EMS Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMS Response

I witnessed the accident from my seat at the top of reserved stands, section I.

It's appropriate to recognize the response by the Reno area EMS and law enforcement. Granted, they were on the airport and the trucks were manned, but still I was impressed by their immediate response and how quickly they began to set up a triage.

My hat is off to the performance of the "first responders."

Blue skies all,
    Chris

Re: EMS Response

My uncle was the captain assigned to the ramp for RFD. First time in years. He said it must have been doctor and nurse day at the races. Within minutes there must have been 100 qualified people on the scene. He just raced to open every door on the truck to let those people do what they do. He's never seen anything like it.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Everyone I've talked to was amazed at how calm and orderly things were immediately after the crash. First responders and medical personnel who were there as spectators just stepped in and did what they do. Spectators were surprisingly calm and did what needed doing, such as moving chairs and debris, using t-shirts and whatever was available to stop bleeding etc., until EMS personnel could get there.

My kudos to the firemen, EMS personnel and everyone else for keeping their heads and making sure this didn't get any worse.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

CFR in general was the best I have ever seen it this year.
        Seemed like the "Go" trucks were instantly on scene for each mayday.

When it happened the instant response of the CFR and Volunteer guest, doctors and heros saved a lot of lives.

The security teams that lined the streets did an outstanding job of controlling the traffic and crowd.

Tj
        Tom Johnson,
        Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
        www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

I left a couple of minutes after the accident, and I have to agree with the above posts. Walking back to my RV, numerous fire trucks, ambulances and law enforcement were already rolling into the entry gates from outside the airport to join the already onsite emergency equipment and personel. The sirens kept coming for an hour or so.
          The greater Reno Fire Dept, EMT'S, law enforcement, etc. all deserve a BIG THANK YOU.
          The fans also did a great job........I was about 500 feet from the impact and from what I witnessed around me, for the most part, people were somewhat calm. That's not to say they weren't shocked and upset, obviously we all were. So, I think a BIG THANK YOU to the fans also.
          My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and their families.
          The airport was opened at noon today for departures only. Evidently, they were required to have a special brief prior to departure. Departures were only allowed on 32. The gates are locked and public access is not allowed.

Again, I think everyone deserves a BIG THANK YOU.
          May God Bless everyone involved.
          Brian
          Last edited by supercub; 09-17-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Kudos to EMS and Fire and Security who contained the scene and transported victims in 62 minutes...
            A Fantastic job for a Mass Casualty disaster...

Comment

Yes indeed! I have to give a hand to the EM and law enforcement folk who responded so quickly and effectively, and also to all the bystanders who did whatever they could to help too.

While I wasn't there, I HAVE viewed a video shot from up high in the reserved stands that begins 30 minutes before the tragedy and runs well past it. I witnessed many regular folk administering aid and/or comfort. I was amazed and pleased at how fast the injured were stabilized and then carried away via flat-boards to emergency vehicles or triage locations. I'm sure lives were saved because of this.

--> And what I expected to see and get angered about but DIDN'T see were the typical gawkers and ghouls with cameras strolling the impact area looking for blood and gore. Kudos to all for their respect and restraint. Air race fans have CLASS!
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-17-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Godbless all who worked so hard yesterday to save lives..... My hope is that those who stepped up have a support system in place to help them through the Non Physical wounds they'll likely suffer. If you know any of them make sure you let them know that there are people they can talk to about this. Fire/Police/EMS have Critical incident stress debriefings and chaplains they can go to. They have been educated in the signs and symptoms that my pop up later. If you know someone who isnt associated with EMS, let them know they should seek out help to work through the emotional wounds left.
                From what I saw yesterday from the live feed, these people did an amazing job and I pray for them all. Godspeed Jimmy, and all who've been affected by this terrible tragedy.

Comment

Don't forget to give credit to the announcer. Immediately after the accident the announcer began instructing everyone to remain where they were in order to allow the first responders access.

The announcer was also very compassionate while attempting to calm everyone, and bring things into perspective.

Comment

I know one of the Merlin Magic crew is an ER nurse and hope she was able to help someone...

Comment

Everyone (with the exception of a few fans in shock (or overly influenced with adult beverage) that I saw arguing with the police when they were told they couldn't go see the wreck were stellar, the announcer was in top form and brought real order to the chaos, the emergency folks and medical volunteers were awesome! The fans were responsible and reacted better than any crowd I've ever seen at an event where a disaster occurred.

Bless everyone that pulled together and kept this from being any worse than it had to be, I am sure the first responders and medical folks that volunteered saved lives.

I hope next year (yes I am counting on next year) that when the event has the memorial missing man or whatever is done to mark this tragedy that the fantastic folks we saw in action Friday are acknowledged.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

My family and friends were sitting in our box on Row B. My girlfriend is currently being treated for injuries to her legs (she's going to be ok, we're very lucky). I know things would be much worse for her without the awesome response. I'd especially like to thank the owner/pilot of the Huey who flew her and so many other people to the hospital, he must have saved lives. If anyone has his contact info could they please PM me with it.

The Air Races aren't like anything else and this really showed in everyone's response. Even though I was only feet from being killed, I really think it would be a shame to stop them. It's a special place with special planes and special people, many of who you only see once a year and when tragedy strikes it really hits us all hard. It's because of this feeling that I believe the air races are one of the safest motorsports for the spectators. Everyone cares for everyone and nobody goes just to see a crash (like NASCAR).

Godspeed to all the others affected and to Jimmy and his family. We definitely lost a beautiful plane and an amazing pilot to this unfortunate accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebehne View Post
                          My family and friends were sitting in our box on Row B. My girlfriend is currently being treated for injuries to her legs (she's going to be ok, we're very lucky). I know things would be much worse for her without the awesome response. I'd especially like to thank the owner/pilot of the Huey who flew her and so many other people to the hospital, he must have saved lives. If anyone has his contact info could they please PM me with it.

The Air Races aren't like anything else and this really showed in everyone's response. Even though I was only feet from being killed, I really think it would be a shame to stop them. It's a special place with special planes and special people, many of who you only see once a year and when tragedy strikes it really hits us all hard. It's because of this feeling that I believe the air races are one of the safest motorsports for the spectators. Everyone cares for everyone and nobody goes just to see a crash (like NASCAR).

Godspeed to all the others affected and to Jimmy and his family. We definitely lost a beautiful plane and an amazing pilot to this unfortunate accident.
                          Well said, I'm glad you guys are OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebehne View Post

I beleive it was these guys....

Still to shook up to say more. God Speed Jimmy
                            Rob
                            Merlins are cool
                            But Radials rule!
                            And jets just make noise

Comment

Last edited by InetGuy; 09-20-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X