Questions on Strega and Furias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Strega and Furias

Drove by Stead on my way home from work and the Strega pit was all lit up. Seems a little late (11:30) to be working unless they had problems. Do they have issues or do they always keep it lit up like that? Couldn't see if any work was being done.

Also for any of you who saw Furias run today did Matt look like he was pushing it or just trying to get into the show? The airplane sure looked and sounded fast Sunday. 462 is a great speed, especially for the first time out, but I thought they might show a little more.

Re: Questions on Strega and Furias

not sure whats up with Race 7... but im sure the plan for Furias was to get her qualified in the main game and not stress things by racing thursday
    Im sure there is more to come from the Furias crew, but 'new' airplane, gotta make sure she makes Sunday
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

"word" on the ramp was a bad prop seal but... they were doing a lot more than that when I watched for a while before sunset. "Little Steve" was working on the engine with LD Hughes, they did not look unhappy, but I saw Steve putting on engine parts that had nothing to do with a prop. (looked like cam followers/rocker arms)

Talked with Matt, he said they had more...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Furias looked good.
        Working on Strega.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mgbf4u; 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Strega made an early morning flight, from the rail all looked good. All other pits (at least the Unlimiteds) were quiet.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

Thanks for quick updates! Cool to see the defending champion still turns wrenches on his ride. Gonna be an amazing weekend!

Comment

Steven Hinton getting settled in Strega for an early morning flight.
              Attached Files
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

Strega looks good to go, was some prop issue and Steve Jr took advantage of the time to do some other fiddling, word is they can't stop him from wrenching on it was not he is the full deal, pilot and mechanic!

Furias had a minor exhaust leak they have all sorted, I still think they might be the big surprise this year!

Voodoo looks sorted, Bear crew were working a carbon issues yesterday, will post a picture when I get a chance, very well know expert was lending a hand!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I do believe that Steven Hinton is the "real deal." I don't have any kids myself, but if he was mine I don't think my feet would ever touch the ground!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                    Strega looks good to go, was some prop issue and Steve Jr took advantage of the time to do some other fiddling, word is they can't stop him from wrenching on it was not he is the full deal, pilot and mechanic!

Furias had a minor exhaust leak they have all sorted, I still think they might be the big surprise this year!

Voodoo looks sorted, Bear crew were working a carbon issues yesterday, will post a picture when I get a chance, very well know expert was lending a hand!

Spacegrrrl

Stupid smartphone type ahead Bear was working on the CARB yesterday... had two on the bench and looked to be frankensteining up a single carb.. Bear was back in the hangar this morning but out in the pits now

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Thanks for all the pit updates. Those little bits of information usually have a big impact upon what happens Sunday. Please keep them coming!

Watched Steve Jr and Sr having a conversation Monday. I remember thinking how great it must be for a young race pilot to have both Steve Hinton Sr and Tiger Destefani available for advise!

Comment

The Strega pit was very very quiet this afternoon. Rare Bear had the usual thrashing going on. John Penney did a test in the middle of the afternoon and Stu took her up at the end of the day for some high altitude orbits. Not happy with MAP/Torque numbers. Voodoo was quiet, Galloping Ghost was relatively quiet. Boil off hoses lying on the ground and I witnessed some 500mph bondo going on the leading edge of the wings. The crew member applying bondo corrected me, "522mph bondo" he replied, "theoretically". Furias was quiet.

Comment

Had a chance to speak with someone that has ties with some of the Strega team, They were told the prop service was percautionary because of the power settings used in qualifying. No failures were detected but they had the time to do the service and wanted to be safe.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Jeez..as much as I LOVE the Bear....'n I'm about done. That airplane has had problems with the carb since I don't know when. Back in ummm 2005(?) they fired on the ramp spit flames. obviously FAT ( rich )...borrowed from Taz..still ran like duukie...& still...?? Really..?

Don't start...unless you post theory. I want the Bear to kick everyone's ASS into next week. And...It can.

It however.looks ....like the boys @ Strega gots it together. And that's a GOOD thing...! Voodoo...? WhooEeeee.! Gonna be fun this year..!

GregS

Comment

Working...
                            X