Coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coincidence?

This was too creepy not to post. I'm liquidating a model aeronautics hobby that spanned 2.5 generations and 40 years and open a box from the early 70's. I find the following single channel controller.
    Attached Files

Re: Coincidence?

I hope it's not somehow insensitive or totally irrelevant. I don't attribute any meaning to it really, just had to share it.

Comment

Don't worry about it. We're all still sifting through our respective feelings and I expect we can all appreciate the coincidence.

$
      "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
      Martin Caidin

Comment

My dad's first two R/C planes were galloping ghost. We lost the second one, a Little Esquire with it's brand new Fox .07 and new Rand LR3 accuator in a thermal in the deserts north of Scottsdale.

I still have a single channel accuator in my junk box somewhere. Early generation guided missles used a variation of the system (called a "bang bang" accuator by some) because it was very simple.

I sometimes think a lot of R/Cers have no idea how luck they have it these days!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Wow, you're dating yourself! Am I such a newb that galloping ghosts were common back then? Oh, well.

Yeah, I was told today that a 72 MHz PCM radio with a touch screen was junk!

Comment

Originally posted by DA9D5TA View Post
            Wow, you're dating yourself! Am I such a newb that galloping ghosts were common back then? Oh, well.

I am a dinosaur!

I have the problem that I have a large amount of what would be called "pro grade" R/C from 16 year ago that I still love. I think my JR PCM 9 and Unlimited 8 transmiters are the best feeling transmiters ever made! But I am afraid to fly anything that matters with them, not because I don't trust the radios but because no one monitors frequencies anymore. All it would take is one person to be nearby with their old gear to make me very sad, so now I am in the process of basically rebuying everything.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Heh-heh. All my past RC flying was done with pre-digital transmitters:

I prefer those type, from back in the days (1970s/80s) when transmitter manufacturers weren't trying to make them look like cockpit panels from the Space Shuttle...

Think of the older transmitters as seat-of-the-pants "Stick and rudder" flying for the RC crowd ...
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

My first proportional radio was a PCS (basically a Kraft knock off) and then I had the first 4 channel Proline system ever sold (the founder Jim Fosgate worked with my dad at Motorola and my dad helped design the receiver as I remember).

I miss linear servos.....

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I hope it's not somehow insensitive or totally irrelevant. I don't attribute any meaning to it really, just had to share it.
                  I think it's just one of those things that pop up. File under "Twilight Zone"

Comment

Originally posted by Acorn View Post
                    I think it's just one of those things that pop up. File under "Twilight Zone"
                    Wait! You don't mean....?

(Checking the web...)

Well, I'll be...I guess I never noticed that object at the top-left before in the opening credits...

P.S...click on the image...................
                    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-29-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I sometimes think a lot of R/Cers have no idea how luck they have it these days!
                      No greater truth.

I've been flying models for 46 years. Was in the industry for 24 years. This is the "golden age" for modelers right now.

2.4, lipo's and brushless motors. Giddy-up!
                      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                        Wait! Do you mean....?

(Checking the web...)

Well, I'll be...I guess I never noticed that object at the top-left before in the opening credits...

P.S...click on the image...................
                        So here is the question, who else here knows how that system worked? :-)

Having grown up with one it will be fun to see if anyone else here can explain it!

Spacegrrrrl
                        Last edited by spacegrrrl; 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

AirDOGGe, I laughed so hard I cried!

Comment

Wondeful. It always makes me smile to hear that...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-30-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              Wondeful. It always makes me smile to hear that...
                              lol, I needed that.
                              sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                              http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Working...
                              X