Black Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Box

Fox News reported that the "Black Box" was recovered from the Galloping Ghost. You learn something new every day.

Re: Black Box

If its the same report I just saw fox news doesn't have a clue... show a P-51A on the left and a stock P-51D on the right and called it a modified version with clipped wings.... clueless.. media needs to stay away if they can't gather true facts.
    W.Hughes

Comment

They were actually just reporting a garbled version of what the NTSB said at their press conference yesterday. That was that GG did have onboard recording of the same data that was telemetered to the ground, and that they have the telemetry and the onboard box and memory card, but have not confirmed for sure it is part of GG.

Comment

The point is, they have a black box on a racer?
        Didn't know...
        I know they have them on say AMERICAN AIRLINES for instance, and maybe military aircraft? I hear there's one on the Suburban.

Comment

If you want to call it a "black box" then yes, some racers do have them.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
            If you want to call it a "black box" then yes, some racers do have them.
            Fox News called it a black box. Yeah, what does that mean?

Comment

It is just an on board computer that records, and transmits info about the AC.. speed, temps, altitude, line around the course, maybe video and so on.

It isnt really a "black box" like in the world of mass transit air craft. But a system that tells the crews on the ground what is going on with the AC so the pilot can concentrate on flying a safe consistent line while keeping other air craft in sight.

I know Voodoo, and relentless have like systems in place. How many more do, I am not sure.

Comment

Telemetry transponders? Not a voice recorder. I'm just learnin'

Comment

That I cannot tell you, I just dont know that much about it.

There are people here on this forum that do however. I'm sure they will be more than happy to talk about it at some point.

wolfee

Comment

The telemetry on these planes isn't like a "black box" on a airliner and what the media is reporting. It is typically only engine parameters, position, velocity and acceleration. It is not designed for accident investigation such as a real "black box".

In crash investigation some of the most important data is the control stick deflections and the corresponding control surface deflections. I know of no racer that has this data available.

Here is the company that supplies most of the racers systems and some images of the parameters they measure at the bottom of the page.

Bryan

Comment

Thanks Bryan, I can comprehend that.
                      Last edited by mgbf4u; 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Last edited by InetGuy; 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

As I sit here in my little motel room in Yreka.... my thoughts are finally beginning to clear and I get an idea...

I can tell you from the site stats, that there are thousands or possibly tens of thousands of people who have never seen this site, now reading through the thousands of messages...

Just an idea but how about we take a half empty glass of water and turn it into a half full, or more glass?

Let's be nice and explanatory when we see a sensational headline, or factually completely incorrect headline or wording in a story.

What I'm saying is.. you see a headline somewhere and it's completely off.. what we've been doing is bringing their words here and then bashing the "ignorant" media.

How bout we bring those headlines or quotes from stories here and instead of getting pissed... we make a rational INFORMED observation of same...

Remember, right now... "the whole world is watching" is not totally off base in describing what's happening.

Let's bring into the fold of "the family of air racing" those curious and interested who have heard about this tragedy and have landed here to learn more!

What do you guys say... let's turn this into a positive... A HUGE positive!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sounds like the plan Wayne..
                            Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
                            Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Is the rcat system the standard or do some use the AIM evo4 with smarty cam link?

Comment

Working...
                              X