Pit Pics for those that could not attend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Pics for those that could not attend

First off....sorry about the picture quality...these were taken on my Smart Phone...

From Left to right:
    1st row: Barry in our Pit Taxi, The Galloping Ghost... A Doomed Ship, The Rare Bear was right across the row from the Ghost, Next couple are "wrenching on the Bear".

3rd row: Valve adjustments in progress, Now this next couple are very interesting...Pete Law, is discussing fuel mixture, ADI injection jetting, maniflod pressures at different temperature and densities....Clearly, the "old Master" of ADI injection is schooling the Bear's crew, talking about 20% changes in jet sizing to achieve the burn they wanted at the manifold pressures they could use.......Awesome .....Just witnessing this discussion between this master of old school and the mechanical staff....Awesome!!! And they certainly appear to be listening intently...Check out the old binders that Pete is showing them....lots of entries in there were in pencil and probably 50 years old....I tell you that all the knowledge of the Warbird engine power secrets are contained within those books...again..Awesome....

I think that Pete's nametag was ...."Tell me your name..I'm too old too remember you"..

More to follow soon...
    Attached Files

Re: Pit Pics for those that could not attend

some more....

1st row: Changing the Bear's sparkplugs,... the Bear's Camp,...September Fury yanking Jug...,
    2nd row: If you got two of them.....why not paint one of them silver!, this is the engine that later developed a oil leak.

Note: I swear Rod Lewis, ... looks exactly like a younger Bill Gates....

More to follow soon...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BUD_XXX; 09-23-2011, 01:04 PM. Reason: add statement.

Comment

And yet more...

1st row: September Fury's scored piston and jug,...Towing the Bear out for a flight..., Precious Metal...can anybody tell me why there is a four inch pipe clamped to the engine frame...anybody???...I could not figure that one....
      3rd row: Ejection Seat Annie...it's for sale....he wanted like 500 or 800 bucks,...I told him if he threw the "tow bar" I would think about it....
      Attached Files

Comment

And even more..

We met this gal who said she and her husband were Pylon Judges for the last 31 years....WOW.

Cindy, her name was.... gave permission to post this drawing of the Hoovermatic! Thanx, Cindy... and she gave us some Pylon Judge hats that were "slightly" used...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
          And yet more...

Precious Metal...can anybody tell me why there is a four inch pipe clamped to the engine frame...anybody???...I could not figure that one....
          It was a solid steel (maybe lead?) bar for ballast.

Comment

Budd,
            Thankyou for posting those pics! Good to see the pulse of air racing again!

Comment

Regarding the cylinder that is attached to the engine frame of Precious Metal it's a weight. We talked to the ground crew and they said they were trying to get the Center of Gravity right. If I remember right it weighs about 60 to 100 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by airtj View Post
                Regarding the cylinder that is attached to the engine frame of Precious Metal it's a weight. We talked to the ground crew and they said they were trying to get the Center of Gravity right. If I remember right it weighs about 60 to 100 lbs.

I think it was more along the lines of 150 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by airtj View Post
                  IIRC, MAII had a similar setup in an attempt to get the CG correct. Must be a Griffon thing? Wayne?

SA

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
                    And even more..

We met this gal who said she and her husband were Pylon Judges for the last 31 years....WOW.

Cindy, her name was.... gave permission to post this drawing of the Hoovermatic! Thanx, Cindy... and she gave us some Pylon Judge hats that were "slightly" used...
                    Let me know if it sells. I could try another issue of "Rare Air".

$
                    "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                    Martin Caidin

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I'm a "glass half full" type of person.

See you there next year.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for sharing the great pix!

I had been wondering if Precious Metal was doing anything. Sooner or later they are going to get bitten by the propeller bug. I can hardly wait to see some sort of 5 blade scimitar rig. The problem may be getting one for the contra-rotating blades though. Those big, bad Griffon engines are interesting to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                        X