media liability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• media liability

(I know this is as futile as fixing our government)

My question is;
    Isn't the media responsible for their published work ?
    (printed or presented)

Do we (as race fans) have the right to have their misinformation
    corrected (at an equal publicity level,not a page five note) ?

pot stirred.
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Re: media liability

Including duped and altered photos! I cannot believe what I have seen in mainstream news media.

Comment

it's not just airplanes. The media sensationalizes everything with the TV media being the worst. Airplanes, murder trials, politics, toyotas with unintended accelerations, diet fads, the dreaded bedbug epidemic, hawaiian birth certificates -- accuracy is not important, just get a couple freaked out people on camera. Get some "experts" on the tube, edit the film to hype the story, quote them out of context and disavow any responsibility for anything except to the ratings gods.
      Last edited by Pete; 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
        Including duped and altered photos! I cannot believe what I have seen in mainstream news media.
        I've seen duped photos, do you have links to altered photos?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I want to see links to the altered photos, too.
          Chris...

Comment

Isn't it strange that the only time you will see mention of the air races in the news or the sports page of a news paper is if there is a crash.
            Same with any form of motor sports. But there is tons of ball sports.

Comment

My brother made a good point the other day in watching all the news about the air races. He said something to the effect of... how mad it makes you to see all of the wrong information in the news when you are a relative expert on the subject (air racing in this case).
              And how scary it is to think of how much they get wrong on every story we do not know much about and we just blindly go with it.

Comment

A lot of people out there do not understand Air Racing unfortunately and the media does report faulty info. Let the NTSB do their job and file a correct report. Until then the media should be careful what info they report. Just my two cents.

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan View Post
                  My brother made a good point the other day in watching all the news about the air races. He said something to the effect of... how mad it makes you to see all of the wrong information in the news when you are a relative expert on the subject (air racing in this case).
                  And how scary it is to think of how much they get wrong on every story we do not know much about and we just blindly go with it.
                  That is a VERY good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
                    Isn't it strange that the only time you will see mention of the air races in the news or the sports page of a news paper is if there is a crash.
                    Same with any form of motor sports. But there is tons of ball sports.
                    They'll even televise people playing cards over showing air races. I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51 View Post
                      (I know this is as futile as fixing our government)

My question is;
                      Isn't the media responsible for their published work ?
                      (printed or presented)

Do we (as race fans) have the right to have their misinformation
                      corrected (at an equal publicity level,not a page five note) ?

pot stirred.

What are OUR RIGHTS to these damaging points of sensationalism ?

Do we not deserve an equally sensational,equal time retraction or correction ?
                      Mayday51
                      Jim Gallagher

Comment

It's an unfortunate thing, but the bottom line with any company, organization, etc is to SELL your stuff. Factual stuff be da****, inquiring minds (?) want flash/gore/flesh. Most people (not everybody,mind) wouldn't watch the news or read a newspaper if it just had the news. Most people want sensational/controversial items. It's our "Springer" society.

As read from the posts here, the intellectual folks on this forum rise above such petty crud and focus on the real truth; resolving this unfortunate incident, continuing the pursuit of safety and preserving this great sport.

Comment

Sadly, we have no rights in what the media over sensationalizes, gets wrong, and blows out of proportion. The Reno Gazoo-Urinal appears to follow their agenda on a regular basis. If you prove they have gotten something wrong, and you can get them to look at the proof, you MIGHT get a 1 line correction hidden in the paper, maybe.

I think the age of fair and balanced journalism is long dead. Some are worse than others, but the good ones are almost all gone.
                          10-32 - John
                          Reno, NV Fan since 1978
                          Long Live the Reno Championship Air Races!

Comment

Working...
                          X