Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open note to Wayne...

All,

As a long-time member of this community that has largely been a lurker, I’ve debated the appropriateness of sharing my thoughts with the community at large. The last thing I would ever want to do is step in somewhere or in some way that ended up being perceived as less than respectful. It is my sincere hope that all who read the following will recognize it for what it is…the thoughts of someone who is passionate about aviation and has unending respect for all who promote it, including every single one of you.

First, for Wayne, my heartfelt thanks. This is your community and you are at once owner and mayor. Far too often it rests on your shoulders to make important decisions and to try and tend to your “herd”. I suspect the last few days have been much tougher on you than you have let on. Not only are you shocked and greiving like all of us, but you also have had to make decisions around what to do with your community and how to help us heal.

I know you have debated about what was/is/will be the right thing to do. Up vs down. Let it roll vs moderate. The simple words from a simple man (me) are this…do not worry about what is “right” for everyone. What you have chosen to do with your community to this point and what you will choose to do in the future need only to be right for YOU. Having quietly watched you lead this community for several years now, your decisions reflect who you are and that is a very good thing.

It has been our pleasure to come play in your playground and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for having the strength and passion to have carried this community so far. But you are human too. If you need your own time to heal, take it. If you need something from us, ask for it. I promise you, with the seeds you have sown the line to help will be long and ready.

I originally had a piece here that spoke to the community’s discussion of the crash. Given the most recent trend to quiet that discussion, it seemed prudent to remove the longer language and simply say that I agree that it was good for folks to talk it out a bit. However, the time has come to let the experts do their job and for us to heal as a group and grow strong again to support the NCAR/RARA when the time comes.

For me, the first step occurred today when I mailed the renewal of my family membership in RARA.

Lastly…heros.

Jimmy Leeward is a hero of mine today. He was also a hero last Friday before he ever stepped into the miracle that was the Galloping Ghost. He is a hero just as the Sanders are. Just as the Hintons. And Tiger. And John. And Heather. And Rod. And Stu. And Will. And Kevin. And Jon. And Wayne. And all of the others who support our beloved sport – in the past, today or in the future. They are all my heros for multiple reasons. They seek excellence. They push to the next level. They bleed aviation and flight. And there is one more thing…

Every last one of the pilots that slips the bonds of earth, does so with one small little item tucked into the recesses of their brains. That if, heaven forbid, the choice was between them being hurt or even the possibility of one of us being harmed, there was never a question as to the outcome. So, on what had been a glorious Friday afternoon up until that point…

Jimmy Leeward was a hero. Whether he was conscious and flying his aircraft or suffering from GLOC matters not. We all know that, if conscious, he would be doing all he could to protect his family, friends, and fans first. Maybe it helps some of us to heal to think he actively made a terrible tradgedy less so. Maybe it helps those who were in harm’s way but escaped to feel it was Jimmy and not fate that spared them further harm. I have tremendous respect for both beliefs. I truly do. And I fully support those that choose to believe that he was actively a hero one more time.

But as for me….I prefer to hope for Jimmy that he was not aware of the imminent harm to those he cared so much about. Instead, I wish for him the joy and thrill of a last moment of just having passed a Bear and setting his sights on some Black Magic and a Witch.

He was indeed laying down his second Ace...

The smile had to be so big that Stu could see it as he passed by.

In memory of the Ghost and its hero pilot.

James
    Last edited by Fawkes; 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelling/Phrasing

Re: An open note to Wayne...

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
    All,

But as for me….I prefer to hope for Jimmy that he was not aware of the imminent harm to those he cared so much about. Instead, I wish for him the joy and thrill of a last moment of just having passed a Bear and setting his sights on some Black Magic and a Witch.

He was indeed laying down his second Ace...

The smile had to be so big that Stu could see it as he passed.

In memory of the Ghost and its hero pilot.

James
    That is my hope as well, James. I would love to have seen his smile as he passed the Bear. Dear god, I'm in tears again.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Nicely said..
      Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
      Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

That.... was beautiful.

Comment

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
            That.... was beautiful.
            x2
            Mark K....

Comment

Well done. A classic of what air racing is all about At going on 80 I'm still out there among them.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Well said!

Comment

I have to say I am eterneally grateful as well as inspired by your words!!

I just had an idea in another thread after reading some of this thread... http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...2949#post92949

And I'm going to share my idea here as well.

Originally posted by From Other Thread
                  As I sit here in my little motel room in Yreka.... my thoughts are finally beginning to clear and I get an idea...

I can tell you from the site stats, that there are thousands or possibly tens of thousands of people who have never seen this site, now reading through the thousands of messages...

Just an idea but how about we take a half empty glass of water and turn it into a half full, or more glass?

Let's be nice and explanatory when we see a sensational headline, or factually completely incorrect headline or wording in a story.

What I'm saying is.. you see a headline somewhere and it's completely off.. what we've been doing is bringing their words here and then bashing the "ignorant" media.

How bout we bring those headlines or quotes from stories here and instead of getting pissed... we make a rational INFORMED observation of same...

Remember, right now... "the whole world is watching" is not totally off base in describing what's happening.

Let's bring into the fold of "the family of air racing" those curious and interested who have heard about this tragedy and have landed here to learn more!

What do you guys say... let's turn this into a positive... A HUGE positive!!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I had to read all of this twice just to absorb it all ~ Awesome post, thank you

Solo ~ Cloudchaser

Comment

I need to thank you for this forum again, Wayne. As soon as I heard about the accident, this was the first place I came.

Agreed, it's a great post. Who better to help educate the public about the sport and why it should continue. Who better to defend the people and aircraft we love?

We know the love of air racing is contagious. We've all been bitten by that bug. We just need to make like Typhoid Mary and see how many other people we can infect. lol
                      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Very nice!

Frank C.

Comment

Working...
                        X