X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody has our back...

Congressman Says Additional Air Show Regulations Not Needed

Congressman Sam Graves (R-MO): "Air Shows Are Among The Safest" Events

By any estimation, it has been a difficult summer in the air show business. But U.S. Congressman Sam Graves (R-MO), Co-Chair of the House Aviation Caucus, has come out strongly against any new regulations for air shows in the wake of recent tragedies in Selfridge, MI, Reno, NV, and Martinsburg, WV. He issued a statement Thursday responding to calls to examine whether more regulations are needed for air shows.

“Within the past month, the aviation community has seen several accidents that have led to the deaths of veteran pilots and spectators. Every loss of life is a tragedy, and we grieve for those who have lost their lives or have been injured,' Graves said. "However, just as surely as night follows day, there will be claims that more regulations are needed for air shows. Simply put, they are not.

"As a licensed pilot and aviation enthusiast who flies vintage aircraft in air shows, I can tell you that every pilot knows the risks every time they slide into a cockpit. Flying a vintage airplane, or any airplane, comes with the same risks as simply driving to work. In fact, air shows, which are different than air races, are among the safest of any event you can attend. There hasn’t been a spectator fatality at an air show in more than 60 years.

"We all support common sense regulations. However, I urge my colleagues to avoid the typical knee-jerk, federal government stampede to regulate general aviation simply because they are in the news this week.”

Re: Somebody has our back...

I recommend email thanking the Congressman.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

That's the most sense I've seen come out of congress in a long time..

I agree Sandra, he should be thanked.. Any idea of how we can send our appreciation to Mr. Graves?

Comment

Originally posted by NOVA View Post
        That's the most sense I've seen come out of congress in a long time..

I agree Sandra, he should be thanked.. Any idea of how we can send our appreciation to Mr. Graves?
        Ask and ye shall receive.

Congressman Sam Graves
        1415 Longworth House Office Building
        Washington, D.C. 20515
        Phone: (202) 225-7041

Email for the Congressman

Comment

I disagree completely. How are you missing this?

As a licensed pilot and aviation enthusiast who flies vintage aircraft in air shows, I can tell you that every pilot knows the risks every time they slide into a cockpit. Flying a vintage airplane, or any airplane, comes with the same risks as simply driving to work. In fact, air shows, which are different than air races, are among the safest of any event you can attend. There hasn’t been a spectator fatality at an air show in more than 60 years.
          Clearly saying that Air Racing is not what he is talking about

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post

Yes, but most folks really don't know the difference. To them, Reno is an "air show." We're the ones that generally say, "Bite your tongue!" when people call Reno an airshow. I don't think it can hurt us to thank him for standing up against that knee-jerk reaction, while telling him that we know he knows how safe air races are.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

Hmm yeah, excellent point.. Well he didn't say anything 'negative' about air racing specifically, so I guess his statement is net neutral (to us anyways) until any clarification is made about his views on racing.

Comment

Originally posted by NOVA View Post
                Hmm yeah, excellent point.. Well he didn't say anything 'negative' about air racing specifically, so I guess his statement is net neutral (to us anyways) until any clarification is made about his views on racing.
                So, let's ask him. I think I'll go write him a letter. I'll post here for opinions before sending it.

Comment

Flyingjibus,

I read the same thing and winced. But after thinking about it, I'm inclined to send the congressman a thank you note with a gentle nudge that air racing needs his unequivocal support just as much as air shows. Remind him that Reno is one of a kind and that virtually everyone associated with it has strong ties to GA.

Anywhere we see an opening I think we need to stick our foot in the door. Respectfully, but nonetheless in.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
                    Flyingjibus,

I read the same thing and winced. But after thinking about it, I'm inclined to send the congressman a thank you note with a gentle nudge that air racing needs his unequivocal support just as much as air shows. Remind him that Reno is one of a kind and that virtually everyone associated with it has strong ties to GA.

Anywhere we see an opening I think we need to stick our foot in the door. Respectfully, but nonetheless in.

James
                    My thoughts as well, James. I've ad-libbed and sent him a letter. I'll let everyone know if(Y I hear back. (Yes, I realize it's a long-shot.)
                    Last edited by sandramore; 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM. Reason: Just changed my mind, what little I have left.

Comment

FWIW. I believe the published title of the event is 'Air Race and Air Show".

Comment

Out and about for a bit. Will take a closer look when I get home but it already looks pretty good to me.

Gives me an idea...we should develop some "form" letters that everyone can cut and paste into correspondence to various entities. I for one have no problem whatsoever with sharing anything my feeble brain can come up with.

The easier we make it for folks to exercise their voice, the better. Case in point, you providing the addresses for folks.

More later.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
                          Out and about for a bit. Will take a closer look when I get home but it already looks pretty good to me.

Gives me an idea...we should develop some "form" letters that everyone can cut and paste into correspondence to various entities. I for one have no problem whatsoever with sharing anything my feeble brain can come up with.

The easier we make it for folks to exercise their voice, the better. Case in point, you providing the addresses for folks.

More later.

James
                          I'll let you handle the form letter.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post

I view it in a different light:

"As a licensed pilot and aviation enthusiast who flies vintage aircraft in air shows, I can tell you that every pilot knows the risks every time they slide into a cockpit. Flying a vintage airplane, or any airplane, comes with the same risks as simply driving to work. In fact, air shows, which are different than air races, are among the safest of any event you can attend. "

He's mainly defending vintage aircraft. I've read many a post-Ghost-crash article that refers to these "old, vintage airplanes" used for racing, making references to their age as a potential reason they are too unsafe to race, or even fly today.

Since it came right after the Stead crash and even mentions racing, I know it's in reference to Reno too.

But I do take objection to this statement I deem as inaccurate:

...There hasn’t been a spectator fatality at an air show in more than 60 years.

Is that so? Never heard of the horror at Ramstein Air Base, Germany,...Or the 78 who died at a Ukraine air show?

Ever hear of the airshow crash that happened in Germany ONLY THREE YEARS AGO?

Spectator Killed In Air Show Crash.

A private plane struck a crowd of onlookers shortly after landing at a small air show in central Germany killing one person and injuring 10 others, including two children, police said.

Hartmut Tuermer, a spokesman for police in the town of Gotha, said the propeller-powered plane had landed near Eisenach just before it hit people along the runway and then struck a children's carousel before coming to a halt.

One man was killed and 10 other people were hurt, three seriously, said Karin Koehler, a police spokeswoman.

Perhaps he meant no spectator killed at an airshow in the USA, but even there I think I could locate one with a little searching. He did us no favors there, but I still think the speech reads positive overall to the average reader, and I believe THAT'S important.
                            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-23-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

The man's a US Rep, he is speaking to the US citizenry, about the airshows operated in the US. This is a US board, too. It's OK to speak only to what is going on in one's own country.

Comment

Working...
                              X