Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fans in the Seats

The Fans in the Seats ~

Every September since 1964, thousands of hard-core devotees of the world's-fastest motorsport- competitive closed-course pylon Air Racing, eagerly come fm all around the globe to gather together in Reno, Nevada to be present during the excitement of race week @ the National Championship Air Races- one of aviation's premiere annual events.

Air racing fans as a group, comprise an enthusiastic tight-knit community that truly-loves aviation & its’ history, and knows how to celebrate & enjoy their common passion, while cheering-on their favorite contestants, -on a par equal to any major big spectator sport.

Most of the fans prefer to watch the air racing arena of competition action from the reserved & general admission grandstand bleachers or in the box seating up front near the finish line by Home Pylon- located by-design as the ideal spectator vantages for those fans that wish to follow the progress of an entire race & see performers right at air show center.

I think it would be safe to say- the majority of all air racing fans & even the participants, started-out their tenures by watching the races from the seats (I know I did for the first five of my past 37-consecutive years of attendance before I thought of picking up a camera vs. just watching). The camaraderie and level of enthusiasm generated by being right in there amongst the cheering fan spectator crowd is absolutely invigorating & infectious. Lots of good times are remembered & many times I've missed that wonderfully-fun people experience of watching the races from the stands.

This year's tragic freak accident occurrence during Friday's UNL Gold Heat-2A of Galloping Ghost flying out of control & crashing down into the box seats that resulted in the loss of veteran racer Jimmy Leeward & ten spectators, while gravely-injuring many more, -seems incomprehensible to all of us who were there (and to the watching world at large, as well). Whether or not a 'probable cause' determination can be eventually-declared by govt. investigation & analysis months fm now, almost seems moot, and surely won't provide any real solace to victim survivors & their families, or to us lovers of air racing- whose hearts were broken that sad day at Stead Field.

Hopefully, the Reno NCAR event & the air racing motorsport will be allowed to continue its' long great tradition in aviation history, after all is said and done. One thing's certain in my mind, and that's whatever the outcome either way- we must sincerely try our best to honor & never forget those loyal fans in the seats who became casualties on 9/16/11. I am amazed how many of the injured publicly-volunteered their desire to see Reno & air racing go on. If we can find it in within our hearts & means to offer some form of donated support to victims families via established fund-raiser groups right now-even better. That's just the right thing to do & coming from us sends a positive message out that we really do care about our sport and our own.

After all-they're the Fans in the Seats & we're them too. We all belong to The Air Racing Family.

Respectfully-

Don 'Bucky' Dawson
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 10-08-2011, 06:34 PM.

Re: The Fans in the Seats

Thanks for the reminder, Bucky.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Amen, Bucky...Amen.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Greatest spectator sports fans ever, without a doubt & proud to be part of their extended family. Here's an amazing news story about one of them- Larry Cruz fm the Seattle area, that I found posted over at ScottyG's WAP site this morning:

This one really touches close to home, as before I retired fm my job last Dec. as a seaplane airline parts/purch. mgr., I had the pleasure of dealing with Larry & his lovely wife Tracy for over 10-years for all my Beaver & Cessna prop governor overhauls via their business- Wings West Governor Exchange & Overhaul, Inc. in Puyallup. They've been doing most of the governors for the Unlimited & T6 racers for many years (you've all seen their WW sponsor stickers on the a/c) & I can attest they do a fabulous job for a fair price. Here's their business contact info & they will welcome & appreciate your business in the future if you have any jobs to send out.

Wings West Governor Exchange & Overhaul, Inc.
        Pierce County Airport
        16715 Meridian E.
        Puyallup, WA. 98373
        1-(800)557-3188 / 1-(253)-848-3188

A perfect example of why we should give support to the crash victims & their families .

God Bless you all!

Don 'Bucky' Dawson
        Last edited by BuckyD; 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

When all is said and done, attendance will determine whether the air races will long continue.

I have been surprised at the number of comments (and photos to back them up) of how empty the stands were prior to the GG mishap on Friday.

Putting on the event is a major logistical feat and the expenses associated with fielding a competitive entry in any of the classes, let alone an unlimited gold racer are daunting. The advertising and sponsorship situation is unlikely to materially improve any time soon with the economy being what it is.

I look at, and applaud, the effort to ressurect Tsunami, but have to wonder if they will be able to raise sufficient funds to do so any time soon.

Like many other fans, I am disappointed to see some racers being returned to stock...though they are wonderful in stock configuration...because the owners have concluded that the aircraft is worth more in stock configuration if they need to sell it and they can still have a blast racing it in stock configuration.

For the present, it looks to be Strega and Voodoo against the Bear and the other round engines which is still quite an event.

Comment

Not uncommon for the seats to look light on Friday. But trust me, there were a lot of people there. there's just a lot more on Saturday and Sunday.

Tim

Comment

we've been watching how many people are there on Thursday and Friday for the last few years, and we feel there were more this year then in the last few years.
              Ron

Comment

FYI in ref. to the side discussion, the vintage photos of the NCAR crowds in the seats were taken on Sat. & Sunday those years. We're obviously fortunate this year's accident didn't occur on those weekend days - when attendances are greater.

DBD
                Last edited by BuckyD; 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Well said!

Comment

Working...
                  X