Updates & Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates & Links

The previous "updates" thread got yanked because discussion turned controversial. Having a thread for posting current information and relevant links serves an important purpose in keeping people informed about what's happening out there right now. Let's give this another shot, but maybe take comments about specific content and sources into separate threads so the mods can do their moderating without losing previous content. As has been pointed out elsewhere, the mike is always open here.

Some Reno media sources:
    Reno Gazette-Journal | Reno news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds

Re: Updates & Links

There's a lot of content online right now, but many media sources will archive or remove it from their sites after awhile. When the RGJ does this, you have to pay to see the articles. It might be a good idea for people to print, pdf, or capture some of this while it's easily accessible. It could be useful later.

Comment

Originally posted by bill_f View Post
      The previous "updates" thread got yanked because discussion turned controversial.
      I finally went to bed and missed out on what was happening here. That's what I get for sleeping.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

I'm not posting this to start a fire storm or a lot of speculation. I just wanted to point out that the ambulance chasers are likely to see fewer lawsuits than they think. Just as air race fans don't want the races cancelled over this, most will not want to do anything that will injure the sport.

Air races liability insurance tops $100 million

Comment

An interesting article regarding liability waivers linked to that one. Matt Jackson is quoted.

Comment

I wish Matt hadn't been quoted until the official NTSB report came out. CYA Matt for incoming flak. I know you are a great stick.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Reno Gazette Journal has posted photos of the press conference with the Elvins. When a family who lost a member and has members who have lost limbs, still want the races to continue and still plan on attending... well, that says a lot about our air race family, doesn't it?

Whatever we can do for them, we should.
              Last edited by sandramore; 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

CYA for sure....... Wow....
                Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

I, for one am very glad Matt Jackson commented. The closed lipedness(if that's a word) of the air racing community at this time is a mistake. Matt has provided very good info that pretty much explains what happens and what he thought was the reason why. Good for him!!

Now that AAFO has decided to lock down the info, hearsay and rumour is all the masses have to go on. The forum here was the most accurate source of info for all us race fanatics. Now I guess it'll be Youtube and Liveleak and any other aviation forum.

Sorry, Just griping out loud. Guess the fact that this tragedy happened is too much public knowledge and the reasons why are only for the select few that need to know.

This used to work back in the day, but with information readily available, there are other sources besides this website.

Of course we could circle the wagons, develop talking points and educate our AAFO members etc . . . .

Comment

I think it still is the best place for accurate news. Wayne is trying to keep our speculation from turning into someone else's fodder.

Others can speculate and the vultures may or may not pay attention to what they say. We speculate and they'll assume we know what we're talking about.

So, I know what I know, but am unwilling to share it. Remember, not only did Jimmy and other people lose their lives, but there are folks out there whose livelihoods could be affected by the "fallout" from the accident. I wouldn't want to be responsible for making that worse.

I wanted to add, I think the accident is really starting to set in for some of us. Discussion here and on other forums has dropped off today to almost nothing. I think we're all in "wait mode" now, holding our breaths for tomorrow preliminary report.
                    Last edited by sandramore; 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Excellent reply Sandra... Excellent.

It isnt about speculating for the lawyers and such to grab and run with......I am sure Wayne (AAFO's supreme Air Boss) knows what he's doing in keeping speculation and "Certain topics" down off the board. I am sure anyone who had ownership of this site would react/act the same way given the masses that post and "lurk" through this website. And yes, it is an awesome website!

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                      I think it still is the best place for accurate news. Wayne is trying to keep our speculation from turning into someone else's fodder.

Others can speculate and the vultures may or may not pay attention to what they say. We speculate and they'll assume we know what we're talking about.

So, I know what I know, but am unwilling to share it. Remember, not only did Jimmy and other people lose their lives, but there are folks out there whose livelihoods could be affected by the "fallout" from the accident. I wouldn't want to be responsible for making that worse.

I wanted to add, I think the accident is really starting to set in for some of us. Discussion here and on other forums has dropped off today to almost nothing. I think we're all in "wait mode" now, holding our breaths for tomorrow preliminary report.
                      Randy Rheinschild
                      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dago Dog View Post
                        I, for one am very glad Matt Jackson commented. The closed lipedness(if that's a word) of the air racing community at this time is a mistake. Matt has provided very good info that pretty much explains what happens and what he thought was the reason why. Good for him!!

Now that AAFO has decided to lock down the info, hearsay and rumour is all the masses have to go on. The forum here was the most accurate source of info for all us race fanatics. Now I guess it'll be Youtube and Liveleak and any other aviation forum.
                        I really can't remember the exact time I moved the threads; last night or early this moning?

I have managed to become very fatigued and just could not dig up the energy or mental capacity to attempt to get to the bottom of this at that hour.

I woke up really feeling like fecal matter and have just an hour or so ago begun to try to sort through this.

I will be talking with Matt, he did say it was a misquote in an email...

It's clearly obvious that moving the thread did nothing to keep the "lid" on the jar so I could get some rest.

I will VERY likely, move them back to the open forum as I see nothing is being served by them being where they are.

I will wait until I can fathom up the energy to call Matt, as requested in a second email from him.

I'm just going to ask once, however... "don't kill the messenger"... ok??
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wagner, we love you man.... Can't say it enough, we really do appreciate what you do and have done with this website. After I get done with the wedding next month i'll send some more love your way...
                          Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Thanks Wayne,

Sorry for the daitribe, I know you have tons of stuff on your plate. No harm intended. I got tired of answering everyones questions about " Were you there, what was it like and is everyone else OK. I used the AAFO forum as a way to fend off lots of questions and point others to some voices of reason and true facts.

Keep up the great work here! and thanks for all that you do!

Rob

Comment

New article.

Medical examiner has identified all bodies found on the tarmac; no additional fatalities anticipated.

Comment

Working...
                              X