Nut Tree Gathering of Mustangs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut Tree Gathering of Mustangs.

I found some Mustangs this weekend. I thought I'd share.

Enjoy,
    Will

Re: Nut Tree Gathering of Mustangs.

Too cool, my wife says that her dad would fly them into the Nut Tree for lunch when she was a little girl.
    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Great pics. Went to a flyin this weekend my self, but no mustangs here. Jody

Comment

Will nice! I totally forgot about the mustang show this weekend with fleet week and all. I was looking all over the web today for pics of the gathering so glad to see you post these. Were Comfortably Numb and Merlins Magic in attendance?

Comment

Merlins Magic and CN were both missing in action. The P63 from Santa Rosa was supposed to be there, but didn't make it. I also heard that one of the A26s from Santa Rosa was supposed to be there, but again no show. It was a small gathering this year. The previous two years were better, but I can't complain.

Voodoo left early, I didn't get a chance to shoot any shots of the take off.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            Merlins Magic and CN were both missing in action. The P63 from Santa Rosa was supposed to be there, but didn't make it. I also heard that one of the A26s from Santa Rosa was supposed to be there, but again no show. It was a small gathering this year. The previous two years were better, but I can't complain.

Voodoo left early, I didn't get a chance to shoot any shots of the take off.

Will
            Isn't that C-Numb right above the one static pic of Sparky on the ramp?

Comment

Originally posted by DOC.129 View Post
              Isn't that C-Numb right above the one static pic of Sparky on the ramp?
              .....and thats Numb flying formation next to Andreini in the Yak-11.

Comment

Originally posted by DOC.129 View Post
                .....and thats Numb flying formation next to Andreini in the Yak-11.
                Yeah, good point. For some reason I was thinking that was Red Dog 12 I think the reason it didn't register is because I didn't shoot the nose art due to it being on the shadow side of the plane. I'll chalk it up to being out to lunch mentally.

Will

Comment

Thanks for posting this. The Nut Tree/Milk Farm was quite the place in the 60 and 70s.

Our High School in Pacifica, CA use to do fields trips their. I don't know what the educational value was to take bus loads of kids to the Milk Farm, but as a kid it meant no school LOL

I sure wish we'd get another airplane venue in Reno, they could tie it into the end of PRS, or just a stand alone event? There so many warbirds and other historical planes we never see at the air races.

Just to see and hear them all would be a sight. The "Sights and Sounds of the Warbirds" Reno Style. With our mountain back drops would be a photographers paradise.

Several years back I know there was talk of having the P51 Rendevous here, got all excited and then learned they held it some place else :-(

Comment

I too was at the Nut Tree this past weekend. Nice turnout especially with the Thunder Mustangs.

The Nut Tree is a sad story. It use to be such a great place to take students on cross countries or families just to drive and check out the restaurant, candy making store or the pilot shop. It was such a gem.

Now it is more of an aircraft storage facility with a history of unscrupulous, disingenuous flight schools. Not the lively place it use to be.

But once a year it comes alive with the Gathering of Mustangs. And that I am thankful for.

Comment

I remember the Nut Tree back in its hay day. I remember a B25 sitting out there at some point. When my family would pass through the area I'd always want to stop. I was really bummed out when it was turned into what it is today. The gift shop was the best, I think I heard that one of the Ryan STAs that I took pictures of was the one that sat in the gift shop.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                        Yeah, good point. For some reason I was thinking that was Red Dog 12 I think the reason it didn't register is because I didn't shoot the nose art due to it being on the shadow side of the plane. I'll chalk it up to being out to lunch mentally.

Will
                        Thought so, Terry wouldn't miss the Nut Tree. He never passes up the chance to show off one of the nicest Stangs around (IMO).

Comment

Hey! that's me in the back seat of Sparky. (The later pic) Thanks again Brant and Steve.

What the heck is the biplane with the polished wheel pants? I flew in late and they took off before I could get a look up close.

What about that Ryan the Jimmy Rollison was flying? What a beauty.
                          Attached Files
                          Bill Garnett
                          InterstellarDust
                          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

[QUOTE=Bill@Interstell;95735]What the heck is the biplane with the polished wheel pants? I flew in late and they took off before I could get a look up close.

[/ flying? QUOTE]

Hey Bill, it looks like a Pitts Model 12 to me. http://www.pittsmodel12.com/gallery.php
                            Jason
                            Jason Schillereff

Comment

Working...
                            X