Blue Skies Jimmy Leeward and Race Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies Jimmy Leeward and Race Fans

All of you know by now, there was a terrible accident at the races today. We do not know exactly what happened but, Jimmy Leeward pitched up, rolled over and crashed onto the ramp directly in front of the box seats and the general admission seats just to the side of the boxes.

Jimmy was a fantastic man, he WAS NOT eighty years old, as has been reported, he was a very YOUNG seventy four year old.

Again, no one knows exactly what happened but I've talked with some very knowledgeable people who said that it was control surface related.

God bless everyone who has been affected by this event!

At this point, the races are cancelled for this year... going forward, RARA, the govener of Nevada, the rans, the racers and most likely, the fans who were in the box seats who's lives have been changed forever, we do not want this to be the end of the event!

Please... No speculation on cause... I will delete any post that goes down that road...

All I know is that Jimmy passed the Bear, which is exactly what he wanted.... and then... it was all over.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Blue Skies Jimmy Leeward and Race Fans

Well said Wayne. Sad and tragic day that affected many people in many ways. Blue skies Jimmy and to the spectators that have passed.

Not something I or anyone else should have to see again...

Comment

Thanks Wayne for providing this forum...A tough day...and a very hard thing to see...My thoughts are with all...Its gonna be a long sad drive home tonight.

Comment

Godspeed to all. Time for Victor to make another poster......

P.S. To Ryan....there are no words but know Jimmy was loved outside your family as well.
        Last edited by wyhdah; 09-16-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for opening the board and letting us grieve together Wayne. You said it... a very YOUTHFUL seventy-four. Jimmy was the nicest guy I ever met in air racing, and I've met quite a few. I just want to thank him and his family for so many years of joy and excitement through aviation.
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

i am just so sad about the hole thing and i am trying to fillter out the crap to try and find out that really happen. but my own idea i think the cooling system whent thats my idea.

Comment

Prayers for everyone involved and/or affected.
              http://96lt4.com/smileys/linet50.gif

Comment

Heartbroken in every way. Praying for all involved.

Comment

Our prayers to the Leewards and the spectators familys. Hopefully this will not be the end of the races.

Comment

i really hope it wont be the end eather i dont think jimmy would have whanted that at all. he loved the races probley more than me

Comment

What a great man and a great plane! We must be vigilant in our defense of him, his legacy and of our sport. The zombies will be attacking soon.
                      Of that I am most certain!

Blues Skies Jimmy !
                      Blue Skies Box Seaters!

Comment

Blue Skies Jimmy.....

Comment

Makes me a little angry that they keep referring to Jimmy as an elderly pilot! There was no person on that ramp more qualified than him to be in that plane and you can practically feel his happiness through the pictures of him with the plane and interviews talking about his plane that was faster than the rest.
                          I just hope the focus of the articles changes to the freak thing that happened with the trim tab and away from age. Blue skies to all involved...a very sad day!

Comment

At least one little C-172 in New Jersey will fly a silent memorial flight to Jimmy Leeward at sunrise. I'm sure there will be others across the country. Thanks again for everything Jimmy.
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by RCoulter View Post
                              Well said Wayne. Sad and tragic day that affected many people in many ways. Blue skies Jimmy and to the spectators that have passed.

Not something I or anyone else should have to see again...
                              I agree, thanks so much Wayne. I didn't go out today, I was going to wait and go visit with Jimmy tomorrow. Now I'll be attending his memorial service at the airport instead. Devastated doesn't begin to cover what I feel.

I love the aircraft, the sport and our air race family. It's heartbreaking every time we lose someone else. But, as we've said too many times before, now he'll have the best seat in the house. And it's not like he'll be alone, he's got Levitz and Burnstine and so many others we've lost before him.

Clear skies, Jimmy. I'll miss you.
                              sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                              http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Working...
                              X