The Gasoline and Knives Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gasoline and Knives Store

I sell parts for classic British sports cars. We publish a house magazine, in which every issues I write an editorial. Although it needs to be vetted, this is what I plan on saying:

There is a little known store. It sells gasoline and knives. The gasoline is obviously visible, the knives not so much. It has been in business for 48 years. Once a year, curious folks like myself wander by to see the gasoline and knives. Sometimes they have a small explosion. When this happens, the knives fly around.

No window shopper has ever before been harmed by the knives, but on September 16, 2011, there was a bigger than usual explosion and the knives got out, killing some of the passers by.

The gasoline and knife store also has a different name, one more familiar to the general public. It’s known as the National Championship Air Races, and is held every September just outside Reno Nevada. The gasoline is the aircraft and pilots. The knives are what happen when things go badly wrong.

Every pilot knows the risks, but he or she chooses to face those risks, and push themselves and their equipment near, but hopefully not beyond the flash point. While far too many pilots have experienced the knives - an in flight mechanical failure or mid air collision – we vicarious thrill seekers have always been immune.

Sure, we know the knives may fly our way, but like the pilots, we too choose the adrenaline rush. The dangers of being near by are forgotten when the throttles are pushed forward.

On that fateful day in September, when Jimmy Leeward, a very experienced and well liked pilot crashed into the crowd, my nose was pressed to the glass. His highly modified P-51 Mustang, which moments before had been rounding the pylons in excess of 450 miles per hour, suffered an apparent mechanical failure. It pitched up, rolled to the right, and then veered down in to the crowd.

The aircraft, named Galloping Ghost, shattered on impact, showering the box seats around it with shrapnel. I was not hundreds of yards away, not even a few dozen. I was in the path of that debris.

As an avid amateur warbird photographer, for me, the entire sequence of events took place through the strobing effect of an SLR shutter firing at five frames per second. The time span between my conscious understanding Jimmy was in trouble, and a subconscious realization I was in trouble too, was not more than a couple seconds. I dropped to me knees, closed my eyes and took my share of the flying knives.

Moments later, covered with fluids, dirt and biological material, I opened my eyes to a twilight zone. My box seat area, a ten by ten foot home for the races, comprised of plastic folding chairs, and delineated by rental company poles and drapes had blown apart. My friends were on the ground in various states of distress.
    I stood up, and looking into the box on my left, and saw utter devastation. A couple who had been sitting to my immediate left, within touching distance, were lying face down and unconscious.

A young man, who moments before, was sitting in a wheel chair had been blown across their booth, a piece of aircraft structure wrapped around his destroyed chair. He passed away in hospital a couple days later. The tail wheel assembly and additional pieces of aircraft structure were strewn about us. Behind me, a man in obvious shock was holding his head and bleeding profusely.

And there I was, in the midst of this carnage, dirty and in shock, but with little more than some cuts and bruises. Each of us must choose his or her reasons for why things happen the way they do. The knives had gotten out, but they chose to spare me.

This story is not the typical British Motoring fare, but to help heal myself, it must be recorded and shared. To Jimmy Leeward, his family and friends, and to all those in the crowd who suffered with him, I offer my deepest condolences.

Will the gasoline and knife store reopen for business next year? This I do not know. What is certain to me, if they do, I will be there, nose pressed against the glass. Humanity to me is about horizons. We must face our fears, calculate our risks, and move forward.

Thank you for allowing me to unload some baggage and move on.

It occurs to me this should not be posted here under an anonymous sounding screen name. My name is Robert Goldman. If Wayne or anyone else feels this piece should not be posted here and taken down, I understand. I deal with personal grief and angst by writing out that which is floating in my head.
    Last edited by ignomini; 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM.
    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Re: The Gasoline and Knives Store

Wow.......... Can't imagine it...... My nose will be pressed against the glass as well next year....
    Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

As a writer, I think the use of that sort of analogy is good, but any way you can find something less.... well, other than gasoline and knives. Those two things have too much capacity to hurt people. The people who don't understand our sport, who want to end it, will point out how dangerous gasoline and knives are. Children especially shouldn't be allowed around gasoline and knives, but I want kids to continue to come to the races, I guess because those were the best times of my childhood.

Not trying to be critical, just thinking out loud.
      Last edited by sandramore; 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

I have to agree. Inadvertently comparing race planes with petrol and sharp cutting tools does nothing to help the sport and somewhat hurts it.

