Check out these stats for Dago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out these stats for Dago

The one that really caught my attention is the rate of climb they have listed. Could that be for real?

Re: Check out these stats for Dago

Anyone can write anything in a Wiki entry.

The current time to climb record is held by the Rare Bear.

In February of 1972 the airplane challenged and broke the long standing Time-to-Climb record by ascending 3,000 meters in a mere 91.9 seconds
    If that is the officially recorded RECORD, I would say the stat is wrong on the Dago entry, as is much of the other information on there....

Comment

Stats brought to you by the same people who also put out that Frank Taylor had bought a second P-51 and named it Cherry Bomb.

Yeah, whatever guys...get a life.

Comment

I thought it sounded a bit high...

Comment

...I almost hauled out the TF-51 graphic to show my favorite unbelievable stat about Dago.

But, I resisted.

Comment

Rate of climb and time to climb from a standing start are 2 different things. Dago was probably capable of a rate of climb in that neighborhood, but wouldn't come close to the record from a standing start.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
              Rate of climb and time to climb from a standing start are 2 different things. Dago was probably capable of a rate of climb in that neighborhood, but wouldn't come close to the record from a standing start.
              I agree. Rate of climb has never been one of the P-51's best performance catagories. It's laminar flow wing doesn't provide a lot of lift, which plays a big part in climb rate. The Bearcat has a much higher lift wing which makes it better climber....all that massive HP on the nose doesn't hurt either...

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post

Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                  I agree. Rate of climb has never been one of the P-51's best performance catagories. It's laminar flow wing doesn't provide a lot of lift, which plays a big part in climb rate. The Bearcat has a much higher lift wing which makes it better climber....all that massive HP on the nose doesn't hurt either...
                  Except that rate of climb is almost purely a function of excess power not excess lift. It's easy to get the two confused.
                  Red
                  chanting...400+

Comment

What exactly do you mean by excess power? Not sure if there's such a thing? The only thing better than one corncob is two corncobs?

I always thought climb rate was a function of the thrust/weight ratio. The higher that number the faster you can climb?

Comment

You are right you can never have too much! Thrust/weight ratio is the same thing as excess power. The more power you have the faster you will climb. Airfoil has little to do with it.
                      Red
                      chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
                        You are right you can never have too much! Thrust/weight ratio is the same thing as excess power. The more power you have the faster you will climb. Airfoil has little to do with it.
                        Ha! Kind of like too much runway in front of you, too much air underneath you, or too many people riding along with you (paying for your gas).. No such thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                          ...I almost hauled out the TF-51 graphic to show my favorite unbelievable stat about Dago.

But, I resisted.
                          lol

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by NOVA View Post
                            Ha! Kind of like too much runway in front of you, too much air underneath you, or too many people riding along with you (paying for your gas).. No such thing!
                            Yep If only we all had those kind of problems.

Comment

Working...
                            X