Be carefull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be carefull

I posted this under "what is the cockpit environment like", but it should stand on its own...so Wayne you can remove it from there if you want.

Please people....... be mindful of what you say with regards to Miss Ashley II when you don't have first hand knowledge and or any facts. Skip Holms, who had flown M A most of the summer prior to that race, Alan Preston, my self, Bill Eck and 1 or 2 others.. (I dont recall if Bill Rodger was present or not) reviewed... discussed the all film footage at great length.....footage that would later be sent to the NTSB. THE FAILURE WAS NOT INDUCED BY FLUTTER/TAB LOSS AND OR PILOT ERROR. This is not the time or place to go into what the likely cause was....

This site, as well as many others, are regularly read by many outside "our field of interest" including the News Media/FAA /NTSB. Public opinon will be based in large part by what people read and or what is reported. Public opinon that will dictate the future of your sport.

The more all of you speculate on a public forum..... the more fuel you give the Media/public to use against our sport and or all motor sports for that matter. All motor sports have their dangers..... do some searching

Jimmy was a good friend and very talented pilot and will be missed dearly by us all. Bruce

Re: Be carefull

Well put Bruce. And it's not just the news/faa/ntsb, as another poster mentioned the lawyers are already circling. They'll be sniffing around for anything sensational.

Comment

This should be a sticky - something at the top so everyone can read before posting about this.
      Mark K....

Comment

Morning,

Bruce I thank you.

This is a time or us who love, and participate in Air Racing to just keep our mouths shut regarding the tragic event.

I'm not trying to stifle comments, but we all have to keep foremost in our minds that what we say (post) here and on other web sights about what we believe, think or know about the event will only be misconstrued, and used by those that want to stop air racing period.

I for one will not comment on what I saw and what I think happened on Friday, or any event in the past on tis forum for a long, long time.

Willie
        Crew Dog Unlimited Race 2
        the Air Biscuit
        Last edited by Warbird5; 09-19-2011, 09:57 AM. Reason: Correct error.

Comment

Bruce, thanks for the reminder to be careful and take the longer view. We all want to understand what happened to Jimmy, and talking about it is part of the process, but you are right.

Chris G.

Comment

With the help and cooperation of many of the racers, Jimmy Leeward being one who helped a lot and who opened a lot of doors for us over the years, I have tried to promote the grand sport of National Championship Air Racing. I've tried to bring it to the attention of the world.

We are certainly getting world wide attention... I'm quite certain, none of us wanted it this way!

I have simply not been able to keep up with the volume of messages and new members wanting to participate in these discussions and I have let them drift well into the arena of speculation, which, normally, I do not allow here..

I have received numerous emails and other communications from those of you who were affected by this tragedy, thanking me for having this place to talk about what happened and I do appreciate that having a place to discuss your feelings is important. I also know that knowing exactly WHAT happened is part of that healing process... We just have to keep it in control...

I'm on the road for the next 2 days, so the "controls" to the site have been placed in other, able, stable hands. Some threads will be moved, some out of sight, all will be saved. Perhaps, someday, we'll revisit these moved posts.

Thanks for understanding, Blue Skies Jimmy and Friends!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks, Wayne. Be safe. As we all know, driving is dangerous.
              sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
              http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Thanks Bruce. Well said.

Frank C.

Comment

Some of the best advice I ever got was, "Never miss a good opportunity to shut up".

It's also the first advice I'm likely to forget. Thanks for putting up with me, Boss.

$
                  "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                  Martin Caidin

Comment

Dad always said......

....better to remain quiet

....than to speak and remove ALL doubt!

Doc

Comment

I was contacted by a local news station, I assume from my Unleashed air racing website. They try to weasel their way in by asking if they can do a story on you, and your racing experience. This is clearly a trap to get you to give them more information about the crash.

So, I told them my airplane was not involved, nor any airplanes from the class that it is raced. Thus, I have nothing to say.

Also, RARA gave out some recommended talking points to the sport class and I assume others that included no speculating on the crash or the future events. But, another point that I was glad was on the list was to leave all religion out of it. A tragedy like this is hardly the time to evoke a skewed religious bias for anyone involved.. I hope I represent the probable minority on that subject. Just sayin
                      Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

As Bruce said so well please also think before making any other association with other incidents before posting. The news is all over this and calling hourly. In time we can all have these talks but right now we have to think before speaking about any of the other teams, airplanes or similar incidents. Thanks again to Bruce and all of you.
                        Dan Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad View Post
                          As Bruce said so well please also think before making any other association with other incidents before posting. The news is all over this and calling hourly. In time we can all have these talks but right now we have to think before speaking about any of the other teams, airplanes or similar incidents. Thanks again to Bruce and all of you.
                          Dan Schmidt
                          I was contacted by someone who wanted to know 1) if I had been there and 2) did I know anyone they could talk to who had been. Apparently he'd found me because of my twitter account, and the information I was forwarding.

My answer to both the questions was, "I can't help you."

I may be wrong, but I'm more concerned about people who were there saying the races should be stopped. Thankfully, most people seem to have been saying that they love the races, wouldn't want them stopped and essentially, everything has risks.
                          sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                          http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            With the help and cooperation of many of the racers, Jimmy Leeward being one who helped a lot and who opened a lot of doors for us over the years, I have tried to promote the grand sport of National Championship Air Racing. I've tried to bring it to the attention of the world.

We are certainly getting world wide attention... I'm quite certain, none of us wanted it this way!

Oh, do tell! Like they tend to say in the reporting business, "If it isn't bad news, then it isn't news".

The IRONIC thing is, if the races DO continue next year, they will probably see record attendance. Not the kind of extra crowd I would want to see attending though.

Let's face it, like with stock car races and many other types, many go to SEE a good wreck, and feel bored if the race gets completed with any "action". Those types can stay home as far as I care.

As far as promoting the races, I can sincerely say I believe you have done more for them than any other person I know of...
                            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-29-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

dear Air Doggee ! I love your posts! BUT: I did not make Race this year, first time I missed in 5yrs., and watched it get "blown-out" last year! I would NOT miss next year, if it happens, for ANYthing! I will always- from now on- go if at all POSSIBLE - to support the Races! NOW- you think there might just be a few more people like me out there? HHhhhhuuummm?? Seeya in 2012 ! dadrussell: from Alabama , attended 18 of the last 26 !

Comment

Working...
                              X