However, I can understand, and I like your story. I wasn't there but I can certainly see where the "knives" concept would come to you. I wouldn't want to experience what you and friends did for all the gold in the world.

I'm glad you nor any of your loved ones were lost. My hat off to you.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
          I have to agree. Inadvertently comparing race planes with petrol and sharp cutting tools does nothing to help the sport and somewhat hurts it.

However, I can understand, and I like your story. I wasn't there but I can certainly see where the "knives" concept would come to you. I wouldn't want to experience what you and friends did for all the gold in the world.
          Well said, I feel the same.
          I also hope to be there next year and many more years in the future.
          Last edited by FENCELINER; 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Robert,

Thank you! I needed to shed another tear, and this was the catalyst.

I hope to be there next year with my nose pressed against the glass as well.

--Mark

Comment

I'm glad that you were able to share your story. I too was there in the boxes and can't get over the fact that I was spared, while the four people in the front of my box were sent to the hospital (all are doing well and consider themselves lucky).

I know that the majority of the people in the boxes are die-hard fans and many are pilots. Now that I've had a few days to let things settle in my mind, I've thought a lot about how all of those around me would feel about returning to the races next year. I'm very encouraged that you too will be back.

I've been going to the races for 15 years. I'm 22 now and I live my entire life for just one week in September. I don't know what I would do without them. My girlfriend is still in the hospital making a full recovery and even though it was only her 5th year, she feels the same way.

We need to save our sport, anyway we can. I'm hoping that with enough pressure and continued interest in the races that we can all see each other next September and enjoy some world class racing, just as Jimmy and the Ghost would have wanted.

Comment

I am glad you have the courage to share your experience.Some won't like the analagy.That's ok.We are all intitled to our opinion.

I would add too that if we all looked honestly at the things we do,there is gasoline and knives everywhere.I cycle. I share the road with lethal tanks everytime I ride.It is acceptable to me and my friends I ride with.

I ski.There is the potential for great harm in the things I have done here too.Acceptable to me and those I have shared the experience with.

I have climbed some great mountians.Enough said on the risk doing this.
                I would not trade the summit views I have seen for anything in this world.

I have spectated at many,many airshows and airraces. I will be honest.
                I have thought about what would happen if things went south.Thought about it,and went and watched anyway.Well worth the gift of seeing some great planes,hearing some great sounds and feeling some great feelings.Meeting some really great folks along the way too.

I am by no means a high risk taker.Far from it.I assess,eliminate unnecessary risk,calculate the potential,and participate.

Basically I live by what is acceptable to me and me alone.Life is by no means safe.Read the paper,watch the news.All risk and danger in life can never be totally eliminated.We are fools if we think this possible.

We are born.We ALL know what is waiting for us in the end.

I will get there and say "I'm glad I did" rather then "I wish I would have"
                Makes sense to me.

I will certianly be anticipating a return to Reno in 2012.Wouldn't have it any other way.

Brian
                Last edited by BKB; 09-20-2011, 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

To sandramore and others, I understand your comments, and this essay may never again see the light of day.

The connection to gasoline and knives though is anything but random. Call it justification after the fact but two quotes jump off the page at me. In the movie Strategic Air Command, the general says to Jimmie Stewart "These men are all sharp tools." When Dennis Hopper was asked about the motorcycle in Easy Rider, he responded by saying "It's emblematic of America; flashy and loud and powered by gasoline."

I may not have the quotes exactly correct, but they are lines which live in my subconscious. I have always interpreted both in a positive light, whatever was meant by their authors.

To me, all the pilots and planes at Reno are sharp tools, in the best sense of the phrase. Gasoline fuels them, but also makes them dangerous. As Galloping Ghost came down at me, my impressions were of a sharp, angry thing. It impacted 30-40 feet away. For one brief moment I shared the danger with these giant men and women pilots.

It is my last wish to scare people off, however, I also believe we need some unvarnished truth in our lives. I'll be looking for some counseling when I get home, but writing that yesterday actually lifted me out of a very black mood.

Please don't think I'm angry at anyone. It's always harder to convey body language in typewritten words.

Shalom
                  No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                  http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I'm going to disagree with those who take exception to the 'gasoline and knives,' and I'll explain why.

