Our Pledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Pledge

Time. It marches on. For some slowly. For others more quickly. As it does, we will each move from one state to another emotionally. As shared by CarolinaChuck, sorrow will eventually give way or at least share center stage with resolve.

Some, like myself, get there quickly. It is our healing and coping mechanism. Others take more time to process the myriad of feelings. It is a journey we all walk together yet on our own. As each of us reaches the final stage of resolve, it is at that moment that we make a pledge. A pledge to those around us who need our help. To our friends who we stand with. And most importantly, to ourselves.

Maybe this post will hang around a while as each of us reaches a point in our own recovery and comes here to pledge. As we do, we will have a very tangible and visible icon of our resolve and that icon will shine for us, the air racing community at large, and the general public.

If I may be so bold as to start us off...

We pledge....

To those who were lost or lost someone in this tragedy, our unending love and sympathy. The air racing community is more than that...it is a family. And when family hurts, we hurt. You have our love, our thoughts, and our solemn promise to never forget.

To those who are trying to help those so deeply impacted, our unwavering support. We know you are hurting and in need. We are here. We are smart. We have resources. We are connected. If you need something, ask. If you dont know where to go, come here. We will do all we can to help you find what you need.

To the NCAR and RARA, our voice. When the time comes to lift air racing back up, we will be there. We are more than fans. We are informed, intelligent, and passionate. We stand beside you and we will be heard.

To the media, our always watchful eye. If you are a professional journalist who is dedicated to the truth, we will respect you and support your work. However, if you are only looking to find the most sensationalistic story you can share only to make a buck, we will call you out. We will fight sensationalism with the truth. And we will win.

To each other, our undying friendship. We were a connected community before. Now we are galvanized steel. We will share tears, laughter, memories, and new experiences. We will be stronger than ever and we will never take life, our passion, or each other for granted.

And lastly...

To the pilots, crews, and yes, the airplanes, our asses. Because when you race again, and you WILL race again, you can damn well bet they will be in the seats.

James

Re: Our Pledge

AMEN brother!
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Kiwi, you took the words rite out of my mouth.

AMEN!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Amazing words!

Comment

brilliant

Comment

Amen!

My new pledge of allegiance, right behind the one that I was taught in 1st grade, some 40 years ago.

God Bless the United States of America,and God Bless the Reno National Championship Air Races!

My Granddad fought in WWI; my Daddy was on the USS Hornet in WWII ( and is still a practicing pharmacist at the age of 85); and my Brother and myself have spent our entire lives promoting aviation, both in our careers and telling all that will listen to us how wonderful this field is.

Long Live the National Championship Air Races and the Reno Air Race Association!

I will be happy to donate to the continuation of this event, no matter what it takes.

Tom Mathews

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg66 View Post
                Amen!

My new pledge of allegiance, right behind the one that I was taught in 1st grade, some 40 years ago.

God Bless the United States of America,and God Bless the Reno National Championship Air Races!

My Granddad fought in WWI; my Daddy was on the USS Hornet in WWII ( and is still a practicing pharmacist at the age of 85); and my Brother and myself have spent our entire lives promoting aviation, both in our careers and telling all that will listen to us how wonderful this field is.

Long Live the National Championship Air Races and the Reno Air Race Association!

I will be happy to donate to the continuation of this event, no matter what it takes.

Tom Mathews
                AMEN Bulldawg66

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jeff

Comment

Amen.
                    My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Amen!

Comment

I'm looking for feedback. Please give me your honest thoughts on this...

We're not sure what sort of media coverage the memorial service will have. Hopefully, they'll just leave everyone alone. But if they are there, should we decline to speak to them?

I'm actually tempted to take Fawkes "pledge" with me tomorrow, but I wanted input first.
                        sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                        http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                          I'm looking for feedback. Please give me your honest thoughts on this...

We're not sure what sort of media coverage the memorial service will have. Hopefully, they'll just leave everyone alone. But if they are there, should we decline to speak to them?

I'm actually tempted to take Fawkes "pledge" with me tomorrow, but I wanted input first.
                          Sandra, I'm way up "here" so I'm not going to be there but I'd suggest that "no comment" would serve no purpose...

That said, I think an emphisis on how sad we all (fans) are absolutely would be the way to start any statement made to media.. followed quickly at how amazing and unique the races are, how it is even more amazing how positive the comments from those injured have been, about the continuation of the races!

It's more than a sport (we all know this) it's a celebration of our aviation past, I've always viewed it as a tribute to ALL the aviators who saved our way of life in WWII..

I'm feeling like crap, under the weather, so all of my posts have been and will be pretty brief for a while... but I think that's a start..

Be POSITIVE- Remember those lost, emphisis on our safety record.

Less said is more?

/end opinion
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks, Wayne. I've no intention of seeking them out, but since we're taking Victor's beautiful poster, we'll probably stand out from the crowd, so to speak.
                            sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                            http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Hang in their girl....
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X