PDA

View Full Version : "Restless Act of Kindness" Victim Relief Fundraiser

NOVA
10-06-2011, 06:55 PM
In case you guys haven't already seen this.

http://www.thinkkindness.org/restless_kindness
http://www.livestream.com/loadedtv

I made a small donation and I figured it was the least I could do. 100% of the proceeds go directly to those in need. :thumbsup:

sandramore
10-06-2011, 07:13 PM
My lord, you guys are quick!!

I just got off the phone with Rob Jones, one of the folks running this on-line telethon. He's also the gentleman that created that wonderful memorial video.

They are trying to go round the clock until Monday. They have asked that anyone in the area come down to the Grand Sierra Resort. They're over next to the Starbucks.

It's the opportunity to talk about the sport we love, to share our memories of Jimmy and the air races in general, promote how safe the sport actually is, etc.

Rob says if we have photos and memorabilia we would like to bring down, talk about and show off to the camera, that would be great too. He'd really love to have a few of us show up at the same time.

If anyone wants to arrange a meet-up and go over together, or meet there, send me a PM or give me a call.

If you want to just stop in or blog on the site or call too, they'll get that on as well.

And of course, send this out to as many of our air race family as possible, and ask them to donate. Please repost this anywhere you think it should go.

http://www.livestream.com/loadedtv

Sandra

Tibia
10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Looks like Rob might have to dance to the Lion King...
At least a little closer to the goal.

Bob

--- and I didn't even ask for a 'dance'

sandramore
10-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks like Rob might have to dance to the Lion King...
At least a little closer to the goal.

Bob

--- and I didn't even ask for a 'dance'

I feel sorry for Stewart, trying to keep everyone entertained. lol

Come on air racers, I know some of you are here in town. We say we need to educate people about the sport. What a great opportunity. You still get to say "We're waiting for the NTSB" should you get asked anything uncomfortable.

But mostly, you get to talk about the people and the airplanes you love. Bring photos, come hang out. We get to share the passion we feel. I told Rob I'd do my best to be there this weekend, and to convince you guys to come out too.

sandramore
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
As of 2230 PDT, Stewart Campbell and ThinkKindness have raised $8500.

A long way to go to reach the goal of $1,000,000.

Viewers and donations have come in from places at diverse as Italy, Spain, France, Turkey, the UK and the US.

We can afford $25 for an AAFO hat (I'm glad I got mine! :D ) Can we afford that much to help with victims medical bills, prosthetics, and other needs? Every cent goes to the victims.

Oh, Rob wanted to know if someone could pass the fundraising info on to EAA?

sandramore
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
On the ThinkKindness board are representatives from Renown, St. Mary's and first responders among others. They will be the ones working with victims to determine how the money is used.

Ebehne
10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Getting the word out to the EAA and AOPA would be great if anyone knows how to go about it.

sandramore
10-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Getting the word out to the EAA and AOPA would be great if anyone knows how to go about it.

I've been tied up with something else. Did you make it down? How are they doing so far today?

Here's KTVN's coverage - KTVN Channel 2 - Online Fundraiser Held for Air Races Crash Victims (http://www.ktvn.com/story/15636169/online-fundraiser-held-for-air-races-crash-victims)

If anyone wants to have a listen to Jackson, the young man who was raising money with his paper airplanes, have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/tkblogs

sandramore
10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Renoites, come down to the Grand Sierra Resort between 1:00 and 3:00pm. Come talk about your love for this sport. The media will be there. Again, it's the opportunity to promote the sport, to talk about how safe the races are, and to tell people who don't know why we love it so much.

Stewart and the guys are easy to find. Look for the lights and Victor's memorial picture over by the Starbucks.

I'm supporting the event as much as I possibly can, but your voices are needed too. Please, please, take a few minutes and drop by. It doesn't matter what shift you work, since he's there 24 hours for the next 90+ hours, you should be able to steal a little time from your busy schedules to help promote air racing and raise some money. The more of us that show up the more obvious it will be that we're determined that the races continue.

Desertdawg, madman come hang out for a little while.

I'm going to be hanging out with Stewart during the wee hours from now until the end. Come have a cup of coffee with us.

sandramore
10-07-2011, 12:41 PM
If you're too far away to come (the only really acceptable excuse :eek13: ), then log on to http://www.livestream.com/loadedtv and participate in the chat from the comfort of your computer.

