Bravo Jackson and Cudahy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bravo Jackson and Cudahy

Bravo to Matt Jackson and John Cudahy on their comments about safety at the air races. It's in an LA Times article I found in today's Indy Transponder.

As we all recover and process this event, our vision gets more and more clear with regard to what actually happened. However that does NOT diminish our profound sadness for those who died and were injured. Please continue to support the various victim's funds, fellows pilots, and fans.

Jeff

Re: Bravo Jackson and Cudahy

Jeff, can we have a link to that article? If you'd post it under the Updates thread, I'd really appreciate it.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Please tell me you aren't refering to the article on the 26th?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Here's the direct link (shortened) http://lat.ms/p7zFIl

I would also invite you to check out http://indytransponder.blogspot.com/ You can sign up for the daily RSS feed. It's a great source for air show and other aviation news.

Jeff

Comment

From the LA Times link:

The potential for trouble was so high that the National Transportation Safety Board sent investigators to the National Air Racing Championships just in case something went wrong.

So, according to this LA Times reporter, the NTSB knew this was going to happen?

WTF?

I hate the media.

Don Hatten
          Go Bear!

Comment

The Indy Transponder site looks awesome, thanks for pointing us at that!

I was not at all happy with the majority of what Matt was quoted as having said. I continue to hope he is being largely taken out of context and his comments have been "cherry picked" to be more sensational.

I wished he had just talked about safety and the history of the event, the huge efforts made by everyone involved to keep the event as safe as possible and how well that has worked so far! How it really should continue, he doesn't. If he had stuck to the real things we should messaging to the public he'd be back on my hero list. Instead he dumps it all on Jimmy and adds some pointless comment about the difficulty flying airplanes with "clipped wings and shorter ailerons".

If he really did feel the need to comment on the cause he could have just said..

"at this point it looks like turbulence started a chain of events that led to the plane going out of control and then added he is talking to the NTSB and looks forward to their final report to see if anything can be learned to make this event EVEN SAFER next year."

and left it at that. This is the kind of comment I would want from someone in his postion, not his personal unsupported speculations offered as fact that will just be taken out of context to continue to feed the jackels.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Spacegrrrl, I agree with the grrrr in your name. My sentiments exactly. And as I said about this quote in the updates thread, there's always NTSB and FAA folks on hand, "just in case."
              sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
              http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                The Indy Transponder site looks awesome, thanks for pointing us at that!

I was not at all happy with the majority of what Matt was quoted as having said. I continue to hope he is being largely taken out of context and his comments have been "cherry picked" to be more sensational.

I wished he had just talked about safety and the history of the event, the huge efforts made by everyone involved to keep the event as safe as possible and how well that has worked so far! How it really should continue, he doesn't. If he had stuck to the real things we should messaging to the public he'd be back on my hero list. Instead he dumps it all on Jimmy and adds some pointless comment about the difficulty flying airplanes with "clipped wings and shorter ailerons".

If he really did feel the need to comment on the cause he could have just said..

"at this point it looks like turbulence started a chain of events that led to the plane going out of control and then added he is talking to the NTSB and looks forward to their final report to see if anything can be learned to make this event EVEN SAFER next year."

and left it at that. This is the kind of comment I would want from someone in his postion, not his personal unsupported speculations offered as fact that will just be taken out of context to continue to feed the jackels.

Spacegrrrl
                Papers sell by sensationalizing simple statements. A Tv news sells tragedy not good news. Your error is to assume that I make unsupported speculations. I am like Jack Webb on Dragnet where his line was Just the facts Ma'am just the facts. Candy coating comments and stating mistruths only fuels your "jackals". My goal is to 1) Identify the problems that caused this tragedy 2) Provide a rational plan to implement a reasonable plan of action to remedy any identifiable problems. 3) Convince FAA that we can race without involving the crowd again. My job for the last three years as pilot briefer is to help my fellow pilots stay alive out there. I take this accident real personally. I lost my friend Jimmy. I was voted into my position by fellow pilots that trusted in my ability to help support the unlimited division. That's my job as VP of the Unlimited division. My job is not to provide explanation to this site for the gratification of a few misinformed readers. Although I try sometimes to keep people on the right track, where I can. I thought this group appreciated my view based on my 48 years of involvement in air racing with 25 years in the cockpit. I don't like unsupported speculation as well. In my case there is none!!!

