Video of September Fury's last qualification round on monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of September Fury's last qualification round on monday

Just uploaded this video, I was amazed that the black smoke after the blewed piston (probably caused by the burned motor oil) decreased after some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LbC8E5lO0

Florian

Re: Video of September Fury's last qualification round on monday

This video makes me happy...back in the Mike Brown days, September Fury had the loudest, most spine-tingling roar from its souped-up R-3350...and that familiar noise is still there

Really the only difference noise-wise is the higher pitch of the prop buzz due to the absence of the slow nose case.
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

You're right! I also noticed her to start screaming a little bit like in the old days. You mean September Fury has a higher turning speed of the prop due to an other gear ratio?

Comment

That is correct. 232 used to have the same type of nose case that Rare Bear does...the EA2 nose case off of one of the R-3350s on a Lockheed 1649 airliner - it was like a Super Constellation on steroids...not many were made, so the nose cases are very hard to come by. They designed the case with a lower gear reduction ratio to keep the prop tips from going supersonic at high rpm....supersonic prop tips slow an airplane down. This year, Rod Lewis's crew and the POF museum fitted a stock (!!!!!!) R-3350 to the airframe and did not install the slow nose case. Still, that 467+ mph qualifying lap is dangerously close to its race speeds in 2007 and 2008, Mike Brown's last 2 years of racing. It's still a very slick airframe, and if it gets a race engine and a slow nose case again, Rod Lewis could be fielding 2 aircraft that could win the Gold...232 and Rare Bear. But I'm just glad to see 232 running again
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

JUST FUNNEN' WITH OLE' HOOT HERE, WHEN IT STARTS SHAKIN' AND
          SPEWIN SMOKE AND OIL, IT'S TIME TO SET SET UP A PRECAUTIONARY LANDING AND CHECK THINGS OUT ON THE GROUND WITH THE CREW!
          PLEASE DON'T GO AROUND A 5 MILE 360 AGAIN ASKING "HEY!, SOMETHING SEEMS DIFFERENT HERE!"
          AS WE ALL KNOW, YOU MAY BE AN ASTRONAUT, BUT TO RACE IN THE
          UNLIMITED CLASS, YOU DO HAVE TO BE SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER.
          GIGGLES AND CHEERS ALL-GHOST

Comment

That was a good looking lap- Hoot was down where you want to be; scattering Lizards and scaring Rattlesnakes!

Thanks Florian for sharing,

CC
            "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
              This video makes me happy...back in the Mike Brown days, September Fury had the loudest, most spine-tingling roar from its souped-up R-3350...and that familiar noise is still there

Really the only difference noise-wise is the higher pitch of the prop buzz due to the absence of the slow nose case.
              From what I read somewhere, the type of exhaust system September Fury is fitted with has great deal to do with the engine sound.

Comment

That was one of my guesses...either that or if they kept the fuel injection system that Mike Brown used...wouldn't think so if they have a stock R-3350 on the front end.
                -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Working...
                X