Again, you can tell your stories about Jimmy, share your memories of the 16th, and your love for the air races. Everything you share will be read by others, and the guys read most of the chat comments on camera.

I know, I'm being pushy, but this is important and I truly believe in my heart that this is such a great way for us to make a difference in the victims' lives and to educate people about the races.

eldon2101
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Sandra,
Thank you for all the posting. You have done a awesome job keeping us all up to date on what is going on.

sandramore
10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Sandra,
Thank you for all the posting. You have done a awesome job keeping us all up to date on what is going on.

Thanks for the kind words, Eldon.

I don't want to be the sole voice of our community. I'm not looking for the limelight. There are so many of you that were closer to Jimmy, that have more history with the races, especially recently.

Jimmy, Levitz and so many others were there for my mother and I when my father passed away. I'm repaying a debt. It was important to me when I was in my teens that Jimmy and the others be proud of me. That's still important.

If you want to call in, here's Stewart Campbell's number: 775-376-3784. Or, log in and chat. http://www.livestream.com/loadedtv

Gene McNeely phoned in and spoke to Stewart as did Dennis Buehn. Hugs out to them and please call anyone else that you think might be willing to talk to Stewart. He's not going to ask you anything you'd be uncomfortable answering. No speculation needed.

Thanks, everyone.

Ebehne
10-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm trying to get down to the grand sierra around 7pm. Hopefully I'll inspire Stewart to stay awake a bit longer...or at least give him something to talk about :)

sandramore
10-07-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm trying to get down to the grand sierra around 7pm. Hopefully I'll inspire Stewart to stay awake a bit longer...or at least give him something to talk about :)

Wonderful, I look forward to seeing you!!

Remember everyone, this is money that will go to help our friends like Larry. Isn't that reason enough to call, come down or chat?

sandramore
10-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Eric, (Ebehne) thanks to much for coming down yesterday and talking to Stewart. It was great meeting and visiting with you.

I'm glad your girlfriend is healing. Hopefully, you'll get to take her home on Monday.

I know you said you were going to try to get back down to visit some more. I hope you get the chance, Stewart really enjoyed talking to you.

With much gratitude and affection,
Sandra
sandramore@levelpitch.org.

sandramore
10-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Perfect, Eric's going to come back down.

Here's Stewart's number again. 775.376.3784. This message is for ALL of the AAFO community. Call Stewart. He's not going to ask any uncomfortable questions. The things we talk about here in public is all he wants. Let's educate the public, let's show them that we ARE a close knit community. Talk about your passion. That's all I'm asking.

He really needs people from noon Monday until Tuesday. I'm going to ask, cajole, beg, grumble. Without the pilots,crews and aircraft, we wouldn't have airraces. Without spectators and fans we wouldn't have air races. So please, guys and gals, help out.

Again, and I know I'm repeating myself, if we're not obviously participating, our conspicuous absence will be noticed. The more participation we have, the stronger the argument we can make that the races should continue, and the more people will be behind us in ensuring that happens. Remember, this will be a political decision, as well as a safety issue.

If every AAFO member that loves these races, called Stewart and shared one air race memory, we could keep him on the phone talking air racing until he's done on Tuesday. Please don't let the silence of the air racing community be deafening. :bullhorn:

sandramore
10-08-2011, 11:28 PM
In case you don't know, Eric is our Ebehne. He's here, now, talking to Stewart. His girlfriend was seriously injured and is still hospitalized. Standing right next to her, he walked away without a (physical) scratch. Thankfully, she's healing.

I'm glad, we could have lost them both. Thank God we didn't.

Many hugs, Eric.

:hug:

AAFO_WSagar
10-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Sandra... Where do you get your energy!

Are you in your 20's or just feel like you are?...:D

I've got some good shots of Jimmy in he Ghost air to air from last year.. very few really good.. one or two but some great static shots...

Asked this earlier.. would that be in bad taste? For some reason, it's not at all hard for me to look at Jimmy in pictures, where in the past, when I've lost a friend, it took me quite a while...

It's his damn smile I think.. you could always tell he was doing what he wanted to be doing at any given moment..

Anyway... shoot me an opinion...

I'd call Stewart tonight but already took a sleepie pill and need to get some sleep... road trip tomorrow...

