Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three who lost their lives identified...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three who lost their lives identified...

AirDOGGe: I believe all those who were lost to the world should be remembered fully, so here's details of the first ones revealed to us. Remember them forever please...

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Via CNN)

-- Authorities on Sunday identified three victims in Friday's crash at a Reno, Nevada air race.

In all, nine people were killed, including the pilot who was identified previously.

Michael Joseph Wogan, 22, of Phoenix, was attending the 2011 National Championship Air Races with his father as part of a father-and-son vacation, his family said in a statement. His father, William, was "seriously injured," the statement said.

The pilot, 74-year-old Jimmy Leeward, lost control of his vintage plane during the race and crashed into spectators. Reno police said Saturday that seven people died at the scene, including Leeward, and two more died in hospitals. Close to 70 people were injured.

Wogan was diagnosed at an early age with muscular dystrophy, and was wheelchair-bound his entire life. However, said his 19-year-old brother, James Wogan, in the statement, "He was about moving past that and always driven toward independence. Michael liked to get out and travel, and he was so excited about getting on a plane as part of this trip."

Michael Wogan graduated magna cum laude from Arizona State University with a finance degree in May, his family said. He had operated a web development company and was in the process of developing a second business.

Also identified Sunday were George and Wendy Hewitt, members of Cascade EAA Warbirds Squadron 2. The Hewitts were killed when the plane crashed into the seating area, said R.D. Williams, spokesman for the squadron.

According to its website, the squadron aims to "promote and encourage the preservation and operation of World War II and other such aircraft that are representative of military aviation operations" along with educating people on safely operating and maintaining such aircraft.

------------------------------------------------------------------

National Transportation Safety Board member Mark Rosekind said investigators are looking at whether the plane's apparently damaged elevator trim tab -- whose breaking apart was captured in a photograph -- played a role in the nosedive crash. Authorities do not know why the aircraft went down.

"We're aware of that, and in fact, a component has been recovered in the area where it was observed, but it's critical at this point to note that we have not identified this component," Rosekind told reporters Saturday. "It will be examined, so we don't know what the component is and whether it came from this particular aircraft."

He said later that investigators had identified and recovered portions of the plane's tail.

A full investigation could take six to nine months, Rosekind said.
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM. Reason: more than three victims known now.

Re: Three who lost their lives identified...

Another to add to the list:

Greg Morcum, 47, from Seattle, Washington.
    sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
    http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Noted, and thank you. The stories behind the names can be saddening, but should be known.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A man from the state of Washington was among the nine people killed in air show. Washoe County, Nevada's coroner identified the victim as Greg Morcom, 47 years.

Morcom was at the air show with four family members when the 1940s-model plane crashed. Ron Morcom Jr. tells the newspaper Saturday that his brother was killed instantly.

Ron Morcom owns Regal Air at Paine Field in Everett, Wash., and says he has been going to the air races in Reno with his father for more than 20 years. He said this was Greg's first trip to the event.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-18-2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

THANK YOU BOTH.
        RIC TAYLOR

Comment

Another in memory....This gentleman may be a hero of sorts...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GOLDEN, COLO. — When Shannon Wilhite watched the wreckage and the aftermath of the tragedy in Reno, she was horrified sitting in her home in Golden, a suburb of Denver.

She had no idea that her brother-in-law, John Craik of Gardnerville, would be among the dead.

“He was one that was taken to the hospital in critical condition and died in the hospital,” Wilhite said. “He will be missed and I just can’t imagine the damage to his children let alone my sister.”

He took his son Ethan and two of Ethan’s friends to the air races. All three children escaped the wreckage relatively unharmed. Wilhite believes it was because of the actions of her brother-in-law.

“They could see the plane coming down and I think that he was probably sheltering his son and that’s the kind of guy he was,” said Wilhite. “Very, very good dad, a very good husband, very in love with my sister.”
          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I think this is appropriate here also.

A wooden sign leaning against a fence at the site read:

"To the men, women, and children who lost their lives on 16 September 2011 you're in God's hands now. Rest in peace. Galloping Ghost #177 clear for take off ... fly to the angels."

We will not forget the GG 10
            Last edited by hm66sk; 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM. Reason: a sad change
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Report of a 10th person died this morning.

The gravity of the loss continues to grow on me.

I do appreciate reading their names and background.

Tj
              Tom Johnson,
              Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
              www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
                I think this is appropriate here also.

A wooden sign leaning against a fence at the site read:

"To the men, women, and children who lost their lives on 16 September 2011 you're in God's hands now. Rest in peace. Galloping Ghost #177 clear for take off ... fly to the angels."

We will not forget the GG 9
                Nice. And more tears for me.

Updated info from the Gazette Journal. Sorry, no other info about them provided.

"These are the known victims of Friday's crash at the National Championship Air Races that have been confirmed by family members or the Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office:

Jimmy Leeward, 74, pilot, Ocola, Fla.

Greg Morcum, 47, Bellevue, Wash.

Michael Wogan, 22, Phoenix

George Hewitt, 60, Fort Mohave, Ariz.

John Craik, 47, Gardnerville

Regina Bynum, 53, San Angelo, Texas

Sharon Stewart, 47, Reno"
                Last edited by sandramore; 09-19-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Along with the confirmed dead, RGJ has added these names as confirmed missing.

Wendy Hewitt, Fort Mohave, Ariz.

Cherie Elvin, Lenexa, Kan.

Comment

This from an AAFO member. I'll confirm as soon as I can.

"I am sad to report that Craig Salerno- TORA Pilot was one of the fatalities. Our heart goes out to his family. Additionally MR. Barksdale's son has been injured. He has had three surgeries and is in ICU. Our prayers go out to all the families."

Comment

Tora?

Comment

Sorry about that. Ryan, can you tell us what it stands for?

Comment

Mr. Barksdale? Jim Barksdale?

Comment

I had seen the info about Craig at WIX. He was one of my squadron mates. (Commemorative Air Force, Gulf Coast Wing). He was a pilot and airshow performer with the wings' Tora, Tora, Tora show which is a Pearl Harbor reenactment that features modified T6's and BT-13's made to look like Zeroes, Kates, and Vals.

Comment

I watched them fly the TORA TORA TORA routine at Stead in 1982. I can't recall if they did it again in a later year or not.

Here's some details: http://www.toratoratora.com/about.html

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X