Please Help Save The Sport of Air Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Save The Sport of Air Racing

Please, if you love the sport of air racing, as much as I do then no comment other than your sympathy for the people that lost there lives will help allowing it to return to Reno next year.

There are too many people out there in the media that are coming to this website and other websites like this to see your comments. They will take your comments out of text, change your words and then try and write a story about air racing without knowing nothing about it or the people involved. They are looking for any reason to give the sport of air racing a black eye. I realize everyone has the right to the freedom of speech but please, please, remember that we are being watched by the media, the FAA, the NTSB and of course all the attorneys.

Our time will come to post comments after this tragic accident as calmed down and we are not part of the daily news.

Jimmy, I will miss your friendlily smile and comments! My thoughts and prayers go out to all your family and my air racing friends.

BLUE SKIES FOREVER!
    Bill

Re: Please Help Save The Sport of Air Racing

I may get flamed for saying this, but....

In truth, we're pretty much out of speculation around here. The majority of comments and discussion was Friday thru Sunday. I don't know about anyone else, but at this point I'm just emotionally exhausted.

Everyone I've talked to, meaning outside the forum, has pretty much come to the same conclusion, which has been echoed on this forum. Now I think we're all settling into the "waiting to see what the NTSB has to say" mode.

The media here in Reno is already losing interest. That was obvious when they failed to broadcast the NTSB briefing on Sunday. I received email from the TV stations saying they didn't feel it was important enough to warrant air time. This will probably be one of the few times I am thankful for their short attention span.

The NTSB and FAA have made no suggestions whatever that they'd like to see the race ended and I don't think it's what they recommend. The politicians won't want it ended because the area simply can't afford to lose $85 million in revenue. It won't be the comments on this site that will end it. If anything ends the races at all, it will be an inability to afford the insurance.

What I believe we need now is to support and comfort one another while we wait. And when the discussion begins as to whether there should be a race next year, we need to make our voices heard. Until then, there's little we can really do.

Just my opinions... Flame away.
    Last edited by sandramore; 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

I think we need to let there be comfort for the familys that had Loved ones lost give some time to work this out. Blessing Shawn

Comment

I like the way Bill said it. I will say as I did in other post, the news is calling hourly. They are digging for speculation and similarities. Please hold back your speculation and we will all talk about it later.
        Dan Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
          I may get flamed
          You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

(just going for a little humor... )

I don't think anything you've said is flame-worthy at all. You've been a great help in getting facts out to everyone hungry for facts. And we all know that speculation fills the void when facts are absent....

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
            You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

(just going for a little humor... )

I don't think anything you've said is flame-worthy at all. You've been a great help in getting facts out to everyone hungry for facts. And we all know that speculation fills the void when facts are absent....
            I keep thinking I could go for a little smoke oil right about now. lol

I needed to add a note. I don't think Jimmy would consider it speculation. I think he'd say it was a SWAG, a scientific wild-assed guess.
            Last edited by sandramore; 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

440 magnum and Sandramore. I hope both of you realize and to everyone else. My post was not to flame anyone or say anything against of past post.

Dan Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad View Post
                440 magnum and Sandramore. I hope both of you realize and to everyone else. My post was not to flame anyone or say anything against of past post.

Dan Schmidt
                Don't worry, Dan, it's all good.

Comment

At this point I think there are only a couple of things worth saying if asked:

1. It was a sad day and our hearts go out to everyone affected.
                  2. Reno has had an amazing safety record of 47 years without a single specator injury.
                  3. Reno is the last aviation event of its kind so we all hope it continues.
                  4. The NTSB is who you should look to for what happened.

If everyone just said those things then maybe the vultures in the press would give up and try and find a different thing to sensationalize.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post

2. Reno has had an amazing safety record of 47 years without a single specator injury.

If everyone just said those things then maybe the vultures in the press would give up and try and find a different thing to sensationalize.

Spacegrrrl
                    Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post

Spacegrrrl
                      Great Job!

I would only add that the emergency response crews did a excellent job of getting people transported in less than 62 minutes from the time of the accident. This only comes from hours of training and many times spent practicing the emergency procedures.

Comment

I think it's Wayne's website and it supports air racing, always has and always will. We got a little tragedy right now and if Wayne don't think we should discuss this anymore, then I'll respect his wishes.
                        These gentlemen who show up with their fancy high fa-looting old airplanes love flying, they don't mind a little competition and they keep these old warbird/experimentals flying in tip top condition for profit and fun.
                        JOB CREATORS
                        I don't know about you but I have signed up for the Checkered Flag for the last 3 years. I hope I qualify for "Helping to save AIR RACING"
                        I have suffered disappointment for 3 of the 4 years I have attended.

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad View Post

Dan Schmidt
                          Oh, I totally agree and understood your point. Its one thing to share links to news stories, video/photos, etc., and totally another to draw some wild-arsed conclusion which may be totally wrong, but will get quoted and propagated.

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                            I keep thinking I could go for a little smoke oil right about now. lol
                            Does anyone else remember the last SOP that was hosted by our lost friend???

What a guy he was! He was just a wonderful person!

Let's try to begin to celebrate his life, not ponder his leaving us.
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Does anyone else remember the last SOP that was hosted by our lost friend???

What a guy he was! He was just a wonderful person!

Let's try to begin to celebrate his life, not ponder his leaving us.
                              He was so much fun. And he would probably disapprove of all the tears being shed over him. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X