Thanks for what you're doing for the sport and the injured fans, you have a good heart, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

sandramore
10-08-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm 51 and trust me, I feel like it. lol

I don't think pictures of Jimmy and the Ghost are in bad taste. I know what you mean about his smile. I still can't get my head around never seeing it again.

And part of this, as I said earlier, is because I know he'd want us doing this, and him being proud of me has been important since I was in my teens. I hope when all is said and done, you and AAFO will be too. I'm doing my best to represent us well.

That, and if I stay busy, I don't have to think too much.

Thank you for calling Stewart. The fact that you did might encourage other AAFOers to (that's a hint!). He would really like more calls tomorrow through Tuesday, which is our last push, the last 24 hours.

Sandra... Where do you get your energy!

Are you in your 20's or just feel like you are?...:D

I've got some good shots of Jimmy in he Ghost air to air from last year.. very few really good.. one or two but some great static shots...

Asked this earlier.. would that be in bad taste? For some reason, it's not at all hard for me to look at Jimmy in pictures, where in the past, when I've lost a friend, it took me quite a while...

It's his damn smile I think.. you could always tell he was doing what he wanted to be doing at any given moment..

Anyway... shoot me an opinion...

I'd call Stewart tonight but already took a sleepie pill and need to get some sleep... road trip tomorrow...

Thanks for what you're doing for the sport and the injured fans, you have a good heart, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

sandramore
10-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Just before 8:00am, I'm just getting home to grab a nap and a shower. Stewart is hanging in there, with about 54 hours to go. So that's about 12 hours with Stewart last night.

I'll be back down there to spend another 12+ hours with him tonight, and Monday to Tuesday, I'll be there from 7:00pm-sh Monday until Stewart wraps up at noon on Tuesday.

Call and visit with Stewart at any point between now and Tuesday. If you can come down, that would be great, he'd love to meet all of you. Remember, if you call him, let him know you're an AAFOer. I've showed him around the forum.

Here's the number again: 775.376.3784

Okay, I'm off for a quick nap. :)

sandramore
10-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I know you've been trying to phone Stewart, and may not have been getting an answer. If he's in the middle of an interview, he won't answer the phone. He apologizes and asks that you bear with him and keep trying. :worship:

Here's his number again 775.376.3784

And here's mine. I'll be back there at about 8:00pm-ish Reno time.

Thanks for trying everyone, please keep up the good work. Our presence is starting to be commented on, and that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

Btw, I learned that they checked with Mike Houghton to get RARA's blessing. They were told that it couldn't be RARA's fundraiser, due to the legal aspects, but they have RARA's blessing.

sandramore
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
We are still here. It's 7:30 Reno time. Does anyone have Victor Archer's phone number? We need to ask him a technical question.

Here's my number again: 775.338.7082

sandramore
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
As I posted in the other thread, Stewart's body finally insisted on a 5 hour nap after 87 hours without sleep. However, we're now plugging on until tomorrow at noon, which was the original stop date for the live event.

After that, people can still make donations at www.ThinkKindness.org, and we'll make the photographs available in exchange for donations, based on the size of the print they want.

Once that goes "live", I'll post the info.

Thanks so much everyone.

sandramore
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
KTVN Channel 2, Reno - No-Sleep Fundraiser for Air Race Victims Continues (http://www.ktvn.com/story/15659280/no-sleep-fundraiser-for-air-race-victims-continues)

sandramore
10-11-2011, 09:44 AM
We are wrapping up here at the Grand Sierra Resort. But that only means that the live broadcast is ending. You can continue to make donations (hint, hint) at www.ThinkKindness.org

We'll have the gallery of photos up soon, at www.loadedtv.com
with info on the sizes and prices of the available prints.

At the moment we have a gorgeous matted, framed print of Ghost that's up for auction. We're hoping it will bring in a minimum of $200.

Galloping Ghost (https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=2469873955748&set=a.2091544737754.2124595.1519326133&type=1&theater)

Our Ebehne took the photo and did a great job of having it matted and framed. The picture itself is 24x36, and with silver matte and frame it's 27x40. The silver matte and black frame really set off the beautiful shine of Ghost's fuselage.

If you're interested in it, either use Facebook's comment to post a bid, or send me a PM.

