X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they now? Oldies

Thought I'd throw a few in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sandramore; 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Re: Where are they now? Oldies

Well, let's see....E.D. Weiner's N335J is now restored as "Lady B" in Delaware.

The two Bearcat photos are of Bud Fountain's plane in 1969. That was in the fatal crash at Mojave in 1973 as #24 "Hawke Dusters".

The picture of 'the twins' is great...as I have been trying to explain to people for two years now that NO, the plane on display in the hangar down by the Sport Class is NOT the same plane that Tony modified with the Allison engine, clipped wings, and canopy as Race 15...and there is your proof right there. The one on the left is now flying as "Shangri-La" with Jeff Clyman (I think), and the one on the right is the one based at Stead, still owned by the D'Allasandris family.

Roto Finish obviously became the "Red Baron" and was destroyed in 1979, and #20 was John Wright's "Phillipine Mustang" which was destroyed in a fatal crash in Elko, NV in 1982 a week before the races.

Great stuff there!

Comment

I didn't realize the bearcat was #24. I have another photo of it taken the year before it crashed at Mojave. That was so hard on Bud's wife.

Also didn't know that the Philipine Mustang was gone. Somewhere I have photos of it with the tip tanks.

And while she was pretty as RotoFinish, I much prefered the last Red Baron paint job.

Comment

Sandra, in your first photo (Mustang #49) do you know what the plane with the 5-blade prop is behind it?
        Tom

Comment

Cant see the number, but its a SeaFury with the Bristol Centarus engine.

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post
            Sandra, in your first photo (Mustang #49) do you know what the plane with the 5-blade prop is behind it?
            Tom
            The photo was taken in 1972. That is Lloyd Hamilton's "Baby Gorilla" in the dark green and yellow paint scheme...before the RAN seafoam green job was put on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              The photo was taken in 1972. That is Lloyd Hamilton's "Baby Gorilla" in the dark green and yellow paint scheme...before the RAN seafoam green job was put on it.
              Yeah, what Brad said. lol

Oh, and madman put pictures of "Precious Metal" up. (The pretender to the throne, not the original.) Would you put up a couple of pictures of the original?
              Last edited by sandramore; 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                Oh, and madman put pictures of "Precious Metal" up. (The pretender to the throne, not the original.) Would you put up a couple of pictures of the original?
                Oh please do... I'd like to see her too.

--md

Comment

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Try these....1977, 1976, and 1975 respectively. Courtesy of my buddy Bill Larkins.
                  Last edited by Big_Jim; 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Ok, I'll play..whatever happened to the H-model P51's that the Whittingtons owned as well as Mike Coutches ship? Used to see Mike's at various air shows a long time ago, but haven't seen it in ages.

Great thread.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                      Ok, I'll play..whatever happened to the H-model P51's that the Whittingtons owned as well as Mike Coutches ship? Used to see Mike's at various air shows a long time ago, but haven't seen it in ages.

Great thread.
                      I believe that N49WB is still owned and flown by Bill...last time I heard of it was a couple years ago in New Mexico. Had the four blade prop back on it.

And Mike still owns his.

Comment

Oh, that's my girl. Love that '76 look.

Comment

With all due respect to Big Jim, I believe the MkII Sea Fury in the background is Race 0, note the roundel on the fuse, where as Race 16 had a yellow stripe. If it is Race 0 the photo could be from 1971 or 72.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by AERRACE View Post
                            With all due respect to Big Jim, I believe the MkII Sea Fury in the background is Race 0, note the roundel on the fuse, where as Race 16 had a yellow stripe. If it is Race 0 the photo could be from 1971 or 72.

Frank
                            Wow...you are exactly right. Did not see the great big roundel on the fuselage...OR the wingtip by the tail of the Mustang. So much for the eyesight.

Still would be 1972, however.

Three Sea Furies present that year...Hamilton and OH-B racing, and Frank Sanders in N232J doing aerobatics.

Comment

Boy there are some good memories on this forum. lol

Here's a few more.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X