One of the notions that has emerged with the greatest vigor in the aftermath of this tragedy is that people who attend this event need to be protected from themselves - that they simply lack the wherewithal to determine for themselves which dangers they are prepared to risk and which they are not. And it's not coming merely from the usual bigger government/more regulations crowd. Even conservative pontificator Sean Hannity believes that rules must be made to prevent people from being exposed to such levels of danger.

What 'gasoline and knives' as metaphors do is connote danger, and a tale that makes clear the customer acceptance of that danger is an important part of what must be shouted loud and clear by the air racing community.

While there may be a downside to an admission that air racing has a level of risk that some would not choose for themselves, don't we, as fans, owe it to our sport to make it absolutely clear that we accept those risks?

The reality is that the most direct threat to the Air Races is not from that dangers that the sport itself engenders but rather it is from those who would seek to prevent us from having the choice to accept risks. Metaphors of danger and risk seem appropriate if we are to convey what we must.
                    Last edited by TwoZeroWest; 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Robert: Thanks for your thoughtful post. I'm normally in Box A72, but didn't attend this year. Our box-mates came away unharmed, but not folks on either side of the "Cincy Guys Box." Unfortunately, one of them passed away on the ramp.

Your post is cathartic, for you and many who read it. So thanks for that. While I wasn't there this year, I certainly have thought, what if I had been... As you've described, fate plays by its own rules. It's random in its intent, but specific in its effect.

If we are fortunate enough to reconvene next year, or even a couple years out, there will certainly be a whole new level of community and connecteness in the box area. Sincere, emotional hugs and long, firm handshakes with steady eye contact that reaches into the soul will be the rule of the day. We may not rival Section 3 for noise and attention, but just being there again will have a whole new level of meaning.

Thanks again for your post. Tailwinds, Rudy
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Robert

Excellent post. I'm not sure I like the analogy and I'm not sure one is necessary. The description of your experience and your affirmation to return is all I need to know.

The air races have been a part of my life for nearly five decades. I've missed only 2 of the 48 years. I have been in love with anything that flys since I was very young. I know of no other place where you can see these planes flown to their maximum potential. There is nothing else that looks, sounds, feels or even smells like this event.

I spend much of my time on the fenceline or in the pits. The closer I can get to the planes the better. I used to watch from the hills on the front straight until they tossed us out. I would stand there still if they would let me. There is nothing that grabs the very fibre of your being like an unlimited ripping overhead at 500mph, just a few feet away.

I freely accept the risks involved. In reality I am much more likely to be killed on the drive to the event. If I should die, do not morn for me for I will have passed doing what I love. My heirs have been instructed not to give the time of day to any shyster attorneys that will no doubt surface.

I am deeply saddened to have lost Jimmy Leeward who I met last year for the first time, and his beautiful aircraft. My sincere condolences go out to the other fans who where killed or injured and their families.

For me the real tragedy would be if this were the end of the races. I look forward to returning next year to celebrate the lives of those lost and the sport we love. I hope to see you there.
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust
                        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

I think the appropriateness of any analogy depends on your audience, and what effect you want your writing to have on them.. Some people wouldn't get what you're talking about, but some would.

I'm a relative newbie to the races - my first year was 2002. I was hooked. My mind and heart are always in Reno in September, even if my body isn't.

I was sitting with my girlfriend just west of Section 3 (in section 2?) at the time of the accident. Just terrible. Haunting.

That said, I'm not sure words, or even video with the best sound can adequately describe what Reno is.. The intensity, beauty, scale, excitement, and grandeur of the place and people and machines seem to defy capture.

That said, I believe analogy may offer the best chance to connect readers with the experience that is Reno, and so I applaud your efforts to help people understand and share in this way. Knives and gasoline might be the best analogy that can be found, but for me, it doesn't express the unabashed beauty of being there. I don't know your proposed readers, but could imagine that some of them would "get it," even so.

Matt-

Comment

Mr. Goldman,

I appreciate your frankness and am glad to have read your post. True believers didn't have to be there to take it personally.

Your column may not be suitably, ah, politic for publication in the broader media. It certainly belongs here, though.

Thanks.

$
                            "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                            Martin Caidin

Comment

Originally posted by ezeflierid View Post
                              That said, I'm not sure words, or even video with the best sound can adequately describe what Reno is..
                              For me it's always been the smell. That certain something that's in the air when race time rolls around, the smell of hangars, and the smell of the airplanes when they first fire them up.... Indescribable. <sigh>
                              sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                              http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Working...
                              X