Victor Archer
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Sandra, There's some prints waiting for you at Costco :thumbsup:

AAFO_WSagar
10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Sandra, working on having some there for you from me as well... Don't know how long they take to process but I don't think it's too long..

AAFO_WSagar
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Sandra, prints waiting for you after 3:10 today Reno store.. did not realize there was also a Sparks Costco!

Could not figure out how to pay for them in advance so... I'll have to remburse you the $$ somehow...... (about $18.00)

sandramore
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Sandra, prints waiting for you after 3:10 today Reno store.. did not realize there was also a Sparks Costco!

Could not figure out how to pay for them in advance so... I'll have to remburse you the $$ somehow...... (about $18.00)

Don't worry about that Wayne, that cost is being taken care of. Another donor has volunteered to pick up our printing costs. :)

They usually can print them the same day. Stewart will go and pick them up tomorrow afternoon. Thank you both.

AAFO_WSagar
10-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Don't worry about that Wayne, that cost is being taken care of. Another donor has volunteered to pick up our printing costs. :)

They usually can print them the same day. Stewart will go and pick them up tomorrow afternoon. Thank you both.WoW... I didn't expect that! I put up two shots, 5 each at 8x10 size.

I have a very limited amount of files with me on a portable hard drive, but I'd be happy to provide more later if you would like.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

note: prints do not have copyright notice on front of image (there is one on the back)

sandramore
10-11-2011, 03:00 PM
WoW... I didn't expect that! I put up two shots, 5 each at 8x10 size.

I have a very limited amount of files with me on a portable hard drive, but I'd be happy to provide more later if you would like.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

note: prints do not have copyright notice on front of image (there is one on the back)

Well if you're surprised at that, listen to this. We are going to be part of the Governor's Nevada Day Dinner at the end of this month. It will be held at the Grand Sierra Resort. We get to exhibit a large selection of matted, framed prints, and auctioning them off at the end of the evening.

The Governor's office has also offered to split the proceeds of the dinner ticket sales, 50% going to the fund set up for the IHOP shooting victims and the other 50% going to the air race victims fund.

They have asked us to come up with other items that can be auctioned, that would be appropriate for this setting. Jim (vodkaandtonic) now we really do need that wine, and we have time for you to get it to us.

Rob Jones says that Sherman Smoot also does wine? Could someone get hold of him and ask if he'd be willing to help us with this? And if anyone has any ideas of what else we can include, please, please feel free to make suggestions. The more of your help I can get, the more of a success this will be.

Photographers among us, we won't be asking for files, but rather that you send prints to Costco for us to pick up. Stewart Campbell and I will start selecting prints from those you've donated already and I'll be getting hold of you to ask permission for those particular photos. If you have others that you think would really wow the guests, please get hold of me.

Thanks again everyone. I love you all to bits for assisting with all of this.

av8rnid
10-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I must have one of the air to air GG shots Wayne listed earlier. I will be keeping tabs on the auction in order to add to the display.

sandramore
10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I must have one of the air to air GG shots Wayne listed earlier. I will be keeping tabs on the auction in order to add to the display.

Thanks for the support. :)

By the way, I want to make sure I thank NAG for their donation and support. Thanks for the phone call, Betty, it made our night last night.

sandramore
10-12-2011, 03:59 PM
This will probably be my last post to this thread.

I want to thank everyone that helped so much with the live event, including all the terrific photographers, everyone that made a donation, and those of you who hung out online with us in the wee hours. :)

But we're not finished. While Stewart, Anthony and I are taking today off to rest up, tomorrow we'll be plunging in to start working on the Governor's Nevada Day dinner. I'll start a new thread and be posting information about that tomorrow, once I have details.

Thanks to everyone that has sent me additional fundraising ideas. We'll certainly take all of the suggestions seriously and see if we can't make them happen.

We're going to be at this for the long term. We didn't make the $1 million we'd hoped to through the live telethon, but that just means we now can concentrate on meeting and exceeding that figure in the coming months.

I can't begin to tell you how much fun it's been to work with Stewart Campbell, or how honoured I am to be able to represent our air race family. As I've told a couple of you, I'll be working hard to make you and Jimmy proud.

Sandra

sandramore
10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Latest dollar figure from this first fundraiser - $18,300, with more still coming in. Thanks so much everyone. :thumbsup: