stay SteadFast
Will Whiteside

johnnyrace
10-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Nice to see CJ!!!!

AAFO_WSagar
10-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Will Whiteside.... How do we thank this "young" (sorry Will) man for what he has done for the grand sport of National Championship Air Racing by undertaking and conquering this speed record!

Let this be the first of several speed record challenges we might see over the next months!

Be sure to visit the Team Steadfast (http://teamsteadfast.com/) website... visit his SPONSOR page (http://teamsteadfast.com/sponsors.html) and if you happen across one of them.. make sure you give them a big thank you from the fans of the sport who do their best to help them support race pilot's and teams like Team Steadfast!

Thank You Will!

:thumbsup:

Airrace7
10-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Will Whiteside, His Crew, and Steadfast have set a currently UNOFFICIAL Speed Record in Class 1C1D at 407mph...They are getting ready for another attempt to increase the record as this is written...Photos below.

Wendover, Ut On Monday October 10, the world turned it's attention to perhaps the most historic ground on earth for speed records, the Bonneville salt flats. At 407 MPH, Will Whiteside and his Reno Air racer "SteadFast" unofficially shattered the previously held three Kilometer speed record by 102 MPH. Originally set in 2002 by the Howard Hughes designed H1 replica Racer, and previously established by Howard Hughes himself in the original H1 in 1935.

40 year old Veteran Reno air racer Will Whiteside claimed the second fastest qualifying time at the 2011 Reno National Championship Air Races in the P-51 VooDoo and was a contender for the overall win. "SteadFast", Will's WWII era Russian fighter/racer appropriately named for it's yearly prowess on the racecourse at Reno Stead airport is in its sixth year of speed refinements. This powerful piston powered, propeller aircraft was chosen to break the three Kilometer closed course for the under 6600 lb. world aviation record because of its significant power to weight design characteristics.

TUESDAY October 11 , 2011... SPEED NOW IS THE NEW UNOFFICIAL RECORD OF 416mph!!!!

Congratulations to the whole team!
Great Job Will and Team Steadfeast!
Santa Rosa know has a whole bunch of new record holders.:beerchug:

Bill

wolfee
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Let this be the first of several speed record challenges we might see over the next months!

Seems you might know of a couple more record attempts to be made some time soon Wayne.. Care to elaborate on some details for us not in the know? :beerchug:

If it's info to be kept quiet, then I understand, But info like that I wouldnt think would be hush hush material.

Wolfee

Race5
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM
No! The original killed enough people.

Jimmy Doolittle is one of the few men to have flown it and lived to tell the tale.

That is no where near the original GeeBee design. It could be done safely, and I really hope someone builds that in full scale some day. That is also not an American design. It was originally penned by Mirco Pecorrary (sp) who designed the paint scheme for Relentless and others. Unfortunately the design has been stolen by several RC aircraft companies.

AAFO_WSagar
10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Seems you might know of a couple more record attempts to be made some time soon Wayne.. Care to elaborate on some details for us not in the know? :beerchug:

If it's info to be kept quiet, then I understand, But info like that I wouldnt think would be hush hush material.To be honest, I know of nothing... Will didn't even tell me about his attempt and I learned about it here!

I'm just guessing there is some unspent money and energy within the Unlimited ranks... and there were always plans for the Bear to make some attempts...

Believe me, I'd love to be "in the know" on this, because I'd love to attempt to be there to record them for the history of the sport..

Coyote Chris
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Congrats to Will and his team! Curious about other aircraft speed records, I went to the FAI website and it says the Class C, aeroplanes, records are currently unavailable on-line..."contact the FAI. " What's up with that?
Is this all some big secret or what?

3pedal
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Congrats to Will and his team! Curious about other aircraft speed records, I went to the FAI website and it says the Class C, aeroplanes, records are currently unavailable on-line..."contact the FAI. " What's up with that?
Is this all some big secret or what?

I can't imagine it is a secret. I read about it on the AvWeb email today.

Great job guys. I need to get a new SteadFast sticker, as it is time to upgrade laptops.

Coyote Chris
10-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I dont mean Will's record...that's no secret...I meant looking up all records of aeroplane speeds.

invader28
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Who is the official keeper of aircraft records? FIA? I'm new to aircraft records.

Whiteside
10-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Guys, thanks for the support. It was my honor to set the record and practice for higher speeds. Its tricky flying, demanding flying and really fun to race the clock.
I prefer the Reno racecourse but its still a race! My crew is superb and really made the event a smooth one.
Thank you for all of your kind words, we do this for lots of reasons and the fans are a big part of that.
Thanks again
Will Whiteside

Friends/Crew:
Larry Childs Crew Chief
Johnny Maloney pilot
Mike Stephens
Chris Seppeler
Bryan Lee
Bill Whitlatch
Don Mcmullin Sponsor and
CJ Stephens Technical Advisor
Mark Kandianis Sponsor of event.

Shifty
10-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Congrats to Will and the whole team! Wearing my 5 year old Steadfast T-shirt right now as I sit in Turlock CA at a family gathering. When I get back to Santa Rosa I sure would like to represent with a new shirt as I'm about to be wearing a holy rag(pun intended). Any chance of a new run to support the team?

GeeBeeZ1931
10-15-2011, 05:50 AM
It's great to see another fast Yak coming of age so to speak.
This is just the way Bob Yancy did it in Czech Mate when it was still Perestroika. Started out about 380-390 or so in 1987 or 88 and got a bit faster each year till it began passing planes in the Gold race.
Congratulations Will and crew!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

invader28
10-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks Will, you have really inspired me!! time to get flying!!

N29131
10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
My condolences, Will, knowing you're stuck in Elko... I hope you get unstuck from that place soon and have a safe trip home. :thumbsup:

Now, Sandra, I have to take offense to your comment about Elko! It happens to be my home town and a great place to live. I am sorry you apparently don't see it that way, but for a lot of us here in Northeastern Nevada, Elko is a great place to be and a great place to be from!

My only wish is that I had been on duty here at the airport firehouse the day Will was broke down and "stuck in Elko". I would have drove my big, green firetruck across the ramp to welcome him to our little town and see if I could help in any way.:)

johnnyrace
10-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Here is a link to a video of the RECORD BREAKING event...

http://vimeo.com/principalphoto/steadfast

CRJpilot
10-21-2011, 06:20 AM
What an amazing video! :eek: :thumbsup:

Don

First time Juke
10-24-2011, 08:55 AM
What an amazing video! :eek: :thumbsup:

Don

Cool original's speed has been doubled nearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-11

Whiteside
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM
More to come...

Donald McMullin
02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Will Whiteside flying Steadfast is being honored by NAA on March 13th for 3km record flight.

Washington, DC, January 31, 2012 -- The National Aeronautic Association (NAA), as the official record keeper for United States aviation and space, each year tracks dozens of world and national record attempts. New U.S. records are certified and those qualifying as world records are then ratified with the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the world air sports federation. At the end of each year, under the direction of the Contest and Records Department, a list of the "most memorable" is created. Here is the list for 2011

Speed Over a Three Kilometer Course: 416 mph
(record for piston airplanes weighing 3,858 < 6,614 lbs)
In a series of four low passes along runway 8-26 at Wendover, Utah, Will Whiteside flew an average speed of 416 mph in his Yak-3. His flight on October 11 beat the previous record of
304 mph set in 2002.

Reference NAA web site for details of others being honored.

taglialavore
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
More Congratulations for Will and his team:thumbsup::thumbsup: