Tsunami vs Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami vs Mustang

The other day I was chatting with an aero engineer, and I happened to mention Tsunami. He opined that it was a valiant attempt, but would have been better had it been substantially smaller than a Mustang.

Of course, Tsunami was substantially smaller than the Mustang. It was specifically designed as the smallest reasonable package to enclose and carry a Merlin, and I remain convinced that that is the case.

To help demonstrate that point, I put together this infographic that compares Tsunami with the Mustang, and with the RV-8 that most homebuilders are familiar with:

Re: Tsunami vs Mustang

Tsunami could have been substantially smaller if the fuel was housed in the wings instead of the fuselage. Of course the wing should then have been different in shape then etc..Tsunami was 70% frontal area of the Mustang.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is the 100% scale carbon Mustang being built in California. Claims are that it will weigh 5,300 lbs and have a Merlin engine.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
        Tsunami could have been substantially smaller if the fuel was housed in the wings instead of the fuselage. Of course the wing should then have been different in shape then etc..Tsunami was 70% frontal area of the Mustang.
        The fuel was in the wings. I saw the PRC and liquid sealant applied.
        There were tanks in the fus above the wing. Oil tank, ADI and Spraybar IIRC.

Comment

Working...
        X