Comment

Hmm, Matt, response in the private section....

I am sure it will cause some controversy,

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                    Hmm, Matt, response in the private section....

I am sure it will cause some controversy,

Spacegrrrl
                    I'm pretty sure Matt does not know the difference between the "private section" and what's generally viewable by public. I placed his username in that "usergroup" when I moved his original post... IOW... he didn't request to be there, so is probably unaware that it is not viewable by all.
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

To those who have posted.. i think its a bit unfair to attack Matt like that, he gave an opinion, and from memory he has a unique point of reference as he has raced a super stang similar to the ghost in stilleto, she had the same wing clip as the ghost, so he would know how such a clip handled on the course.

And Matt is right, the media sensationalizes everything to make it more dramatic to sell.
                      Im sure there are armchair pilots, engineers and racers out there who are so far unreported who are saying more out there theories who cant back them up with the experience Matt has.
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                        To those who have posted.. i think its a bit unfair to attack Matt like that, he gave an opinion, and from memory he has a unique point of reference as he has raced a super stang similar to the ghost in stilleto, she had the same wing clip as the ghost, so he would know how such a clip handled on the course.

And Matt is right, the media sensationalizes everything to make it more dramatic to sell.
                        Im sure there are armchair pilots, engineers and racers out there who are so far unreported who are saying more out there theories who cant back them up with the experience Matt has.
                        Yup the media is evil and as most of Matt's peers have chosen to do you can always say "I have no comment at this time".

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          I'm pretty sure Matt does not know the difference between the "private section" and what's generally viewable by public. I placed his username in that "usergroup" when I moved his original post... IOW... he didn't request to be there, so is probably unaware that it is not viewable by all.
                          Maybe he'll never see my response and I won't have to fear for my life in the pits next year.....

Spacegrrrrl

Comment

Joking or not,why would you fear for your life? Regardless of what Matt says,do not be afraid to express YOUR opinion.If he doesn't like it,too bad.

Mr Jackson seems to think we are a bunch of misinformed readers.See exact quote below.

There are a bunch of folks here that have been around air racing alot longer then Matt Jackson.Not attacking him in anyway.I have been around for a while.I guess that means he thinks we're a bunch of idiots too?For me personally, he is not high on my list of respected individuals.He slips further down the list everytime I read something new he is "quoted" as saying in the press.

"My job is not to provide explanation to this site for the gratification of a few misinformed readers."

I don't understand why he saying anything at all."

Closed mouth gathers no foot."

NTSB is going to find what they find.They'll make their report,it WILL be released.It makes no difference what he or anyone else says.It's just the way it is.

Brian

"Live Free or Die"

Comment

Originally posted by BKB View Post
                              Joking or not,why would you fear for your life? Regardless of what Matt says,do not be afraid to express YOUR opinion.If he doesn't like it,too bad.

Mr Jackson seems to think we are a bunch of misinformed readers.See exact quote below.

There are a bunch of folks here that have been around air racing alot longer then Matt Jackson.Not attacking him in anyway.I have been around for a while.I guess that means he thinks we're a bunch of idiots too?For me personally, he is not high on my list of respected individuals.He slips further down the list everytime I read something new he is "quoted" as saying in the press.

"My job is not to provide explanation to this site for the gratification of a few misinformed readers."

I don't understand why he saying anything at all."

Closed mouth gathers no foot."

NTSB is going to find what they find.They'll make their report,it WILL be released.It makes no difference what he or anyone else says.It's just the way it is.

Brian

"Live Free or Die"
                              Not so much "fear for my life" but I don't expect I would have made him very happy. After a number of folks commenting to me directly in support I have added back the original response with some spoiler space to the reply made in the "brave section". You can now see the "measured view" with the key points and what I really feel as well.

By the way, Matt has offered another theory that has been circulated. It was aft CG! The Bad CG on the GG for number three award goes out to his Jacksoness! Keep them coming! I am betting he will be citing demonic possession next! It is Halloween season after all!

Spacegrrrl
                              Last edited by spacegrrrl; 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X